Career changer to DPT with the GPA Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member888838

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to come to this forum to get some feedback for the cliché question, “What are my chances?” I am a 31 year old that works in the field of finance looking to make a career switch into Physical Therapy. This is a decision that I have been thinking about for quite some time now, and I have become absolutely committed to the prospect of it, so I feel that now is the time to get things rolling. While, I have no direct field experience, I have several close friends in the field that I have informally shadowed (and could easily do so formally, as one of them runs his own private clinic now). That said, I face some challenges ahead;

Cum GPA: 2.816
GRE: 1210 AWA: 4.5 (on 2 other tests I scored a 5)
Science courses taken:
Bio: 1.7 (ugh, I know)

So naturally, I have some concerns. I still have yet to take the majority of science prerequisites, which I view as a positive, a chance for redemption if you will. From the schools that I have contacted thus far, they mentioned that they will take the highest retaken score for the science GPA, but I am still worried that the PTCAS science GPA might be reflected negatively because it incorporates all science grades. Has anyone had experience with this or know of an admission committee’s viewpoint?

As for my cum GPA, there is the possibility of pulling it above a 3.0. I plan to take my prereqs at a community college (most schools also seem to be ok with this), but should I make it a priority to get above a 3.0 (i.e. by taking courses aside from just the sciences)? If schools say 3.0 minimum, and assuming I can get my cum GPA above that mark, will this be looked upon favorably by schools? I ask this question bc even though I may be able to get my GPA +3.0, that is just the minimum and I am afraid of schools looking at it as a situation where I took courses at community college (as compared to a 4 year) just to get my scores up. As mentioned, this can technically be done with just the prereqs, but that is assuming somewhere around a 3.7 in the sciences.

Lastly, is it worth retaking the GRE? I would prefer to focus on my prereq’s but I also feel that I could do perhaps a little bit better on the math section and bring that score higher. It’s a trade-off, but am curious to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Thanks again for any and all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

You should re-post this in the pre physical therapy forum. But, as a DPT student, here is my advice:

1) pull up your GPA as far above 3.0 as possible
2) do not retake your GRE if it is within 5 years. that's a competitive score
3) KILL YOUR PREREQUISITES.

apply broadly and you should have a good shot!

Thanks fejin, I should have mentioned, with respect to the GRE, they will exceed 5 years by the time I apply. However, I've spoken to a bunch of schools so far about this (Stony Brook, Buffalo, Delaware) just to get an idea of whether or not they would still take the scores and they all said they would. Delaware actually said I could submit the scores now and they would remain on file forever, while Buf said now that I have contacted them, they would hold them aside and Stony Brook mentioned that I could keep an official copy from ETS and send to them directly. Haven't contacted anyone else about but I am kinda banking on the trend here.

Members don't see this ad :)
You and I are the same person. I switched careers from Geographic Information Systems to physical therapy when I was 31 as well. My cumulative GPA from undergrad was 2.83 and I had some pathetic grades in the only science courses that I took. I made my decision, went back to night school and busted out my pre reqs. I worked really hard and ended with a 3.89 GPA for my pre reqs which BARELY put me above 3.0 cumulative. I applied to the only two programs in my state and got an interview at both. I was waitlisted at the more established/better reputation school and got into the other one. Never did get off the waitlist at the more established school, so went to the other school. Now, I am 35 and currently in semester 5 of the 8 semester program. It's been hard but worth it.

My advice? Kick butt in your pre reqs. I mean A's or A-'s in everything. That REALLY went a long way in getting interviews. I think the schools were impressed at my initiative and ability to succeed despite such poor performance in undergrad. Good luck and you can do it!

I was in a similar position too, a little higher undergrad GPA, but not by much; I had barely a 3.0 (and it was in Political Science, not engineering). I worked as a PT aide for a year when I was 30 and then spent my 31st year taking prereqs and made sure to get all As and A- ( i did get a B+ in Chem 1, but pulled it up in Chem 2). I do think your GRE score is competitive, but I would consider taking it again and pulling it up, if you can make the time. I didn't spend much time studying for the GRE, and got a 1280, but realized, after taking it, that a lot people had similar scores to mine, and wished I'd studied and pushed into a higher percentile. Some people with high GRE scores got scholarship offers, so that would have been worth a month studying the vocab. As a side note, I felt like it was some advantage being a little older (PT schools know you really want to be there) and, regarding prereqs, was impressed with my classes and really enjoyed them, so hopefully you will too. Good luck, you can definitely get into PT school if you really want it and put in the work.

I was in a similar position too, a little higher undergrad GPA, but not by much; I had barely a 3.0 (and it was in Political Science, not engineering). I worked as a PT aide for a year when I was 30 and then spent my 31st year taking prereqs and made sure to get all As and A- ( i did get a B+ in Chem 1, but pulled it up in Chem 2). I do think your GRE score is competitive, but I would consider taking it again and pulling it up, if you can make the time. I didn't spend much time studying for the GRE, and got a 1280, but realized, after taking it, that a lot people had similar scores to mine, and wished I'd studied and pushed into a higher percentile. Some people with high GRE scores got scholarship offers, so that would have been worth a month studying the vocab. As a side note, I felt like it was some advantage being a little older (PT schools know you really want to be there) and, regarding prereqs, was impressed with my classes and really enjoyed them, so hopefully you will too. Good luck, you can definitely get into PT school if you really want it and put in the work.

Good advice, but I disagree advising him/her to retake it(unless it is over five years old). I scored a 1270, and in Florida, that was extremely competitive. In the case of scholarship, I'm sure it was a combination of factors that won them that scholarship, which may have included the GRE, but I think getting the applicants GPA up should be their focus as it is their weakest stat.