Career-changers, how do you know that you'll get job satisfaction from being a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about those that have worked in different industries and have now realized that medicine is the path for them. What made you believe that you'll be happier at this job and not at your old job?

Members don't see this ad.

I was already miserable in my old profession. I knew I couldn't stick it out for another 20 years, so I started searching. Medicine was the first profession I actually felt excited about, but I thought maybe it was the novelty so I started volunteering while taking the pre requisite courses. After five years of this I was still as excited as I was when found it originally. Not really sure what else I could have done to properly vet it. Now I am in 3rd year on my surgery rotation. I have been putting in 70 hour weeks and I am still having a ball. I would rather spend 70 hours at the hospital than 40 in my previous profession.

Reactions: 1 users
Shadow, volunteer and take lots and lots of time on this decision (i.e. Years). Medicine can be a great job for the right person but absolutely is not for everyone, and you don't want to fall into a grass only seems greener situation. Definitely don't run to medicine just because you dislike your current job -- have some articulable reason medicine is a draw to you. As always mentioned on SDN, if you can picture yourself happy doing a job other than medicine, you probably should do that other job. Medicine has been great for me personally but I know others who feel like they took a wrong turn.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @ayjaystudent, you've started like 927 new threads in the last week. I think it may be more beneficial for you if you just do one summary post addressing who you are, your situation, and what guidance you're looking for. A lot of your questions are also super specific (e.g. specific course work for UC schools, etc) that are best answered by pre-medical advisors with those programs, not here. You seem very enthusiastic and eager and I don't want to squash your drive, but right now you are all over the place and I think that's hurting you from receiving solid advice.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious about those that have worked in different industries and have now realized that medicine is the path for them. What made you believe that you'll be happier at this job and not at your old job?
I will be miserable everywhere. I'd rather just be miserable in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
What law2doc said is accurate. I took a wrong turn. I knew it was wrong 12 years ago when I started this and that I'm nearing the end, surprise surprise, I wish more than anything I could go back and not do this and have my 20s doing something enjoyable.

Doctors get paid a lot and people want to like medicine for this reason. So much so they ignore the fact that it doesn't fit their personality.

What law2doc said is accurate. I took a wrong turn. I knew it was wrong 12 years ago when I started this and that I'm nearing the end, surprise surprise, I wish more than anything I could go back and not do this and have my 20s doing something enjoyable.

Doctors get paid a lot and people want to like medicine for this reason. So much so they ignore the fact that it doesn't fit their personality.

You mentioned "personality." Does it not match yours? How so?

Shadow and volunteer in various specialties and hospitals. Make sure to do time in a public hospital and free clinic. Medicine has fun moments but it is also filled daily with a dozen Little Johnnys who have a runny nose and Aunt Bettys who don't follow their diabetic diet. Not to mention the regular impacted bowels, fungal infections, projectile vomiters, etc. Then you have to decide DO/MD, PA, or NP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk