career changers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose you are a career changer. Say for instance you worked as an engineer for several years and are now considering pharmacy. If in the interview you are asked why pharmacy now or why not consider doing higher studies in the engineering field, what would be a satisfactory answer that would convince the adcom? How would you handle such a question?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, why ARE you leaving engineering? I'm a career changer, but I can't tell you why I'm leaving finance. It's personal to me/my life.

Most career changers know why they are leaving one field at the least...if not fully why they are pursuing another field specifically.

Honesty is the best policy.

I'm pursued higher education in Chemistry, worked in pharmaceutical R&D, but I missed working in health care as I had worked in a doctor's office for 4 years during undergrad. I've given up a solid career as a chemist because I want to be a clinical pharmacist for HIV patients since I'll have more impact on patient care.

You will have your own reason and the way that you phrased the question sounds like you're looking for a canned/rehearsed answer that you can share with an ad com. I've read enough of your posts so I don't think that is what you're doing at all; However, you should be honest about your reasoning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was honest, like Chemguy said.

It comes up any time someone knows I was in the Army and that I want to be a pharmacist, and the interviews were no exception.

After all, it does seem rather disjointed. Going from essentially humanities degrees to the military to a degree in pharmacy and a wholly different job than my record seems to suggest I'd do was a challenge to explain. Then again, it was pretty easy at the same time, because I was honest.

I got out of the Army not wanting to really work in direct government service again (i.e., as a contractor or DA civilian) so that eliminated pretty much every security / analyst position they offered me after I was discharged. Next, I didn't really want to finish a graduate degree in Biopsychology or MCB, and I had the perfect storm of taking classes in California Drug and Alcohol Abuse counseling and my aunt, who is a cardiologist, suggesting I look into health field careers. She didn't initially suggest pharmacy but her suggestions, such as CLS and Respiratory Therapy got me into the mindset, then the brief intro. on pharmacokinetics made me fall in love and, as my name suggests, I discovered what I've deemed a "late onset" love of science!

And that was obviously good enough for the folks at UoP. Honesty IS always the best policy. These people are professional interviewers for the most part. They see hundreds of people every year and they can smell BS a mile away.

here's some good advice for you:

Tell the admissions people that you're crazy, no pun intended. Tell them that having a job and making money is not important to you. You can also add that you don't believe all the glaring evidence that the market for pharmacists is not completely saturated and that by 2015 our profession is only going to expand. if you're an engineer, even a relatively successful one, making a switch to pharmacy would literally be the dumbest life decision you have ever made. you will end up in debt and jobless. get an MBA and move up the ladder, don't be stupid.

here's some good advice for you:

Tell the admissions people that you're crazy, no pun intended. Tell them that having a job and making money is not important to you. You can also add that you don't believe all the glaring evidence that the market for pharmacists is not completely saturated and that by 2015 our profession is only going to expand. if you're an engineer, even a relatively successful one, making a switch to pharmacy would literally be the dumbest life decision you have ever made. you will end up in debt and jobless. get an MBA and move up the ladder, don't be stupid.

I thought I remembered reading this exact same thing somewhere before.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9645539#post9645539 :smuggrin:

To the OP: I had an engineering background as well. I just explained that the human factor was what was most important when I was deciding what to do with the rest of my life. Well, that, and never wearing a hard hat again.

Ever.

I cited "engineering" as an example. Actually, I am working in the field of fisheries science and I am not enjoying my job at all. I have my masters and bachelors in the same field. I got into this field because of my immature career decisions back when I was a teenager. I tried to love this field by getting advanced degrees in this field, but unfortunately I feel this is not my cup of tea. After my Master's degree I got a job (my present job), but I am not happy with the job duties. So I considered a job switch and thought about pharmacy because I love chemistry and would like to learn about the application of chemistry in health care. In addition, pharmacy offers a great deal of prestige.

If it's what you really want to do, take some time to volunteer, shadow (so you can REALLY know what the job entails, vs just application of chemistry in health care) and then tell admissions your exact story (with some tweaking...and leaving out the prestige part).

You made a career decision based on exposure when you were young. You followed through and even pursued higher education in the field (shows dedication). You wanted to make sure that you were dedicated to your decision to leave. Doing so after having such vested interest in an industry shows you are pretty serious. After getting some shadowing in so that you can definitively say this is your next move, I think that is enough of an explanation. No need to sugar coat it. Tell the truth.

If it's what you really want to do, take some time to volunteer, shadow (so you can REALLY know what the job entails, vs just application of chemistry in health care) and then tell admissions your exact story (with some tweaking...and leaving out the prestige part).

You made a career decision based on exposure when you were young. You followed through and even pursued higher education in the field (shows dedication). You wanted to make sure that you were dedicated to your decision to leave. Doing so after having such vested interest in an industry shows you are pretty serious. After getting some shadowing in so that you can definitively say this is your next move, I think that is enough of an explanation. No need to sugar coat it. Tell the truth.

Thanks for your helpful message BelleMD! I have already started volunteering as a pharm tech in a hospital and I am liking it a lot. From the volunteer experience, I am learning the names of different drugs, learning about high tech equipments/machines in pharmacy, IV preparation and so on.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. My bachelor's is in civil engineering and my master's in business. I started out in construction project management for 5 years, but got tired of fighting with subcontractors for 10 hours a day. So, I changed careers...for the FIRST time. I went to flight school and became a pilot. It was an ok lifestyle when I was single, but now I am married with 1 kid and another on the way. I got tired of being gone from home 2/3 of the year and missing my kid(s) grow up. Plus the way the airline industry is going, I wanted to find something more personally rewarding and fulfilling. So after being a pilot for the last 11 years, I decided to change careers..AGAIN. I looked into professions that I thought would be fun, challenging, and a good fit. I shadowed some pharmacists, enjoyed what I was experiencing and helping people, and decided to try and get into a pharmD program. I have now been accepted into Shenandoah's class of 2015 and start next Fall. Life changes, people change, priorities change.

That is EXACTLY how I told my story to the interviewers.