Career in medical research or basic sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindCastle15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So I just recently graduated from high school, and I'm about to go to college. Ever since I remember, I've always been interested in research, and I am particularly interested in molecular biology, genetics and cancer research, bioinformatics. Other fields I'm really interested in are pharmacology and toxicology. I love how chemicals work and how they affect the body.
My question is, would going to graduate school and then getting a PhD in the basic sciences be a better idea, or going to medical school, then pursuing research be a better idea? (MD/PhD)
About my interest in medicine: I love learning how the body works, BUT I hate the memorization that med schools compel you to do (if I'm not wrong)...I want stuff that requires thinking. :)
I am not interested in sitting in clinics and treating patients (though I want to work with MSF- this sounds a bit conflicted, but yeah)
Lab work interests me though :) Pathology/pharmacology/microbiology seems to be good paths after medicine. The reason I'm thinking about medicine as a career is because I have heard a lot about how research gets tedious after a while, and maybe a job in non-academic lines would be less stressful later in life. With medicine, I can easily switch. I should probably mention that the "lucrative" job plays a small role here.
However I have qualms about going into a profession where MOST jobs are about patient contact. Its not that I would hate it, but its not what I really want to do either.
It would be great if anybody could help me out with my dilemma :p I would really prefer it if people who have pursued these fields post here, OR people who are currently pursuing these fields...the experience would really help. This is my first post on this forum, so thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if I have any misconceptions here, you are welcome to clear it up (from experienced people, of course)
Other than the fields I mentioned, I am really interested in the brain as well- neuroscience- studying diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinson's...is it possible for a basic science major to research in these areas? Without being a doctor?

Last edited:
Also, if I have any misconceptions here, you are welcome to clear it up (from experienced people, of course)
So you are unwilling to listen to plain reason? Experience is not the only teacher, but I suppose your final comment is a misconception thus I have addressed it.

On to the bulk of your query:
Have you spoken to anyone at local MD/PhD programs? They can give you an idea of exactly how much patient contact their graduates are undergoing for something other than individual anecdotes. If you have 0 interest in patient work, the additional time, exams etc for the MD side of an MD/PhD program are not going to be particularly beneficial. The MD/PhD program I hope to go into for example reports that some 85% of their graduates of the program are involved in Academic research/ teaching after 15 years.

Now the good thing is that you decided to go into research early, so you can get involved in academic research early and show the programs you apply to that you are committed to research. Again using my hoped for program as an example, they want letters of recommendation for two research advisors, so you have 3 years in which to get those 2 letters and the associated experience.

What I would do in your position, personally, take physics and calc your first year, if you are very strong in sciences and they will let you, take Chemistry as well you will also want to start your foreign language if your university requires it for your undergrad program. See if you can't squeeze in a statistics class as well. Then sophomore year take your organic chemistry and biology as well as some research practicums or the like. Your university advisor should be able to help you with much of the planning. The point is you need the early foundation work to get the most from your research work and you want research work fairly early on.

TL;DR:
Talk tot he programs you think you are interested in pursuing, ask them how much patient contact if going to occur if that is the deal breaker for you. Also talk to their graduates, ask them similar questions. Start your maths and sciences early, rely on your academic advisor for guidance. ALso get some shadowing experience, the patient contact may be very different than what you believe it to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not interested in seeing patients then I don't think there is a good reason to go the dual degree route.

If you are unsure - which is what is to be expected after finishing high school - then get some experience in the clinic and confirm (or turnaround!) your decision to not work with patients. Get involved in research as soon as possible and see if you really like it. Many students like the idea of research but then get into a lab and realize they hate it. It's important to be honest with yourself. After you get some experience in both areas you can know for sure. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You just finished high school. Go get As, get a high MCAT, do a few years of research, shadow some physicians, volunteer in a healthcare setting, and this will all figure itself out in a few years. You will find out first if you have what it takes for MD/PhD or even MD-only, and second whether you prefer MD, PhD, or MD/PhD routes.

If you don't figure it out by junior year, come post again then.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help...I will definitely try to volunteer and find out which I like better- research or patient contact. Its not that I absolutely HATE patient contact, I just find it boring and repetitive...no intellectual stimulation. I think Pathology is the right fit for me in every way, but I hear bad stuff about the job market.
Also, my situation is a little more complicated than that. I'm an US citizen who lives in India (I finished high school from India). I am considering 2 options- going back to the US to study medicine, and going through those 8 years (and more) , or going to the UK to study medicine which is a lot less time-consuming...an added benefit to studying in the UK would be that I can easily come back to India (I want to keep that option open, though I am not sure where I will ultimately stay- US or India)...however, MD/PhD won't be an option then :p Also, I've heard its difficult for international students to get residency spots in the US. So I don't REALLY have a lot of time to decide :p (I'm taking a gap year, btw- due to some special circumstances)... You see my dilemma....I know this isn't the right forum, but could anyone here tell me what its like for life science graduates later on down the road?

Thanks for the help...I will definitely try to volunteer and find out which I like better- research or patient contact. Its not that I absolutely HATE patient contact, I just find it boring and repetitive...no intellectual stimulation. I think Pathology is the right fit for me in every way, but I hear bad stuff about the job market.
Also, my situation is a little more complicated than that. I'm an US citizen who lives in India (I finished high school from India). I am considering 2 options- going back to the US to study medicine, and going through those 8 years (and more) , or going to the UK to study medicine which is a lot less time-consuming...an added benefit to studying in the UK would be that I can easily come back to India (I want to keep that option open, though I am not sure where I will ultimately stay- US or India)...however, MD/PhD won't be an option then :p Also, I've heard its difficult for international students to get residency spots in the US. So I don't REALLY have a lot of time to decide :p (I'm taking a gap year, btw- due to some special circumstances)... You see my dilemma....I know this isn't the right forum, but could anyone here tell me what its like for life science graduates later on down the road?

I did O Levels. GCSEs, 3 A levels and 2 S Levels. IFF (if and only if) you intend on returning to India permanently to do research, then British schools are your likely best bet. You are correct you do not have as much time as some have lead you to believe. You have at most 2 years to make the decision, but not for the reason you think You have two years because that is when a pure research degree is going to start to vary widely from an MD/PhD program. You will need more maths and deeper sciences than a a pre-med program is going to allow you. As for being an international student, you are an American citizen, that makes a difference. IT also does make a difference that you are looking to return to India. What is your highschool do you have an IB or a local degree?

I did O Levels. GCSEs, 3 A levels and 2 S Levels. IFF (if and only if) you intend on returning to India permanently to do research, then British schools are your likely best bet. You are correct you do not have as much time as some have lead you to believe. You have at most 2 years to make the decision, but not for the reason you think You have two years because that is when a pure research degree is going to start to vary widely from an MD/PhD program. You will need more maths and deeper sciences than a a pre-med program is going to allow you. As for being an international student, you are an American citizen, that makes a difference. IT also does make a difference that you are looking to return to India. What is your highschool do you have an IB or a local degree?
I have a local Indian degree (ISC board). And so far I have decided that I will probably work in the US, but I want the option to return to India, even if I don't. To me, it seems like medicine is the better option...I would love learning everything about medicine...its just the patient contact I'm not sure I would be comfortable with. Studying medicine will provide me with a lot of options...hopefully, by the time I'm finished with my MD/MBBS...I will have learnt whether I like patient contact, lab work (pathology is really interesting me) or whether I like research...medicine will give me the flexibility to choose. By getting a basic science degree, I will not be able to make that choice, and if I don't like research, I'll be stuck there anyway...I would really really love to do what you guys suggested above- shadowing doctors and doing research- however, living in India, thats not really possible. I will probably be able to shadow doctors but there's no way I can do research at this stage, to see if its for me or not :p The reason I asked the question in the first place is because I want to know if I'll be wasting my time doing medicine when I can get to the same place with a basic science degree. Because medicine is a lot more than the science, right? Most people I know who do research in medicine, figured out AFTERWARDS, that they prefer the research to say, patient contact. Are there people who study medicine solely for the sake of doing research? Because that would really bolster my confidence. Also, how difficult is it for UK medical students to get residency in the US? I've heard a lot of them fail their USMLE's? Thanks a lot for ur patience! I ramble a lot :p

Other than genetics, I'm interested in a NUMBER of fields in medicine- stem cell therapy, neuroscience, pharmacology, forensic toxicology, cancer research, psychology and loads others. One path I've heard people take particularly appealed to me: residency in pathology and phd in neuroscience. I'm not even sure WHICH of these I ultimately want to do. And having a basic science degree- will it make it harder to enter these fields? After all, MD/PhDs will be more qualified than me...if it comes to that, I will do medicine in the US. The total process will take around 12 years-right? But if I enjoy it, will it be a problem?

I would really really love to do what you guys suggested above- shadowing doctors and doing research- however, living in India, thats not really possible.

Have you tried contacting the alumni board of your school. They should have a list of alumni and what they are doing profession wise now. You may well be able to find some doctors whop are still local, have ties with yoru school and so would allow you to shadow them. You will never know until you ask.

Have you tried contacting the alumni board of your school. They should have a list of alumni and what they are doing profession wise now. You may well be able to find some doctors whop are still local, have ties with yoru school and so would allow you to shadow them. You will never know until you ask.
That is an excellent idea, and I will definitely try it- thank you! :)

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that you can do research with just an MD as well! Plus, you can work in an academic center, do a half day of clinic per week, and get a $100-300 thousand dollar per year salary increase (depending on specialty). It's not common for physicians to be 50/50 research and clinical--most do 90/10 or 75/25 and this floats my boat!

Good luck with your journey and don't listen to some of the mockery/negative comments here. SDNers have sticks up their butts sometimes! :)

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that you can do research with just an MD as well! Plus, you can work in an academic center, do a half day of clinic per week, and get a $100-300 thousand dollar per year salary increase (depending on specialty). It's not common for physicians to be 50/50 research and clinical--most do 90/10 or 75/25 and this floats my boat!

Good luck with your journey and don't listen to some of the mockery/negative comments here. SDNers have sticks up their butts sometimes! :)

:D :D But as I asked above, are there many doctors who study medicine SOLELY for the sake of research? I wouldn't hate patient contact, its just not something I want to do all my life...just sitting at a desk and handing out prescriptions. Maybe a research/lab balance would be good?

In terms of job outlook, which one is a better option- medicine or basic science degree? Don't get me wrong, I am NOT going to do medicine only for the money- I do love helping people- its just not the ONLY thing I want to do- there are other things (like research) I am more keen on doing.

I wouldn't hate patient contact, its just not something I want to do all my life...just sitting at a desk and handing out prescriptions.

I feel perfectly entitled to mock someone who hasn't even started college yet but seems to think I sit at a desk and hand out prescriptions all day in clinic :eyebrow:

I feel perfectly entitled to mock someone who hasn't even started college yet but seems to think I sit at a desk and hand out prescriptions all day in clinic :eyebrow:
I'm pretty sure you know that I don't mean you do "just" that...I'm just saying, that from all I've seen (and I have family members who are doctors), I don't find it very appealing.