Career outlook for EM-CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILEMres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I'm interested in a career in CC. I graduated EM residency in 2013 and am planning on applying to start fellowship in July '16. My question is, how difficult is it to obtain a full time position in critical care (after fellowship) coming in from an EM-CC background? And what about an academic position? Thanks guys/gals for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Decided to apply for perm position at fellowship hospital. It's the people that make the job. Will be working nocturnist role, okay with me.

Did you find that the availability of daytime jobs was limited?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only applied at 2 other places. Positions/job description about the same. Work 7 on 7 off schedule and there is talk about rotating from day to night at current facility.

Don't think it will happen, I actually prefer nights. Don't want to be retrained to new EMR & level of trust with your team is important to me.

Nobody will be able to give you a definite answer because it's so new.
There are no guarantees.

Will both EM and CC docs be in high demand for the next 10-20 years?
Most likely.

Will you be able to practice both EM and CC at the same time?
Yes, depending on how geographically flexible you are, how much you're willing to work, and how willing you are to have less control over both practice environments.

Right now people doing this are forging the path, rather than following it.

Reactions: 1 users
Job outlook is good. Position in ED/ICU at same hospital is more difficult, but not impossible. I had offers from many places across the US for positions, in both ed/icu, ed + resus ICU, and only ICU.

Ended up taking a job in only ICU to start, but will probably moonlight in the ed and make it .25 FTE in about a year. Ultimately being EM helped me as many PCCM guys are trying to balance work as a pulmonary physician with clinic and outpt requirements with CCM. I was willing to sign up for 2 weeks a month of ICU and no other commitments which I think made my offfer more attractive.

What sort of job offers where you getting for the 2 week ICU gig. 12hr shifts? What was the hourly rate range that people were throwing around? Thanks