Career Pathways (if not accepted or continuing)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd ask this as I am most likely not going into pharmacy school anymore due to a low GPA (2.8) and basically no applicable EC/Work Experience.

I'm a junior right now, I've taken pretty much all the classes needed thus far, I still have Org II and BioChem left..

My major is 'Biomedical Sciences' basically a premed type path.

What are some options I have as far as career paths with this degree? At this point I am pretty frustrated and my biggest worry is that continuing is just a waste of time/money even if I were to raise my GPA above 3.0

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously you could always try to raise your GPA up above a 3.0 and then eek your way into med school through a masters or something, but it would be a lot of work and no garuntee. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot you can do with a science degree other than go to med, dentral, pharmacy, or ms/phd route. This means you will either end up working in a hospital or lab. What I mean is, your degree might not be "usefull" unless you go to one of those routes.

On the other hand, there are tons of careers out there that are health based but not really science based, like chiropractors, accupunturists, etc. So it depends why you want to be a doctor to begin with. And then there are the less intense sciency ones like podiatry, optomotry, etc....and the other public servicy jobs like law enforcement, paramedic, fire, etc.

Of course, just because you have a science degree does not mean you have to wrok in the sciences..you could work in business too. Regardless of what a lot of people will tell you, you do not need to be a business major to be a buisinessperson. In fact, I do not recommend being a business major even if you intend to be a businessman/woman. Learn a trade, then apply it to to a business. Anyway, there is a lot of stuff you can do, so pick one that interests you...the sky is the limit.

epix said:
Figured I'd ask this as I am most likely not going into pharmacy school anymore due to a low GPA (2.8) and basically no applicable EC/Work Experience.

I'm a junior right now, I've taken pretty much all the classes needed thus far, I still have Org II and BioChem left..

My major is 'Biomedical Sciences' basically a premed type path.

What are some options I have as far as career paths with this degree? At this point I am pretty frustrated and my biggest worry is that continuing is just a waste of time/money even if I were to raise my GPA above 3.0

thanks

You forgot to mention DO school. OP could definitely raise his/her GPA up enough to get into a DO school, and become a doctor.

(please no anti-DO statements anyone).