About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

career switch

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by sk678, Sep 18, 2003.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. sk678

sk678 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    i was hoping there were some well informed people or neurologists that could help me.

i am in my preliminary year now and scheduled to begin a residency in a very competative field next year, i graduated at the top of my class last year of an american medical school with top board scores.

however, i have recently been interested in possibly switching to the field of neurology although others think im nuts.

however i would like to know a few things......

what is the call exactly like?

can i make more than 300K without killing myself?

what is the average income?
    (i know im taking a huge income cut from the field im switching from already)

how easy is it to start a private practice?

are people in this field generally happy?

how competative are fellowships?

how necesary are fellowships to geta good job or start off a good practice??

do you think its possible to call up a program at this point in the year and see if they have a spot for next year available, assuming that you are an outstanding student ?

please let me know if you guys know

thanks
  2. neurologist

neurologist Schussing Moderator

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 10+ Year Member
    1. How about starting by talking to some neurologists in your own hospital or arranging to do a neurology rotation?

2. Call is highly variable depending on where, how and what you practice. Some positions have no call at all. Others you might be on call for a week straight every other week. Others might be on call very often but rarely actually get called. You may only have to do "phone consults" advising primary care or other docs on what to do over the phone, or you may be running in to the ER all the time to admit to your own service. Depending on where and for how much you are willing to work, you can probably find some situation with an acceptable level of call.

3. Average salary for a neurologist with a couple years practice is 180-200K. You will NOT make >300K without killing yourself.

4. You mean start your own private practice? I imagine it's pretty damn hard (not to mention expensive).

5. I believe I actually recently saw a survey that claimed about 80% or so of neurologists are generally satisfied with their lives.

6. Fellowships are helpful although not completely necessary. The most popular (and most practically useful) is a neurophysiology fellowship (EEG, EMG, etc). Competitiveness is like competitiveness for residency: big name program (MGH, Mayo, Hopkins) = highly competitive and geared toward cranking out academics. Less renowned program = teaches you the same stuff and if you're going into private practice nobody really cares where you did your fellowship.

7. Possibe? Yes. Likely? No. Go to www.sfmatch.org and look through the unfilled neurology residency positions open for whatever year you are interested in starting in.
  3. gyri

gyri Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    neurologist, I sent you a PM
  4. oldandtired

oldandtired Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Stat MRI for sk678- rule out pathology!
  5. Pinky

Pinky and the Brain

SDN 7+ Year Member
    spots open up all the time. i just quit my neurology program and have applied to another specialty. now, my program has to fill my position.
  6. ebamato

ebamato Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Care to share what you're switching into? I'm in psych and considering switching into PM & R or neuro. Any advise?
  7. gyri

gyri Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    ebamato,

I sent you a PM.

gyri