Caribbean MD (SMU) vs. DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need as much help and advice as I could receive. I have my Bs in Radiation Oncology with tons of clinical ratation experience as well as employment at 3 diff facilities, community involvment etc. I was supposed to take my MCAT this past August but I missed out on it due to some personal crisis. I have an overall 3.1 and science of 3.2 gpa, but I don't know how competitive this is going to be for application. Iam kinda giving up on applying to MD schools for 07, cuz I missed the MCAT and dont know if they'll accept it if I take it in January??? Plus I think my application will not be as comepetitve .
I applied and got accepted into a caribbean school (SMU), cuz I dont want to waste any more time, iam already 26, so it is kinda hard for me to wait any longer. I thought about applying to DO schools at the same time
What would you do if you were in my shoe. DO or SMU MD??

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I need as much help and advice as I could receive. I have my Bs in Radiation Oncology with tons of clinical ratation experience as well as employment at 3 diff facilities, community involvment etc. I was supposed to take my MCAT this past August but I missed out on it due to some personal crisis. I have an overall 3.1 and science of 3.2 gpa, but I don't know how competitive this is going to be for application. Iam kinda giving up on applying to MD schools for 07, cuz I missed the MCAT and dont know if they'll accept it if I take it in January??? Plus I think my application will not be as comepetitve .
I applied and got accepted into a caribbean school (SMU), cuz I dont want to waste any more time, iam already 26, so it is kinda hard for me to wait any longer. I thought about applying to DO schools at the same time
What would you do if you were in my shoe. DO or SMU MD??

Thanks all

Aren't the DO schools gonna need your MCAT scores as well? Most people would tell you to go to DO because it's a lot tougher to get a US residency from a carribean school than from a DO school. That's what I hear at least but have no personal experience. Plus you gotta look at expense, distance from family, if the carribean schools offer financial aid, etc, etc. I would try to stay in the US, but sometimes, you do what you gotta do.

Well finances is not going to be a problem I can a get loan no problem. Iam a canadian citizen, so moving away from family is going to be the same for as if I went to a caribbean or US school. But iam not sure how competitive my application is going to be with my grades. ANd will the Jan07 MCAT be acceptable by schools for 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.