Caribbean Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temple1st

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about giving up on Podiatry and applying to AUC and become a MD what do u think? (also posted on Inter. Forum)
Current Pod Student.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to what prompted this change of heart. Why don't you leave Chinatown and join me at the Health Sciences Campus i.e. apply to Temple's medical school!

Here's the order I would recommend:

1. U.S. MD school
2. DO school

(these are pretty equivalent, in my opinion)

3. Foreign MD school and only AUC, Ross and one other I can't remember

4. DDS school

5. Podiatry

Under no circumstances should you ever consider chiropractic school

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Toejam
Here's the order I would recommend:

1. U.S. MD school
2. DO school

(these are pretty equivalent, in my opinion)

3. Foreign MD school and only AUC, Ross and one other I can't remember

Should also add St. George's University in Gernada. Its the best school in the islands, if you are considering going that way.

Good luck

According to the International University of Health Sciences online catalog, graduates are allowed to sit for the Educational Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates exam (USMLE Steps 1, 2. and 3). (That is what it says, don't ask me). Are the graduates of this school reconized by any of the state or territorial governments in the US? Is this school even a credible one? I'm just curious, I don't plan on applying there, but I just wanted to ask about this online commotion going on in the podiatry forum and other forums.

Thank you.

Each school has a different reputation for placing graduates into stateside residency programs. Getting an MD is useless unless you can also do a recognized residency program in the U.S. (that is, unless you plan on practicing in another country).

Basically, they need to be recognized by the World Health Organization and you need to be qualified to sit for the boards. The only 3 that I know to be reputable are the American School of the Carribean, Ross and St. George's. I would personally avoid any of the others just to be safe.

I have a friend at St Georges.. and they do sit for the USMLE and they leave Grenada third year to do rotations in New York. (i'm not such which MD school they affiliate with but that's how they do rotations). If you're interested in going caribbean I would talk to some of the students going through it and make sure it's for you before you apply.. it's a LOT of money.

IUHS is one big scam!! Call any of their three numbers and the same lady always answers. They have only been in existence for a few years, and although they are WHO recognized, that could change in a heartbeat. I was looking into their distance learning option for PA's (which I am ), and I was convinced they were fraudulent. Ask them for the name of someone doing a rotation stateside, and ask to know the name of the institution that they are rotating at. Then see if they even sat anyone for the USMLE step one. I have been told that many states are closely watching them and will probably not license anyone from that school even if they take the USMLE and pass it. They are being investigated and will undoubtedly not produce any MD's who can practice outside of St. Kitts!!