Caribbean school or retake MCAT?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstruck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 21 and took the MCAT end of my Junior year in the Spring and bombed it.
I got a 23 and so didn't apply to any US schools. I graduated last summerwith a 3.4 Microbio degree and instead took a year off and have been working as a CNA and getting more clinical experience.

I applied to Ross in the Caribbean last summer and recently was accepted.

Now I don't know what to do!
Should I retake the MCAT and wait a year to reapply to US schools or should I go to Ross starting in May?
I'm worried that if I go to Ross and am not in the top 1% with a high STEP 1 score I won't get my residency choices and have a huge loan to pay off.

Any advice?!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the MCAT. Even a few points higher will help you increase your chances of getting into a DO school. Any US school is better than the Caribbean. Don't sell yourself short. The extra work you put into studying will be worth it. :thumbup:

Total no-brainer, especially at your age. Retake the MCAT and apply to US schools. Caribbean should be a last resort--it would be foolish to go without doing everything that can be done to improve your application.

IMO, the only time to consider Caribbean schools is if ou have applied widely to US MD and DO schools for several cycles without an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the MCAT and reapply to American schools, both MD and DO. Ross is one of the better Carib schools, but still, the squeeze is on for international grads to find American residency slots. It's only going to get worse what with expanding American med school classes and all the new American schools opening up.

Edit: Hah, I love that three of us all posted the exact same thing at the exact same time.

You'd be a fool to go to the carribean without applying a few cycles in the US.

I agree with everyone here, retake the MCAT and apply to US Schools. You can do it!

There are several people I have seen in the DO forum with similar stats to you that have gotten in. Maybe you should have applied, you probably would have been among them now. There is one person with 3.47/3.22/23 that got 5 interviews in fact, albeit all at brand new and newer schools.

Apply to more DO schools. Retake MCAT and focus on DO schools. If you get above a 30 I would also try a few MD schools. A 3.4 is low for MD but alright for DO. At this point the MCAT is what counts. Good luck.