Caribbeans and Pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catnips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone;

So I wasn't considering the Caribbean schools because my husband is here in the U.S. , and we have a pitbull (read they are banned down there). But upon taking a look at my VMCAS GPA, I am absolutely freaking out and I think I should apply to Caribbean. If I do so, my husband would stay here with our pitbull since he wouldn't be able to work there, and I would leave for the Caribbean. (yay, long distance relationships... :() My question is, has anyone brought their pet into the Caribbeans? I have a cat that I really can not leave behind and was wondering if there are any issues anyone have faced on this?

I have googled and got some info about general bringing your pet to Caribbean stuff, but I wanted to hear from any vet students if there would be any problems that are not specifically written down.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There shouldn't be any problems as long as your cat is healthy and up to date on vaccines. I haven't done it personally but one of my good friends brought her kitty down here with no problems. They have to be quarantined for a month (you still get to have your pet with you at home but it can't go outside or leave your property), there is some paperwork, and the local vet here will have to meet you at the airport when you arrive and then come out once a week to check on your cat but it's a fairly smooth process. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to take your pet back with you on breaks, it gets extremely costly and there are so many students leaving the island for good that are trying to get their pets home so it's courteous to let them have the pet spots on the flight... unfortunately there are only so many. This is the St. Kitts protocol, I'm unsure of the other islands but maybe someone can weigh in!

There shouldn't be any problems as long as your cat is healthy and up to date on vaccines. I haven't done it personally but one of my good friends brought her kitty down here with no problems. They have to be quarantined for a month (you still get to have your pet with you at home but it can't go outside or leave your property), there is some paperwork, and the local vet here will have to meet you at the airport when you arrive and then come out once a week to check on your cat but it's a fairly smooth process. Keep in mind that you probably won't be able to take your pet back with you on breaks, it gets extremely costly and there are so many students leaving the island for good that are trying to get their pets home so it's courteous to let them have the pet spots on the flight... unfortunately there are only so many. This is the St. Kitts protocol, I'm unsure of the other islands but maybe someone can weigh in!

Thank you so much! This helps a ton - I heard of the quarantine and was scared of it - glad to hear it's only a quarantine at home. I also heard that you have to live on campus for your first semester at Ross, is this true or can you get off campus housing? I know on campus housings usually are not pet friendly.
I also thought at Ross you attend school all year long, so I thought we wouldn't be going home too often or for too long anyways?

Thanks so much for weighing in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! This helps a ton - I heard of the quarantine and was scared of it - glad to hear it's only a quarantine at home. I also heard that you have to live on campus for your first semester at Ross, is this true or can you get off campus housing? I know on campus housings usually are not pet friendly.
I also thought at Ross you attend school all year long, so I thought we wouldn't be going home too often or for too long anyways?

Thanks so much for weighing in!
You are correct in that you are required to live on campus your first semester, however in extenuating circumstances they will allow you to live off campus right from the get go. Some of the reasons I know of are coming to the island with a significant other/spouse, having animals that you absolutely cannot find someone to take care of while you're gone, and probably others. Honestly, I really enjoyed living on campus and it was a good way to bond with the class. A lot of classmates that lived off campus often times felt left out. I usually recommend living on campus and then bringing your pet down the next break if you can. But if not, you'll still be fine.

You're also correct that we're year round here, but we do get three breaks. They're not very long however. Two weeks in April, 2 in August (except next year it's 3!! lol) and 3 for December. It's up to you if you want to go home. I personally need to get off the island every once in awhile for my sanity and to see my family/fiancé but I do know some people that stay. But there are a lot of people here that are wanting to take their pets home this break (for Christmas) and they're running into some issues because the students transitioning to clinics have first priority of the pet spots on the planes so anyone taking their pet home basically has to wait until the transitioning students have left. But if you're ok with leaving your cat here while you're on breaks and hiring a pet sitter, then go for it!

You are correct in that you are required to live on campus your first semester, however in extenuating circumstances they will allow you to live off campus right from the get go. Some of the reasons I know of are coming to the island with a significant other/spouse, having animals that you absolutely cannot find someone to take care of while you're gone, and probably others. Honestly, I really enjoyed living on campus and it was a good way to bond with the class. A lot of classmates that lived off campus often times felt left out. I usually recommend living on campus and then bringing your pet down the next break if you can. But if not, you'll still be fine.

You're also correct that we're year round here, but we do get three breaks. They're not very long however. Two weeks in April, 2 in August (except next year it's 3!! lol) and 3 for December. It's up to you if you want to go home. I personally need to get off the island every once in awhile for my sanity and to see my family/fiancé but I do know some people that stay. But there are a lot of people here that are wanting to take their pets home this break (for Christmas) and they're running into some issues because the students transitioning to clinics have first priority of the pet spots on the planes so anyone taking their pet home basically has to wait until the transitioning students have left. But if you're ok with leaving your cat here while you're on breaks and hiring a pet sitter, then go for it!

Yeah, to be honest last thing I would want would be to feel left out at vet school. I guess 4 months without my cat shouldn't be too long. Thank you so much for all the info! I am applying to Ross! So excited! :).

there is no quarantine period in grenada fyi, not sure about grand caymen.

Oh that's great! Thank u! :) I will be applying to SGU as well I think. Mind if I ask, how did you like your time there?

Yup, no quarantine in Grenada like jmo said and I have plenty of classmates with pets down here! Cats should be pretty easy to fly down since they can be kept in a small carrier with you

Yup, no quarantine in Grenada like jmo said and I have plenty of classmates with pets down here! Cats should be pretty easy to fly down since they can be kept in a small carrier with you

That's what I would hope to do, my only fear is that he is a big cat, hopefully we won't go over 16 lbs (I think that's the limit). Glad to hear people bring their pets and it's doable! Thank you all so much :)