Carving Question (Canadian DAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few question regarding carving, hopefully someone can help out!

1) In previous threads, it was mentioned that if you used your pencil to layout the lines, and you pressed too hard and made grooves - you'd be penalized for that. If you were to use your blade to layout the lines, wouldn't you be doing the same thing? My question is, do you get penalized for making grooves instead of surface marks - like with the marker?

3) When people talk about the excess flash, are they referring to the raised line that runs along the entire bar and the flat ends of the soap? So we are allowed to remove these bumps during the "pre-carving" period? I hope so because these bumps are making it difficult to lay down those end lines with accuracy.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few question regarding carving, hopefully someone can help out!

1) In previous threads, it was mentioned that if you used your pencil to layout the lines, and you pressed too hard and made grooves - you'd be penalized for that. If you were to use your blade to layout the lines, wouldn't you be doing the same thing? My question is, do you get penalized for making grooves instead of surface marks - like with the marker?

3) When people talk about the excess flash, are they referring to the raised line that runs along the entire bar and the flat ends of the soap? So we are allowed to remove these bumps during the "pre-carving" period? I hope so because these bumps are making it difficult to lay down those end lines with accuracy.

Thanks!

You're allowed to scratch lines into the soap using the pencil or the knife, and no you'll never get penalized for these. If you make them too deep though your edges will be rough.

And yeah I think that's what people mean when they say excess flash, but no you're not allowed to do anything at all to your soap during the 5 minute pre-carving period. I dont actually reccomend removing the excess anyways because it gives you a pre-made center-line, so half the work is done for you.

Thank-you :)

yes you will be penalized if your lines are too deep..they should be as superficial as possible.

and i prefer to use the pencil vs. the knife for marking my soap..because the knife can take flakes off because its too sharp