Case Report for the ACP poster submission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nivakia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to submit a case report on a patient who presented a common symptom of this disease, but was overlooked on a prior admission because it was very subtle, and during this current admission the patient had a worsening of this life threatening symptom. Had the patient received adequate follow up before he would have done fine. The disease was confirmed with labs and biopsy.

You guys think it's interesting enough for a submission? The patient did not have any of the other overt symptoms that is associated with this disease which was probably why it got overlooked. The labs from the prior admission CBC were indicative but non specific. I did a search it seem that for this one symptom to present solely is rare quoting general websites

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly from when I was a third-year student and looking at this, the regional (?state) meeting of ACP in my state said that common diseases were fair game for case reports, especially if they reinforced good practices (like keeping a broad differential, paying attention to physical exam findings, thorough patient history, etc.)

Your post is sufficiently vague that it's hard for me to know how interesting this would be as a case report, but in general any missed diagnosis that re-presents later on is a potentially interesting case report.

My suggestion: Talk to an advisor, see what they think. Try to give them some more details to work with though :prof: