This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaomiM

slowly going gray
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, there's no thread yet for Case! Has anyone else submitted an app here?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Submitted: 12/21/15. Completed: 1/4/16. surprisingly quick turnaround.

That is fantastic! What were your stats? I'm taking the MCAT in 2 weeks and then will apply but I am wondering if I should just apply now with a GRE score.

That is fantastic! What were your stats? I'm taking the MCAT in 2 weeks and then will apply but I am wondering if I should just apply now with a GRE score.

Thanks! 3.05/23. strong essays. solid LORs . great medically related EC's. URM. feel free to message me

Last edited:

Randomly found this while searching for more info about this program...

Hey I will be part of the program this coming fall as well

Reactions: 2 users
Are any of you also considering the Master's in Anatomy program at Case?

I have a 3.6 GPA and 495 MCAT. Once my app was complete and submitted, it took about a week. I haven't heard about the anatomy masters program though.

I just got accepted today! I still haven't decided if I want to go here, since I'm still waiting to hear back from some other schools. I'd love to go here but my biggest concern is tuition being hella expensive

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've also been accepted to Case for this incoming fall semester. It is an expensive program, but the caliber of education I hear is outstanding. Anyone consider the U of Cincinnati's MS in Physiology and where they would go between the two (sorry going a little off topic)?

I've also been accepted to Case for this incoming fall semester. It is an expensive program, but the caliber of education I hear is outstanding. Anyone consider the U of Cincinnati's MS in Physiology and where they would go between the two (sorry going a little off topic)?

congrats. assuming your goal is medical school, which one gives you a better shot? If both are equal, then where would you rather live and be able to afford. Which school provides the most opportunities for learning, research, clinical experience, etc.? Both are great programs.

congrats. assuming your goal is medical school, which one gives you a better shot? If both are equal, then where would you rather live and be able to afford. Which school provides the most opportunities for learning, research, clinical experience, etc.? Both are great programs.
Congrats to you too AH1050. I'll likely decide on staying with Case. The amount of research connections and clinical experience sounds more robust.

Submitted application last week! Haven't been completed though.... did you guys send in screenshots of your MCAT scores like it suggested on the website? I sent mine in last week but haven't heard back thus far...

I think I emailed a pdf copy of my score report to the admin person. It worked out, in the end, so I'm sure your app will too!

Does anyone know the class size for the upcoming year? I can't seem to find it on the website.

Anyone planning on going to the open house?

When is the start date for this program?

Aug 29QUOTE="coda4451, post: 17613505, member: 727928"]When is the start date for this program?[/QUOTE]
Aug

Submitted application last week! Haven't been completed though.... did you guys send in screenshots of your MCAT scores like it suggested on the website? I sent mine in last week but haven't heard back thus far...

Keep checking in with Jean Davis via email- she is very responsive. Not to mention if you call the number on the admissions site, they are very helpful.

Keep checking in with Jean Davis via email- she is very responsive. Not to mention if you call the number on the admissions site, they are very helpful.
I've heard back from them right after I made that post, thank you!

I was accepted by this program but have withdrawn my application to give someone else a spot. Good luck to everyone applying :D

Withdrew my acceptance also. Best of luck to those applying and congrats to those accepted!

Vanillacheesecake, may I ask where you decided to attend instead?

I was accepted by BU and am most likely going there next year (already paid my deposit); I am currently an undergrad at Case and applied because I considered staying in Cleveland for my SO, but respectfully, I believe it's time for me to find a new nest. That, and the fact that the BU program allows for me to take classes alongside medical students, are the reasons I've chosen BU over Case.

Was just accepted! Will be submitting to other schools as well though. Does anyone know when we have to give our decision by?

Was just accepted! Will be submitting to other schools as well though. Does anyone know when we have to give our decision by?
Congrats! Dr. Romani usually emails you personally with the acceptance and gives you the details of acceptance due date, etc. Did you not get an email from him? You'll need to go through the Hobson portal and accept through there. See you in the fall!

Hey guys, just finished my first year, gonna take the NBME exam next week. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey guys, just finished my first year, gonna take the NBME exam next week. Let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck on your exams.
I have few questions for you.

1. How hard is the program? Was it a lot harder than your undergrad?
2. Have you applied to any other programs? If you did, why did you decide this one?
3. Did others in program get accepted to any med school yet?
4. Finally, would you recommend the program to others?

Congrats! Dr. Romani usually emails you personally with the acceptance and gives you the details of acceptance due date, etc. Did you not get an email from him? You'll need to go through the Hobson portal and accept through there. See you in the fall!

they just told me to email them back with my decision by the summer! looks like it's pretty chill

Good luck on your exams.
I have few questions for you.

1. How hard is the program? Was it a lot harder than your undergrad?
2. Have you applied to any other programs? If you did, why did you decide this one?
3. Did others in program get accepted to any med school yet?
4. Finally, would you recommend the program to others?

1. It is difficult. But very doable. It's a ton of detailed information coming at you very quickly, but you get used to it. Your study skills and recall will certainly improve over the semesters. While it was quite challenging, most students tend to do well. The people that did well attended class, so that's important.
Undergrad I feel like was different: None of my classes were this fast-paced and I didn't have as much focus or great study skills, things I greatly improved on here. Physiology is way more clinically interesting.

2. I applied to Toledo's program, but they screwed up with admissions last year and they didn't seem very "on top of it" to me. I liked this program for the depth of understanding, and really, its amazing how much we learned in the past year. If you shadow or do clinical rotations, you'll understand different cases and realize you know the intricacies even some physicians don't remember. In addition, Cleveland has three area hospitals, all fantastic places to volunteer, shadow, and do research. All of which I recommend. It also helps that Case Western is a well-respected school.

3. Many people get accepted, both MD and DO. All our TA's that applied got accepted somewhere. It seems like a successful program. However, if youre thinking this is an easy way to get into Case's med school, think again.

4. Yes, I would definitely recommend it. It's expensive, yes, but its an education. We already are a step ahead of 1st year med students, with a solid basis on cell receptors and the nitty-gritty details of the body. It helps a lot clinically and will make med school (at least the first year) easier to digest. Not to mention the "hidden" curriculum that the faculty emphasizes. There's a lot of great programs out there, and I believe Case is one of them.

1. It is difficult. But very doable. It's a ton of detailed information coming at you very quickly, but you get used to it. Your study skills and recall will certainly improve over the semesters. While it was quite challenging, most students tend to do well. The people that did well attended class, so that's important.
Undergrad I feel like was different: None of my classes were this fast-paced and I didn't have as much focus or great study skills, things I greatly improved on here. Physiology is way more clinically interesting.

2. I applied to Toledo's program, but they screwed up with admissions last year and they didn't seem very "on top of it" to me. I liked this program for the depth of understanding, and really, its amazing how much we learned in the past year. If you shadow or do clinical rotations, you'll understand different cases and realize you know the intricacies even some physicians don't remember. In addition, Cleveland has three area hospitals, all fantastic places to volunteer, shadow, and do research. All of which I recommend. It also helps that Case Western is a well-respected school.

3. Many people get accepted, both MD and DO. All our TA's that applied got accepted somewhere. It seems like a successful program. However, if youre thinking this is an easy way to get into Case's med school, think again.

4. Yes, I would definitely recommend it. It's expensive, yes, but its an education. We already are a step ahead of 1st year med students, with a solid basis on cell receptors and the nitty-gritty details of the body. It helps a lot clinically and will make med school (at least the first year) easier to digest. Not to mention the "hidden" curriculum that the faculty emphasizes. There's a lot of great programs out there, and I believe Case is one of them.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I definitely know that Case has great hospitals around because I am an undergrad at Case right now. The only thing that worries me is that we do not take classes with the med students.

Just got my acceptance to the program. I applied April 27th, and got it May 3rd.

In our e-mail, it asks us to accept as soon as possible, but I was wondering if there was a deadline to when we should accept the offer.

Just got my acceptance to the program. I applied April 27th, and got it May 3rd.

In our e-mail, it asks us to accept as soon as possible, but I was wondering if there was a deadline to when we should accept the offer.

Congrats! That is a massively, crazy quick turn-around. In my experience as an accepted student as well, the program seems very laid-back in a very professional way. They encourage you to accept the offer without a definitive due date. I'd say just be reasonable...as one of the directors or an administrator will contact you personally to see if you'd like to accept eventually.

I was accepted by BU and am most likely going there next year (already paid my deposit); I am currently an undergrad at Case and applied because I considered staying in Cleveland for my SO, but respectfully, I believe it's time for me to find a new nest. That, and the fact that the BU program allows for me to take classes alongside medical students, are the reasons I've chosen BU over Case.

Saw your post in the BU MAMS thread and I found my way to this post of yours... 2nd year MAMS student here. You do not take classes alongside medical students. With some "extra programs" you might (like the counseling concentration or such) but they keep the medical students separate. There is a lot of misinformation that is being advertised about the BU MAMS program, some of it from BU staff/program admins.

Saw your post in the BU MAMS thread and I found my way to this post of yours... 2nd year MAMS student here. You do not take classes alongside medical students. With some "extra programs" you might (like the counseling concentration or such) but they keep the medical students separate. There is a lot of misinformation that is being advertised about the BU MAMS program, some of it from BU staff/program admins.

Although you aren't classmates with actual medical students, you do still take the same curriculum though, don't you? Same classes, just maybe not at the same time. I was just saying how I chose BU over Case because the classes for the Case program are entirely separate from the first year curriculum. Please correct me if I'm wrong, thank you!

How long do most students take to complete the MS? 3 semesters? If so, what sorts of volunteering, research etc. do students do in addition to the academics? Are many students in the program trying to do it in 2 semesters and applying to med school now, then taking another gap year? I was just accepted and am curious as to your experience.

Although you aren't classmates with actual medical students, you do still take the same curriculum though, don't you? Same classes, just maybe not at the same time. I was just saying how I chose BU over Case because the classes for the Case program are entirely separate from the first year curriculum. Please correct me if I'm wrong, thank you!

The curriculum is similar and yes, some classes are the same (but separate). However, some of the "same" courses add in extra material for MAMS, arguably making them harder.

I know this is a Case Western forum, but I was wondering do you guys have any preferences for Tufts MBS program or Case program. Evidences along with your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

How long do most students take to complete the MS? 3 semesters? If so, what sorts of volunteering, research etc. do students do in addition to the academics? Are many students in the program trying to do it in 2 semesters and applying to med school now, then taking another gap year? I was just accepted and am curious as to your experience.

I'm not a current student, just an accepted one like you, but from my visit to the program it seems like volunteering/research/ECs are really up to you as the student to find. From what I was told, there are some students who finish in 2 semesters, but many of those were already coming in with fairly good gpa/MCAT scores. Personally, so I don't kill myself, I'm going to go for 3 semesters and apply to schools next summer, while I'm still in the program.

Hello, good luck to everyone still applying and congrats to all those accepted! I'm a student in the program, and I am enjoying it very much thus far. By the way, I think this might be new, but students get an automatic interview into Case Western Reserve's Medical School if you meet the following criteria (as written to us in an email):

"Have a score on the NBME exam at or above the 50th percentile, have a GPA in our program of at least 3.5, have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.4, have an MCAT score of at least 33/512, and have the recommendation of the MS in Medical Physiology Administration Committee will be granted an automatic interview for the MD program at CWRU."

However, some students who got this automatic interview said that they are a bit more lenient with the undergrad GPA but the rest still stands.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, good luck to everyone still applying and congrats to all those accepted! I'm a student in the program, and I am enjoying it very much thus far. By the way, I think this might be new, but students get an automatic interview into Case Western Reserve's Medical School if you meet the following criteria (as written to us in an email):

"Have a score on the NBME exam at or above the 50th percentile, have a GPA in our program of at least 3.5, have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.4, have an MCAT score of at least 33/512, and have the recommendation of the MS in Medical Physiology Administration Committee will be granted an automatic interview for the MD program at CWRU."

However, some students who got this automatic interview said that they are a bit more lenient with the undergrad GPA but the rest still stands.

That sounds great. I heard that a lot of the students in the Case program already has high GPA. Do you think that is true? Also, what do you think make this program enjoyable/advantageous?

You can complete the program from as little as 2 semesters to 4 semesters. It is HIGHLY advised to take longer than 2 semesters. It is academic suicide to try to complete the program in two semesters. There's just too much studying, information, and stress to complete it in one year. Youll be missing out on all the extra opportunities the program has to offer as well. The people who complete in two semesters already have graduate credits coming in. I initially was going to complete in one year, then saw its nearly impossible. Im taking a summer course, and Ill be done in December. Im also retaking the MCAT and applying this cycle, because the program gives an immense advantage on the bio section, not to mention test-taking skills. Many students do the same.

Like BurntFlower said, you do get an automatic interview at Case. However, I feel mixed about it, and I dont think it should be a factor as to whether you choose this program or not. It should just be a possible added bonus. Why?

1. Its the first year they have the free interview. Of course, Case med is extremely competitive, who knows how many they will take? It might be none. Do not think that there is a linkage. It was also not advertised in the beginning of the year.
2. Ive heard from some students that they won't even look at you unless you have an extremely high MCAT score. Sure, youll interview, but unless you have the MCAT youre not getting in.
3. The biggest flaw is that with those stats, you would be competitive for most medical schools. Which defeats the entire purpose of doing this program. Most students do this program to increase GPA, increase MCAT, and/or get more medical experience. With those stats, you dont need to pay this much money just for a possible interview.

Thats the only qualm I have about the program here at Case. I dont know if its going to be used as marketing, or if they will accept more students, but I really hope people won't be doing this program just for the interview.

That sounds great. I heard that a lot of the students in the Case program already has high GPA. Do you think that is true? Also, what do you think make this program enjoyable/advantageous?

I have found the opposite to be true. Almost everyone that I have talked to had a low (or borderline) undergrad GPAs. However, everyone is different and I don't know every single student's profile.

As to what I think makes the program enjoyable/advantageous, I would say there are many reasons.

1. The number of clinical and research opportunities here is very impressive. You have University Hospitals, Ronald McDonald House, the Cleveland Clinic, the Seidman Cancer Center, the VA Hospital all within very short distance of each other. Basically everyone I have talked to is participating in hospital volunteering, shadowing or research of some kind.

2. The material is very challenging, but extremely interesting. You also get taught by quality professors and doctors who are experts in their field. Also, all the lectures are streamed online and you can replay them as much as you want!

3. Many of the students who enroll in this program get into med/dental school in the U.S. and this is backed up by yearly data. If you have been accepted, you can ask Dr. Romani for the percentages. http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...-ms-in-medical-physiology/msmp-our-successes/ This is an accurate list of schools students have gotten into, except there are two schools that are not mentioned: Central Michigan University Medical School and Duke University Medical School (according to the latest updated list of schools we were sent).

4. You take the NBME in Physiology exam, which is normally taken only by medical students. If you get higher than 40-50th percentile (I forgot which), it will be mentioned in your letter of recommendation and this will be seen as a positive by an admissions' committee.

5. Each student gets an Academic and Career Advisor. The advice I have received has been very beneficial to me. Also, Dr. Nosek - the director of our program - is very helpful and open to students.

6. Areas of Concentration. There are many of them, but there are three concentrations where you will be required to be in an actual rotation with third year medical students and be evaluated alongside them. The attending physician will then contact the director of the concentration and give a thorough report on how you did. If you behaved professionally and were knowledgeable about the material, it will all be mentioned in your letter of recommendation and this is a HUGE boost to your application. These three areas are Pulmonology, Nephrology, and Clinical Neuroscience. There's also another area of concentration called Clinical Investigations, where you can get a certificate out of it. It's very beneficial for anyone interested in research, and will look good on a resume if you're trying to get a research job for your gap year.

7. This isn't really specific about the Medical Physiology program, but there are so many great non-clinical volunteering opportunities at Case Western Reserve. Using a personal example, I have taught English and helped with mock interviews to Somali, Ethiopian and Syrian refugees. I can say without hesitation that it has been one of the most remarkably profound experiences of my life. And there are so many other community service activities, it's astounding.

BONUS: Opportunity to interview at Case Western Reserve Medical School. I agree with bigindian4891 that if you enroll only with the sole purpose of getting an interview here...well, that's foolish. The requirements are not easy to meet. With that being said, I disagree with bigindian4891 downplaying the importance of it. Yes, an interview does not mean an automatic acceptance, but that is the case with ALL interviews in general. As for the stats needed to get an interview, people who got a 3.4 and under in undergrad and met the rest of the conditions received an interview...this is not competitive at all for medical schools in general, much less CWRU. And I say that as someone who got a 3.4. Yes, the requirements are very difficult but some people did manage to interview and get in. So many med school applicants would love to have this chance!

I hope this helped!

Last edited:
I have found the opposite to be true. Almost everyone that I have talked to had a low (or borderline) undergrad GPAs. However, everyone is different and I don't know every single student's profile.

As to what I think makes the program enjoyable/advantageous, I would say there are many reasons.

1. The number of clinical and research opportunities here is very impressive. You have University Hospitals, Ronald McDonald House, the Cleveland Clinic, the Seidman Cancer Center, the VA Hospital all within very short distance of each other. Basically everyone I have talked to is participating in hospital volunteering, shadowing or research of some kind.

2. The material is very challenging, but extremely interesting. You also get taught by quality professors and doctors who are experts in their field. Also, all the lectures are streamed online and you can replay them as much as you want!

3. Many of the students who enroll in this program get into med/dental school in the U.S. and this is backed up by yearly data. If you have been accepted, you can ask Dr. Romani for the percentages. http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...-ms-in-medical-physiology/msmp-our-successes/ This is an accurate list of schools students have gotten into, except there are two schools that are not mentioned: Central Michigan University Medical School and Duke University Medical School (according to the latest updated list of schools we were sent).

4. You take the NBME in Physiology exam, which is normally taken only by medical students. If you get higher than 40-50th percentile (I forgot which), it will be mentioned in your letter of recommendation and this will be seen as a positive by an admissions' committee.

5. Each student gets an Academic and Career Advisor. The advice I have received has been very beneficial to me. Also, Dr. Nosek - the director of our program - is very helpful and open to students.

6. Areas of Concentration. There are many of them, but there are three concentrations where you will be required to be in an actual rotation with third year medical students and be evaluated alongside them. The attending physician will then contact the director of the concentration and give a thorough report on how you did. If you behaved professionally and were knowledgeable about the material, it will all be mentioned in your letter of recommendation and this is a HUGE boost to your application. These three areas are Pulmonology, Nephrology, and Clinical Neuroscience. There's also another area of concentration called Clinical Investigations, where you can get a certificate out of it. It's very beneficial for anyone interested in research, and will look good on a resume if you're trying to get a research job for your gap year.

7. This isn't really specific about the Medical Physiology program, but there are so many great non-clinical volunteering opportunities at Case Western Reserve. Using a personal example, I have taught English and helped with mock interviews to Somali, Ethiopian and Syrian refugees. I can say without hesitation that it has been one of the most remarkably profound experiences of my life. And there are so many other community service activities, it's astounding.

BONUS: Opportunity to interview at Case Western Reserve Medical School. I agree with bigindian4891 that if you enroll only with the sole purpose of getting an interview here...well, that's foolish. The requirements are not easy to meet. With that being said, I disagree with bigindian4891 downplaying the importance of it. Yes, an interview does not mean an automatic acceptance, but that is the case with ALL interviews in general. As for the stats needed to get an interview, people who got a 3.4 and under in undergrad and met the rest of the conditions received an interview...this is not competitive at all for medical schools in general, much less CWRU. And I say that as someone who got a 3.4. Yes, the requirements are very difficult but some people did manage to interview and get in. So many med school applicants would love to have this chance!

I hope this helped!

thanks for your reply!! It is really helpful. I am just trying to decide between program at Tufts, BU, and Case. I am a current case student, so I know a lot about case. I just want to choose the best option, but I guess there is no one correct answer for these programs.