Case Western University- Master's in Medical Physiology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eclecticlife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here if you were accepted and plan on pursuing this program!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got in early last week with 3.0 cGPA 2.74sGPA. GRE: 790Q 540 V 5.0 Writing.

Good luck

Accepted and attending! 3.2 cGPA, 31 MCAT. Anyone familiar w/ the area? Advice on housing would be great!

Got in early last week with 3.0 cGPA 2.74sGPA. GRE: 790Q 540 V 5.0 Writing.

Good luck

Any publications? Reason I'm asking is bc I am really hoping they care about the fact that I have 3 pubs. My stats are 530V 650Q 5.0A

Any publications? Reason I'm asking is bc I am really hoping they care about the fact that I have 3 pubs. My stats are 530V 650Q 5.0A

2 and a presentation from like highschool lol

I was accepted as well and am going!

AdJournE, the best place to get housing within walking distance is Little Italy, right next to the Case campus. Unfortunately a lot of the places in Little Italy don't post their available housing to craigslist, instead they just hang signs outside the houses or buildings with phone numbers to contact. It took me two weekends of flying down to Cleveland to find an apartment there and probably close to eighty phone calls.

Another good area is Cleveland Heights, right above Little Italy. Some of the places will be within walking distance while others might require a car, but you do have to be careful with what area of Cleveland Heights, there are certain places I would avoid due to crime.

If any of you want further information, let me know. I grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland and know the area around Case pretty well. If I can't answer something, I have friends who went to college or med school there so I can find out from them!

i was accepted too :) but havent made a decision as yet..

for those waiting to hear back.. i would go ahead and call Ms. Jean Davis.. she should probably have that information for you! good luck!

Last edited:
tley1115, my app was completed the end of april and heard back two weeks later. How recently did you apply?

I actually just got accepted today after speaking with Dr. Nosek over the phone!! I am SOOOO excited and absolutely cannot wait to attend. Case is like my dream school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually too just got accepted into the program. However, I got into Drexel's IMS program as well a week ago and am having a hard time deciding what to do.

I've heard good and bad things about Drexel (a lot of good things from those who went, bad from second-hand stories, all from this site) and Case Western's program is just plain new.

Anyone have any insight as to what more the Case Western program can give a pre-allopathic student whose main problem is GPA than a traditional SMP such as Georgetown or Drexel's 1-year IMS program?

Thanks!

Since Case is a top ~20 med program, I would take it over Drexel any day. GU has the name and & reputation, however.

I'm sorta in the same boat..i was accepted to a masters program at Mt. Sinai and am definitely having trouble deciding between the two.. any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm supposed to let mt. sinai know in a few days haha.. but have made zero progress in deciding

:confused:

I actually too just got accepted into the program. However, I got into Drexel's IMS program as well a week ago and am having a hard time deciding what to do.

I've heard good and bad things about Drexel (a lot of good things from those who went, bad from second-hand stories, all from this site) and Case Western's program is just plain new.

Anyone have any insight as to what more the Case Western program can give a pre-allopathic student whose main problem is GPA than a traditional SMP such as Georgetown or Drexel's 1-year IMS program?

Thanks!

Yep, its a tough one. I gave this tons of thought and could only come up with one answer: do whats best for your goals. In short, I chose this program over the est. SMPs for two main reasons:

1) It is a true masters program which focuses on physiology from BOTH a scientific and clinical perspective. CWRU has a historical physiology department and has developed a strong culture of collaboration with other disciplines (according to a CWRU MD admissions officer). As such, research and innovation lie at the core of the school's mission and a quality that I find to be essential for a my own goals.

2) Cleveland Clinic: one of the leading medical centers world-wide. As this is uncharted territory for most of us, who knows what opportunities lay ahead for us within the affiliated hospitals? If you plan on doing the 1-year track, you probably won't have the time to volunteer/research at these institutions. However, if you elect the 2-year track, there should be a plethora of opportunities within the surrounding med. community.

So it seems that personal goals and proximity to quality institutions guided my own decisions. Is it as secure as SMP for med school admissions? Some would reasonably argue that it is not. Others can argue that Case pumps out high-quality professionals and this program should be no exception. Personally, I am here to satisfy my own goals of becoming a physician-scientist and feel that Case best fits that goal, while giving me the chance to boost my GPA along the way.

But one thing that I won't deny is the fact that established SMP's already have reputation (hopefully a good one). Med schools like to know what they're getting. The uncertainty of a new program probably will stick with the program until the inaugural class finds their way to top-notch residency spots and leadership roles, which, of course, will happen ;)

Also keep in mind that although the program is new, the physiology department is very established and highly esteemed. Moreover, I would say that because the dept has produced a good number of MD/PhDs, that track-record can only benefit us aspiring premeds/predents, etc. Although I expect the coursework to be very tough, I don't view it as "mini med-school" but as something much more unique and complimentary to the years ahead rather than a repetition of it. And, of course, the students will have to take the Physiology shelf's (prob the toughest of the bunch) which suggests a strong element of med-school prep if aced.

Anyone have other thoughts???

Accepted but deferring a year.

You can defer a year? I got accepted but I would want to do that since I have research projects I need to finish and get some patents out of them and it would take a couple of months.

I'm accepted to this program as well.... my only concern with it is that this is the first year they'll be doing this and we'll essentially be guinea pigs. They may make changes to the program as they see fit which could be a really good or bad thing.

I'm from Ohio and I love the Cleveland area where Case is located. Case is basically my dream school, but it's awfully expensive for something that doesn't assure you that you'll have an interview with their medical school, even if you are stellar academic standing in their program. I'm leaning more towards the programs that will grant interviews if you're doing well in the program.

Also, I want to add that I applied around 11:50 pm before the deadline, without a statement of purpose or resume attached. The next day I received an email asking for my statement of purpose, which I emailed. I was given acceptance a couple days later. Keep in mind my statistics are not stellar.... which may say something about this program. Some of these programs are just ways to make quick money for schools.... they offer no scholarships or aid for this program.

Congrats burnt5ugar!

I was concerned too about the program for awhile and considered going to some of the other places I was accepted. I was concerned that there was no linkage but I talked with Dr. Nosek after I got accepted and he informed me that although there is no guarantee of an interview, 1 of the 6 advisors for the program is on the admissions committee for Case. He said that if you do well in the program, the admissions committee will definitely know. Also, since it is a new program I think they will want to prove that their postbac can succeed among the others, so I have a feeling it will be great to be among the first class to graduate.

As for the money issue, all postbacs are pretty ridiculous in pricing. What's nice about Cleveland is that the living is cheap! Especially when compared to Boston, DC and Chicago.

If you really have doubts, I suggest you set up a time to talk to Dr. Nosek. He answered all of my questions and was extremely helpful.

Good luck with the decision!

I don't see how it being the first year is a bad thing for this program? The physiology department at case is top notch ranking #9 so anything that you get out of the department cannot do anything but help you. I really think that BECAUSE we are the first year class, they will do more to help us get into case's medschool. That's the pretense with which I am going in. I think as long as you have pubs, and do great in this program (and an above 30 mcat of course), they will try to push your file with the admissions committee. When I got accepted, I had no second thoughts about attending. In fact, I would go to case's program above Georgetown's because of the fact that they don't have a ridiculously large class and will be more willing to work one on one with you.

Only thing I am curious about is how do we decide what classes to take? Are we taking an classes with the medical students?

Well 18 of the 30 credits that are required are already figured out for us because they are the core classes. That would be Medical Physiology I & II and Translational Physiology I & II and the journal club. Other than those classes, I believe we are at freedom to decide which electives we want to take, as long as the electives are graduate courses. Of course you are supposed to work with your advisor to figure out what are the best courses for your ultimate goal in the program.

As for whether we take them with medical students, the core classes are just for us I believe. But they will be taught in blocks similar to how medical students are taught and with faculty members who are experts in the field being taught. The elective graduate courses may have medical students or PhD students or other Master students taking them depending on what electives you choose.

Well 18 of the 30 credits that are required are already figured out for us because they are the core classes. That would be Medical Physiology I & II and Translational Physiology I & II and the journal club. Other than those classes, I believe we are at freedom to decide which electives we want to take, as long as the electives are graduate courses. Of course you are supposed to work with your advisor to figure out what are the best courses for your ultimate goal in the program.

As for whether we take them with medical students, the core classes are just for us I believe. But they will be taught in blocks similar to how medical students are taught and with faculty members who are experts in the field being taught. The elective graduate courses may have medical students or PhD students or other Master students taking them depending on what electives you choose.

yea thats what I figured as well. Thanks for the clarification though. There were some classes which seemed extremely interesting and relevant to a pre-allopathic student. I wonder when we will be meeting with advisors and selecting the best-suited curriculum for our needs. I have a really low undergrad gpa but a very high post bacc gpa (main reason I was accepted into the program) and I just hope that they can tell me what classes I need to offset poor performance in my initial undergrad years.

Awful cGPA: 3.1, good sGPA, 30<My MCAT<35.

Grew up in Cleveland. Already back in Cleveland and happy as a clam.

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Are you guys currently applying to dental/medical school for the 2011/2012 cycle? Or are you waiting until after you have completed this MS program to apply?

For those of you who are planning to attend the program this year, is anyone going to the departmental picnic in July? I am moving to Ohio that week so I am up in the air about whether or not to attend the picnic since a lot of people might not be around yet and I will have a lot of unpacking to do...

For those of you who are planning to attend the program this year, is anyone going to the departmental picnic in July? I am moving to Ohio that week so I am up in the air about whether or not to attend the picnic since a lot of people might not be around yet and I will have a lot of unpacking to do...

wait how did you find out about the picnic? Did they send us an email?

I heard about the picnic when I received the email about advisors. It was awhile ago I think, sometime in June when Dr. Nosek sent the email, but it was not a group email since he was informing me of my individual advisor. If you don't have an advisor yet, that might be why you haven't heard about the picnic. Also, I think you need to formally accept the program so if you have yet to do so, that could be another reason.

Hi All,

I was accepted to this program a couple months ago and I'm strongly considering it.

Like many of the others on this thread, I'm a little hesitant about attending Case because this is a new program but I've recently weighed out the pro's and con's and decided there's definitely more pro's. A new program means they will be working very hard to establish themselves. They also have a lot of one-on-one with faculty whereas a lot of the SMPs don't. And even though we'd be "guinea pigs" this would work to our benefit because they'll be more flexible and accommodate our needs more. Plus Case has an excellent reputation.

For those of you who are considering going or are going to Case for this program, what are your plans for housing? I'm coming from Seattle and since this program starts so soon, I don't think I'll be able to make it to Cleveland to check things out before I settle in.

If there's anyone looking for a roommate, let me know! I'm a girl and I have a cat, who I will be taking to Cleveland with me. So if there's any other girls in this program out there who doesn't mind pets and is looking for a roommate, feel free to contact me!

Hello everyone! I was considering this program a few years ago, before it was officially labeled a post bacc. Given my weak gpa, test scores, and mediocre performance in MS. pharmaceutical sciences, I would have pursued this program if I still wanted to do medicine. I think the curriculum is solid and, even without the direct linkage, people come to Case Western for the name recognition. I have high hopes for the incoming class and personally feel that you will not be guinea pigs at all. The school is well-established and the department attracts many big names in the research field. I think that the chance to meet and work with these people is once-in-a-lifetime and an excellent stepping stone to reaching your goals.

I would like some opinions about the program and how it would fit for someone like me. My undergraduate grades are below 3.0, but I recently finished the BU MAMS program with a 3.65 and have a 32R on the MCAT. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hi Everyone!

I am the TA for the MS in Medical Physiology Program at Case Western. I was a student in the first year of the program and I have spent my second year (this year) TAing the three required courses - Medical Physiology, Translational Physiology, and Seminar.

I would like to be available to anyone who has questions about the program, whether they concern credentials, confusing aspects of the program, how the program might increase your own chances of getting into medical school, how to take full advantage of the program if you have already been accepted, or even if you just have a question about living in Cleveland.

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks!

anyone else considering this program?

Neuroglia,
I am. I just got accepted recently. My only concern is this is out of state for me and is very expensive. I am waiting to hear back from Wayne State University and then will decide from there.

Neuroglia,
I am. I just got accepted recently. My only concern is this is out of state for me and is very expensive. I am waiting to hear back from Wayne State University and then will decide from there.

Got accepted today as well..

Waiting to hear back from an in state program. But, I love the program as a whole.

I'm waiting on UToledo, still have VCU and Tulane as options on the table. Only thing I want to see is statistics from their 2011 class as far as MD admissions goes, since students in the first class would have finished by June...will play an important role on deciding where to go.

Not a lot of active students in the program on SDN though.

I'm surprised more of CWRU's students aren't on SDN as well.

Guess they're too busy to post on a pre-med phone.

Update from the website:

"The schools to which our students have been accepted are:

Case Western Reserve University (Medicine)
Case Western Reserve University (Dentistry)
American University of Beirut, Lebanon (Medicine)
American University of the Carribean (Medicine)
California School of Podiatric Medicine
Eastern Michigan University (Speech Pathology)
Florida International University (Medicine)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Medicine)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Dentistry)
Medical College of Georgia
Northeast Ohio College of Medicine
Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
SUNY, Syracuse (Medicine)
University of Central Florida (Medicine)
University of Maryland, School of Dentistry
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (Medicine)
University of Miami
University of Missouri, Kansas City (Medicine)
University of Pikeville, College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Washington, Seattle (Medicine)"

I'm guessing this is the class of 2011, which means 20/43 got accepted to grad school if each time a school is listed represents one student. And only 10 accepted to a US MD school, not very impressive. Though to be fair this was the first class, so the students may not be "as strong". I really hope more than one person got into case, though no linkage is posted, it would be poor form to have such a low matriculation rate into the home school. I'd definitely love a student perspective to comment on this, since success of getting into medical school is important to prospective students.

Sent a few emails with the dude who posted his email the other month, here's an excerpt from it:

"3) I can tell you that our inaugural class has been extremely successful - everyone that I know of has gotten interviews and there have been a lot of acceptances. I personally know people who have gotten into Case Med, University of Washington, SUNY, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Uniformed Services (me), etc... I don't have an exact percent but feel free to e-mail Dr. Nosek (the program director - my boss) and I'm sure he will tell you. His e-mail is xxxxxx.

Case does have a few advantages over other post bacc programs you might be deciding between. The biggest one is that there are more research opportunities here because of the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals than at any other school where you can do a post bacc. This is an advantage because while you are studying here you can work in a lab and strengthen your med school app even more, and let me tell you that the Cleveland Clinic is huge so there are endless clinical research opportunities. With your background you could probably get a paid position. There is also the fact that Case has a top ranked medical school and it is that faculty which teaches in all of our courses. Our only real disadvantage is that we are a new program.

Looking at your personal information this is what I would recommend doing: enroll in a post-bacc like ours and make sure you take some courses that are in the actual Case med school so you can claim that on your application. If you do that you will have an excellent shot at getting in. Like I said, I know people who have even worse credentials who have already been accepted. Hope this helps!"

^^^ He found my LinkedIn and all my personal info, ha.

Sent a few emails with the dude who posted his email the other month, here's an excerpt from it:

"3) I can tell you that our inaugural class has been extremely successful - everyone that I know of has gotten interviews and there have been a lot of acceptances. I personally know people who have gotten into Case Med, University of Washington, SUNY, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Uniformed Services (me), etc... I don't have an exact percent but feel free to e-mail Dr. Nosek (the program director - my boss) and I'm sure he will tell you. His e-mail is xxxxxx.

Case does have a few advantages over other post bacc programs you might be deciding between. The biggest one is that there are more research opportunities here because of the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals than at any other school where you can do a post bacc. This is an advantage because while you are studying here you can work in a lab and strengthen your med school app even more, and let me tell you that the Cleveland Clinic is huge so there are endless clinical research opportunities. With your background you could probably get a paid position. There is also the fact that Case has a top ranked medical school and it is that faculty which teaches in all of our courses. Our only real disadvantage is that we are a new program.

Looking at your personal information this is what I would recommend doing: enroll in a post-bacc like ours and make sure you take some courses that are in the actual Case med school so you can claim that on your application. If you do that you will have an excellent shot at getting in. Like I said, I know people who have even worse credentials who have already been accepted. Hope this helps!"

^^^ He found my LinkedIn and all my personal info, ha.

thanks for the info! You planning on going to open house in June?

I'm going to try and go the open house in June! It's a three and a half hour drive for me but I really want to hear what they have to say, see the campus, and talk to some of the advisors, especially since I have yet to hear back from other MS programs I have applied too.

Is any one else from out of state and nervous about the cost? My parents keep telling me I'm about to be in a lot of debt before even starting med school...

I'm going to try and go the open house in June! It's a three and a half hour drive for me but I really want to hear what they have to say, see the campus, and talk to some of the advisors, especially since I have yet to hear back from other MS programs I have applied too.

Is any one else from out of state and nervous about the cost? My parents keep telling me I'm about to be in a lot of debt before even starting med school...

My dad has a office hub up there, so I think we're combining his trip to come up next week. The cost is an issue and it really sucks, but I guess I'll have to deal with it somehow.

This will be the first loans I take out, so cost isn't the be-all/end-all.

Might make it up for the Open House if I can get a ticket.

And at least it ain't a 19 hour drive for y'all! :laugh:

Just received my acceptance today already after submitting May 26 and complete on the 29th.

I have this and a Tulane Pharmacology acceptance in my pocket while waiting for 8 other schools.

Despite Case's high ranking med school, it's hard for me to rank Case's program above Tulane at the moment. Case being up to 2 years and discouraging med school applying while in the program are turn offs for me unless someone can persuade me otherwise.