CASPER test question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeruvianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I just found out 3 of the med schools I'm applying to ask for this test. But one of them only "encourages" applicants to take it, should I send that school my results too? I don't know how they will evaluate people who didn't take it compared to those who did. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely. It's only 10 extra dollars to send it to an additional school and if they encourage it there would be no reason not to

Just take it and send it to all of them. It's super easy. If you aren't a sociopath, it may even help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is CASPER part of secondary applications? I'm confused on the timeline of completing the test in regards with the application process.

Is CASPER part of secondary applications? I'm confused on the timeline of completing the test in regards with the application process.
Yes. And just so you are aware, it can take up to four weeks for them to score an exam and send it to your indicated medical schools. This could delay your completion date, depending on the school.

Yes. And just so you are aware, it can take up to four weeks for them to score an exam and send it to your indicated medical schools. This could delay your completion date, depending on the school.

So that would mean it's best to complete the test as soon as possible. Once completed, do you then choose which programs you want the scores to be sent to?

If I had known about this CASPER I would've taken the june 16 test -_- hopefully this doesn't delay my application.

Hi, so I just found out 3 of the med schools I'm applying to ask for this test. But one of them only "encourages" applicants to take it, should I send that school my results too? I don't know how they will evaluate people who didn't take it compared to those who did. Thanks

Which one of the schools only "encourages" it? All the schools I know of that require CASPer want you to do it and it's required at NYMC.

Just take it and send it to all of them. It's super easy. If you aren't a sociopath, it may even help you.

How do you know that it's super easy considering you never get your score? Personally, I think it's a hard test and a big pain in the butt that schools are wanting you to take this test now.

Does anyone know which schools require or recommend CASPER? I can't seem to find if a school requires it, via MSAR.

Which one of the schools only "encourages" it? All the schools I know of that require CASPer want you to do it and it's required at NYMC.

Here, for tulane: All applicants that are applying to the M.D. program at Tulane University School of Medicine are encouraged to complete an online 90 minute computer based test (CASPer ™), to assist with our selection process.

Right now you can only send scores to NYMC, Tulane, Rutgers, central Michigan and east Tennessee if I'm correct.

Right now you can only send scores to NYMC, Tulane, Rutgers, central Michigan and east Tennessee if I'm correct.

According to MSAR, Central Michigan does not require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to MSAR, Central Michigan does not require it.

This from Central Michigan: While not required, we strongly recommend that all applicants who complete a secondary application take the CASPer situational judgment test and have their scores reported to us. This information will allow us to evaluate your application in the most thorough way possible.

This from Central Michigan: While not required, we strongly recommend that all applicants who complete a secondary application take the CASPer situational judgment test and have their scores reported to us. This information will allow us to evaluate your application in the most thorough way possible.

Interesting. Many of my friends who are there now never took it.

How do you know that it's super easy considering you never get your score? Personally, I think it's a hard test and a big pain in the butt that schools are wanting you to take this test now.

You can take a practice exam. Because I didn't know what this exam entailed, I bit the bullet and bought one. Shouldn't have. It wasn't needed. My actual exam was on par with the practice exam (which I scored very well on).

So that would mean it's best to complete the test as soon as possible. Once completed, do you then choose which programs you want the scores to be sent to?
That would be most beneficial. But they only have select dates which is obnoxious considering it's an online exam. It seems like you should be able to take it anytime, but no.

You can take a practice exam. Because I didn't know what this exam entailed, I bit the bullet and bought one. Shouldn't have. It wasn't needed. My actual exam was on par with the practice exam (which I scored very well on).

how were you able to find out how you scored on their practice exam? besides it only has 3 stations compared to the 12 on the actual test.

by practice exam, I mean the one provided by Altus Assessments, the ppl that administer CASPer.

how were you able to find out how you scored on their practice exam? besides it only has 3 stations compared to the 12 on the actual test.

http://astroffconsultants.com/services/casper-preparation/

They give you a full length practice exam and discuss your score with you. I only used this service since I had a Canadian friend who had done it previously. But I'm telling you, it's not needed. It was a waste of $150 for me. CASper is just evaluating your moral compass. Honestly, the hardest part is writing three responses in 5 minutes.

http://astroffconsultants.com/services/casper-preparation/

They give you a full length practice exam and discuss your score with you. I only used this service since I had a Canadian friend who had done it previously. But I'm telling you, it's not needed. It was a waste of $150 for me. CASper is just evaluating your moral compass. Honestly, the hardest part is writing three responses in 5 minutes.

Astroff told me that they do not have any video based scenarios, which is unfortunate as 8 of the 12 are video based. Several of my friends in the US who did CASPer last year for NYMC used the APE CASPer tests https://www.apetest.org/us/casper-sim/ and they said the testing experience was identical so that's what I've been doing to prepare for the test. I also bought a copy of the CASPer SIM for the Mind book.

I'm glad a lot of people in the US are not preparing for this CASPer test because that will hopefully give people like me who are taking it seriously and prepping for it an advantage!!! If only people did the same for the MCAT and just went into the test relying on their knowledge from their prereq courses, getting into medical school would be a heck of a lot easier for many of us!

Wow... I was hoping CASPer would go away. hahaha who's writing the test tomorrow? I found some sample questions and sample videos for CASPer online if anyone wants to practice: http://caspertestprep.com/