cat allergies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerwind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently working in a small animal vet practice but recently I've had some really bad allergic reactions to certain cats. I've had cats my whole life and I've never had a problem. I've been working at this practice for a year and a half and I'm fine with about 90% of the cats but recently I had such a bad reaction to one that my boss wound up driving me home. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm still fine with my cats and most of the cats that come in, its just a few of them that really make my eyes swell up to the point where I almost can't see.

Members don't see this ad.

Not me personally, but my little sister's face swelled up from my cousin's cats. I got a cat in May and she has had absolutely no problems. Is it typically longhair cats that cause problems? Perhaps is actually a topical product some of the owners might be using?

Hi! I'm currently working in a small animal vet practice but recently I've had some really bad allergic reactions to certain cats. I've had cats my whole life and I've never had a problem. I've been working at this practice for a year and a half and I'm fine with about 90% of the cats but recently I had such a bad reaction to one that my boss wound up driving me home. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm still fine with my cats and most of the cats that come in, its just a few of them that really make my eyes swell up to the point where I almost can't see.
I would talk to a doctor about it, if it's that bad. One of my relatives, who owned a feline only practice with his father, became really allergic to cats (although this was after vet school), and wound up doing pharm stuff instead. I'm not sure what vet school would be like, but here's my n=1 story of how a severe allergy won't necessarily mean it'll be impossible to do vet work.
There's a tech at my work who is somewhat allergic to cats, but talked to her doctor and was able to do something about it (I forget what though) that makes her able to function normally with cats, as long as she's not rubbing them all over her face (haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you take any sort of antihistamine? I have friends in vet school who are allergic and they just take Benadryl or something. I think I'm a tiny bit allergic because if certain cats touch my face it gets itchy. Not sure if antihistamines would help for you or not.

I also have other classmates who allergic to hay or horses and they're actually doing allergy shots.

I worked with a tech who was allergic to cats - her eyes would get all red and watery, she'd start sneezing, etc - and she just started loading up on antihistamines before coming to work. I would definitely talk to a doctor and see what your options are.

I second the antihistamines. A few of the techs I work with now are allergic to rabbits and the exotic hoofstock we work with. Nothing major like the swelling you experience, but allergic enough to sneeze and have watery eyes for the next several hours. They usually wear gloves and coveralls while in contact with the animal. That way, they can just remove the 'contaminated' layers. It seems to help, especially the glove part. You can wash your hands (and you should), but you could still pay for itching your eye a while later.

My dad had severe cat allergies but then started giving himself monthly injections (not sure what the medication was). After a few years now he's fine around cats. Giving yourself injections obviously isn't ideal, but there are medications out there that work. Good luck!

I second the advice to ask a doctor. I know several people in the vet field who are allergic to various animals, so it's possible to have animal allergies and still become a vet. Some of them use over-the-counter antihistamines, others have more severe allergies and have to see a doctor and get shots or eye drops or stuff. It's no fun dealing with untreated allergies though.

Gloves are a great idea.

Good suggestions already but out of curiosity, is it breed-related? I knew a tech once who was severely allergic to Oriental breeds (e.g. Korats, Siamese, Burmese, mixes of such, etc) but nothing else.

It sounds like OTC antihistamines in this case might not be powerful enough for the OP. Something prescription might be in order.

I'm slightly allergic to all cats and really allergic to long-haired breeds. When I worked as a tech, I just viewed the appointments every morning and if it was a cat-heavy day, I'd either ask to be the exotics tech for the day or take an allergy pill. It's not something that will affect you as a vet.

Do you take any sort of antihistamine? I have friends in vet school who are allergic and they just take Benadryl or something. I think I'm a tiny bit allergic because if certain cats touch my face it gets itchy. Not sure if antihistamines would help for you or not.

I also have other classmates who allergic to hay or horses and they're actually doing allergy shots.

For serious allergies the shots really are the way to go. I used to be slightly allergic to dogs and cats, but have always had very bad pollen and dust allergies (like, I'd have to miss school in the spring because my eyes were swollen shut and I had bags under my eyes that made me look stoned 24/7 365 days a year bad) and they made a world of difference. They're not for everyone, but it's worth seeing an allergist and getting tested. Don't discount the immunotherapy shots if you're a good fit for it. One of my classmates is pretty allergic to cats and is going through that treatment currently.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I don't think its breed related since its been domestic short hairs (although I guess you can't really tell if its a mix of something). I have 2 domestic short hairs and a domestic long hair that can literally sleep on my head and I'm fine with it. I can handle almost all the cats in the practice and 90% of them are domestic short hairs so it really seems like its just very specific cats. Benedryl isn't really powerful enough once the reaction starts. It'll stop the itching but the swelling sticks around no matter what do. I was thinking maybe since they're indoor cats it might be an air freshener or incense that the owners might have but this owner had brought in a different cat that same day and I was 100% fine, not even hives or watery eyes or anything. The only thing the cats I reacted to had in common is they were black, older, and seemed to shed more than normal. I guess a doctor seems like my best bet but I'm not even sure what to tell them since its just been 3 or 4 specific cats over the course of a year and a half that I was bad with. They were also all over the age of 12 but my own cats are all about 12 too. I'm just kind of stumped. :/ Thanks again for all the replies!

maybe start taking a daily product like zyrtec or claritin. but i'd still contact a dr first if you are having that kind of reaction. an epi pen might be in order if its facial swelling/anaphylactic at all

maybe start taking a daily product like zyrtec or claritin. but i'd still contact a dr first if you are having that kind of reaction. an epi pen might be in order if its facial swelling/anaphylactic at all

My eyes swell pretty bad but I never have any respiratory issues or trouble breathing. But I'm probably going to make an appointment with my doctor soon and wear gloves at work just to be safe. Thanks for the reply!

Hey! This actually happened to me a few weeks ago.... I live with cats, and my cat sleeps with me, so Im not sure why the particular cat I encountered set off such a bad reaction... especially after years of working in clinics, cat-sitting, etc. Someone drove me home too because my face started to swell :(

This cat had longer hair, and the cats I've all lived with were short hair. But what boggles me is wouldnt I have noticed this sooner after all the long-haired cats coming into our clinic?