cat fight wounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on different things about veterinary medicine when I happened upon a website where they were giving advice on how to treat cat fight wounds that have pus drainage. One person who is an RN said to take an oral syringe and fill it up with hydrogen peroxide, put the tip of the [sterile] syringe into the wound, and inject the hydrogen peroxide into the would directly and let the infection just bubble out, all the while cleaning it as necessary.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether or not this is true?????

Members don't see this ad.

SMW83 said:
I was reading up on different things about veterinary medicine when I happened upon a website where they were giving advice on how to treat cat fight wounds that have pus drainage. One person who is an RN said to take an oral syringe and fill it up with hydrogen peroxide, put the tip of the [sterile] syringe into the wound, and inject the hydrogen peroxide into the would directly and let the infection just bubble out, all the while cleaning it as necessary.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether or not this is true?????
That is a seriously loaded question believe it or not. Ask one veterinarian, they will have their treatment plan, ask another theirs will be different. One thing is fact though...ask a veterinarian about following an RN's advice for veterinary treatment and they will not be too happy with you....
As I do not have my DVM yet (ask me next year) I cannot legally give medical advice so I will say ask your vet. But I will say that peroxide destroys healthy tissue and think about how it would feel to lavage hydrogen peroxide into a deep wound on yourself, then apply that to kitty................ ;) unless you are referring to a human with a cat bite then I would say get the BEEP to the hospital because cat bites are very serious and you need treatments. :eek:

Hydrogen peroxide can be very damaging to tissues and I would strongly recommend against it.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you sure youre not mistaking hydrogen peroxide for the more abrasive rubbing alcohol???

Here's a scientific study on hydrogen peroxide and how it acts in wounds.

-----

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State University medical researchers have demonstrated that reactive oxygen species at appropriate levels can support the healing of wounds, and specifically that wounds can generate their own low concentration of hydrogen peroxide, which has a role in healing.
A recent Ohio State study showed that at the site of injury, cells of wound tissue convert oxygen to reactive oxygen species, triggering oxidation-reduction, or redox driven mechanisms. Excess levels of reactive oxygen species, such as during chronic inflammation, may impair healing, but low levels offer healing benefits.

The observation that the redox state of the wound tissue may influence healing outcomes could lead to consideration of a novel redox-based principle for wound therapy, said Chandan Sen, lead author of a paper detailing the findings and professor and vice chair of the department of surgery at Ohio State.

The research paper is available in the online version of Molecular Therapy, the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy.

A key characteristic of problem wounds is that they are hypoxic, or suffer from poor oxygenation, meaning too little oxygen is available to initiate the reactive oxygen-dependent healing processes.

“Proper oxygenation of a wound is a fundamental pre-requisite,” said Sen, also deputy director of the Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute at Ohio State and chief editor of the international journal Antioxidants and Redox Signaling.

Under conditions of sufficient oxygenation, wound-related cells generate small amounts of reactive oxygen products, including hydrogen peroxide, which, at correct levels, acts as a chemical messenger to support healing. The hydrogen peroxide in question is not the typical household strength 3 percent solution, but a lower concentration of the compound that at a molecular level sends a message needed to trigger angiogenesis, or the formation of new blood vessels, the scientists found.

Their study provides the first direct evidence that low levels of hydrogen peroxide are enzymatically generated by the body as a wound heals in healthy tissue.

Problem wounds, however, may suffer from conditions that limit hydrogen peroxide production at the wound site. These conditions cause improper oxygenation and compromised immune function, or stem from genetic defects or chronic conditions such as diabetes that compromise the enzyme NADPH oxidase, a cellular mechanism behind the ability to kill bacteria. In these and similar cases in which the body can’t be counted on to heal itself, appropriate delivery of reactive oxygen species could provide a new basis for therapeutic exploration, the scientists said.

“We’re saying that the body makes hydrogen peroxide at very minute dosages that act as a signal for repair,” Sen said. “An excess of hydrogen peroxide can be damaging, but if we can find an innovative approach to deliver low levels of hydrogen peroxide into wounds that are difficult to heal, that could be helpful.

“Basic science studies have identified hydrogen peroxide as a trigger that drives redox signaling. Redox-based strategies to heal problem wounds may be applicable to a large number of people suffering from chronic wounds, such as diabetics, the immune-challenged and those suffering from chronic granulomatous disease,” he added.

To mirror those conditions, Sen and colleagues designed a study to compare wounds in mice with compromised health – specifically, mice deficient in MCP-1, a protein known for its involvement in recruitment of immune cells to wounds and in the formation of blood vessels, and others deficient in p47phox, a member of NADPH oxidase family – to wounds in mice with normal health to monitor molecular activity under varying conditions. In mice with built-in deficiencies whose wounds were not healing, the topical application of low-dose hydrogen peroxide identical to the concentration that occurred naturally in healthy mice corrected abnormal wound closures, the study reports.

Scientists determined that one key role of hydrogen peroxide in wound healing is to induce vascular endothelial growth factor in wound-related cells, a gene believed to be the most efficient signal to stimulate blood vessel formation in wounds.

Using a viral gene delivery approach involving catalase, an enzyme that rapidly decomposes hydrogen peroxide, scientists also showed that forced decomposition of hydrogen peroxide generated by the wound tissue results in impaired healing. Sen said these observations underscore the significance of hydrogen peroxide, generated by wound cells, in deciding healing outcomes.

Sen said the study sets a new paradigm supporting the role of reactive oxygen species – generated from oxygen – as a signal for repair in the healing process. He added that these new findings also underscore the critical need to ensure that wounds are appropriately oxygenated.

A strong solution of hydrogen peroxide has been historically used clinically to disinfect wounds. While such an approach may be effective in disinfecting, hydrogen peroxide at that strength may hurt newborn regenerating tissue. The study showed that too much hydrogen peroxide can be damaging to a wound.

“Our observation that dermal wound healing is subject to redox control represents an important step toward redox-based therapies in the clinic,” Sen said. “The solution to problem wounds lies in an interdisciplinary multifactorial approach. To enable that solution, all facets of a problem wound need to be mechanistically understood. The redox control aspect represents a new facet.”

A grant from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health supported this work.

Sen co-authored the study with Sashwati Roy, Savita Khanna and Koshore Nallu, all with the OSU Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, and Thomas K. Hunt of the University of California at San Francisco Department of Surgery.

# # #

DOROTHY M. DAVIS
HEART AND LUNG
RESEARCH INSTITUTE
473 West 12th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210
p: 614.247.7766
f: 614.247.7799
e: [email protected]

--------

with this new information, would the hydrogen peroxide treatment be acceptable?

SMW83 said:
We’re saying that the body makes hydrogen peroxide at very minute dosages that act as a signal for repair,” Sen said. “An excess of hydrogen peroxide can be damaging, but if we can find an innovative approach to deliver low levels of hydrogen peroxide into wounds that are difficult to heal, that could be helpful

with this new information, would the hydrogen peroxide treatment be acceptable?

"low levels"... i dont think H2O2 lavage of a wound qualifies as low levels....

rdc said:
"low levels"... i dont think H2O2 lavage of a wound qualifies as low levels....
:thumbup:

I would have to agree that free radicals such as hydrogen peroxide cause destruction to cell membranes and hence damage to underlying tissue.

If you look closely at the paper you sent you will notice that it is stated that low levels of hydrogen peroxide produced BY the body help provide oxidation to an hypoxic environment. If you add an exogenous source of hydrogn
peroxide would that not be a higher level than what is being produced by the body? (I think so). It also states that high levels of hydrogen peroxide are damaging to tissues as are all free oxygen radicals, which is what will happen by using hydrogen peroxide via a syringe.

Also, dont believe everything you read at first, I never saw anywhere in the paper how many subjects were used, how the research was conducted, etc, etc.

On a last note I have never seen an RN wash a cat out with hydrogen peroxide (or many vets for that matter), if it burns on people how to you think a cat is going to react? Ask that RN to do it and I bet he/she will be sitting in the ER watching their hand swell from the cat bite. ;)

Hydrogen peroxide is cytotoxic to cells and inhibits wound healing at concentrations used for flushing wounds. There is also a risk of air embolism when using forceful irrigation of deep wounds.

The only place for H2O2 in wound care is to remove blood stains from clothes or intact skin -- it works great for that.