Categorizing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so the only reason I'm asking is because it will be one of my biggest experiences as far as quantity of hours on my application. I have over 300 now and by the end of the school year close to 700. I currently work at a state diagnostic lab in histology. I do a lot of lab duties, but I also observe pathologists and residents trim tissue and do necropsies. I'm learning about the different types of tissues, about cancer and tumors in tissue, IHC, antibodies and stains with diseases... so I'm learning a lot. Other than observing I do embed tissue and coverslip, I hope to start trimming the biopsies that come in soon as well. I'm leaning towards counting this as vet experience because the section head of the lab is a pathologist and I technically work for them. After a year of working there I hope to ask for a LOR from my section head. I'm learning more about their profession through this too. Am I right in categorizing this? I've just been told by different people to count it as animal, research, or vet? Since I'll have several hours, I'd like to get this sorted out. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In the end, it won't matter, because if a school disagrees with your assessment they'll just re categorize it. It's clearly open to different interpretations so they won't hold it against you if they disagree. I would categorize it as vet or research personally, and not animal, and I'd probably go with veterinary.

If you're concerned, call the school(s) to which you are applying and ask what they think!

Thank you! That's definitely good advice. I'm assuming I can just contact admissions and ask.