CBSE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handinhand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got the scores back on my CBSE that my school required us to take. I know that the CBSE is supposed to be pretty close to Step 1, but I just wanted to figure out how accurate it is? Also, I read that these questions are years old, so I'm wondering if the material emphasis is the same? I can't think of a single biochem question we had on the CBSE but thought that biochem is a fairly well tested subject now on boards -- is this true?

I got an 80 raw score which they correlate to around a 220 Step 1 score. I know it's not a fantastic score, but I'm still two months out (June 7th exam day), so I'm hoping I can bring my score up to the 240 range.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're starting at 220 it's pretty likely you'll get at least a 240+ in 8wk if you grind out a basic study plan (uworld, pathoma, FA). Take an NBME a couple weeks to check your progress.

Just from the pharmacology perspective, there are a few answers that aren't quite right nowadays but I know better than to pick the most up to date. Haha.

e.g direct thrombin inhibitors (dabigatran), oral factor xa inhibitors (rivaroxaban), ... etc.

What do you mean by that? They were previously correct and now aren't? Is this because they are essentially irreversible in a case of trauma, and that they're so good way to measure their therapeutic effect? I ask because I've certainly learned about dabigitran more than once throughout medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember the exact question but it asked about the MOA for treatment of a thromboembolism in a patient with DVT/PE. Among the answer choices were the MOA for all the newer agents and warfarin. Obviously, you would select warfarin given that the boards are always a few years behind although depending on the patient one of the newer agents could possibly be used.

*I'm not advocating the use of newer agents btw but they can be used in select cases.

I see.

How about TIA's and prevention? I had a UWorld question about a women who had a TIA and wanted to know treatment to prevent future episodes. I picked Aspirin, but they wanted Warfarin. Warfarin certainly isn't wrong, but I would think subjecting someone to Warfarin and the blood monitoring that goes with is would be a little much to start with -- but I am not a pharmacist nor physician so I don't know which is preferred clinically.

I got an 80 raw score which they correlate to around a 220 Step 1 score. I know it's not a fantastic score, but I'm still two months out (June 7th exam day), so I'm hoping I can bring my score up to the 240 range.

My school showed a plot of the CBSE and USMLE results. By eyeballing the comparison, people generally improved about 20 points. 220 --> 240 was definitely seen.

About your warfarin Q, you sure there wasn't anything else that hinted towards warfarin? I would have put ASA too with just the info you provided. But maybe she had a-fib, or a previous MI, or something?

I'm sorry, I misspoke about the pathology. It was a PE, not a TIA. I must have been tired when I was reviewing, because it makes perfect sense now why you would use Warfarin instead of Aspirin in a patient with a hx of venous thrombo-embolism.