About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

CBT 11 Passage 5

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by sudo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. sudo

sudo Señor Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm a little confused about the wording of this question:
    [​IMG]

Here's the diagram:
    [​IMG]

I used the formula: V=IR to solve the problem, but since the question stated to "assume that the resistance in the circuit is negligible compared to that of the lightbulb," I just did V=I, leading to me to answer choice C.

What are they trying say by "assume that the resistance in the circuit is negligible compared to that of the lightbulb?" :mad:
  2. sudo

sudo Señor Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Bump.... did everyone else really understand the implied meaning of negligible'?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
  3. sudo

sudo Señor Member

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I forgot that the circuit, itself, can have some resistance (though it's negligible), so the question was reiterating that the resistance in the circuit, compared to that of the light bulb, is negligible...which should be assumed from usual, practical application.:idea:
  4. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    They're saying to assume that the only resistance in the circuit is due to the lightbulb; that all other sources of resistance (the wire) are negligible. This is the basic assumption with all circuit questions unless stated otherwise.