Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

CBT 11 Passage 5

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by sudo, 04.28.12.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sudo

sudo Señor Member 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a little confused about the wording of this question:
    [​IMG]

Here's the diagram:
    [​IMG]

I used the formula: V=IR to solve the problem, but since the question stated to "assume that the resistance in the circuit is negligible compared to that of the lightbulb," I just did V=I, leading to me to answer choice C.

What are they trying say by "assume that the resistance in the circuit is negligible compared to that of the lightbulb?" :mad:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sudo

Medical Student
    Bump.... did everyone else really understand the implied meaning of negligible'?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

4. sudo

Medical Student
    I forgot that the circuit, itself, can have some resistance (though it's negligible), so the question was reiterating that the resistance in the circuit, compared to that of the light bulb, is negligible...which should be assumed from usual, practical application.:idea:

5. MedPR

MedPR Banned

MDApps:
    Pre-Podiatry
    They're saying to assume that the only resistance in the circuit is due to the lightbulb; that all other sources of resistance (the wire) are negligible. This is the basic assumption with all circuit questions unless stated otherwise.

About the ads