CBT-friendly adult internships in NYC area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sld9045

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying for internship this fall and for personal reasons, I am restricted to the NY/NJ region. I have a primarily CBT/DBT training background, with some more limited psychodynamic training. I am looking for internship sites in the NYC area that are CBT-friendly, but also provide well rounded training from various theoretical orientations. I am somewhat concerned that my limited psychodynamic training may make me a less competitive applicant in this region. I am seeking impressions about which NYC adult or combined adult/child sites may be better fits for a more CBT-oriented applicant. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Adding Columbia, NY-Presbyterian, Beth Israel, Manhattan VA, Bronx VA, Brooklyn VA, Jacobi/North Central Bronx, Manhattan Psychiatric Center, St. Lukes Roosevelt, Lenox Hill...and those are off the top of my head. Most sites are well-rounded with a good mix of CBT with psychodynamic supervisors, by the sheer nature of being in NYC, but I don't believe not focusing on psychodynamic training puts you at a disadvantage in NYC (Just FYI - I completed all my training in the 5 boroughs and am a permanent resident). I've had plenty of fellow trainees who focused-mainly on the CBT aspect of their training, especially from programs like Fordham or certain tracks of Yeshiva. Just be confident in your training-focus but open to other orientations, which will make you more desirable as a candidate (just in case you are interviewing with a psychodynamically-trained DCT...you'll never want to poo-poo another orientation at interviews, just emphasize your desired focus and perhaps why you feel more talented in CBT personally).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding Columbia, NY-Presbyterian, Beth Israel, Manhattan VA, Bronx VA, Brooklyn VA, Jacobi/North Central Bronx, Manhattan Psychiatric Center, St. Lukes Roosevelt, Lenox Hill...and those are off the top of my head. Most sites are well-rounded with a good mix of CBT with psychodynamic supervisors, by the sheer nature of being in NYC, but I don't believe not focusing on psychodynamic training puts you at a disadvantage in NYC (Just FYI - I completed all my training in the 5 boroughs and am a permanent resident). I've had plenty of fellow trainees who focused-mainly on the CBT aspect of their training, especially from programs like Fordham or certain tracks of Yeshiva. Just be confident in your training-focus but open to other orientations, which will make you more desirable as a candidate (just in case you are interviewing with a psychodynamically-trained DCT...you'll never want to poo-poo another orientation at interviews, just emphasize your desired focus and perhaps why you feel more talented in CBT personally).
Thank you! this is very helpful!

LIJ (Long Island Jewish) and New Jersey VA too! Even though the VA is NJ, it's commutable from NYC; I know a few friends who did just that! LIJ is also a good option-it's located on the Nassau/Queens border. I was restricted to the NY area as well- while my orientation is primarily CBT, I did have some training in dynamic work. I didn't have a problem matching in NY and am now at a heavily CBT post-doc (in NY as well).

Would commuting into Long Island be doable? If so, check out Northport VAMC. They might be a little too psychodynamically oriented for you, but they were very open to other theoretical orientations (I'm super CBT as well) and wanted a variety of orientations across their interns from what I gathered on interview day. May be worth checking out!

Thanks, this is helpful to know! I had the Northport VAMC tentatively on my list, but now I'll definitely apply

Reactions: 1 user
Weill Cornell is another CBT-friendly internship. It seems like a great program.

LIJ, Saint Luke's, NJ VA, Bronx VA, Rutgers Newark, Rutgers Piscataway, Albert Einstein to name a few