CC Credits and Part-Time Academics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masterofabcs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional student and full-time IT guy here in Texas, trying to make the switch and go for DO.

I am using grade replacement to fix a failed attempt at an accounting degree and I want to make sure I’m on the right course.

I’m worried about a few things;
  1. What is the impact of CC credits on the competiveness of my application? - Since I’ve begun replacing grades, I’ve received 2-3 A’s per semester while working full-time. As long as I am getting A’s, will the CC credits be viewed as academically rigorous enough for DO adcoms?
    1. I understand that not all CC’s are created equal. For what it’s worth, the CC which I attend has several direct acceptance programs with surrounding public universities
  2. As a part-time student, how can I demonstrate the ability to handle the medical school course load? Because I am a part-time student, two simultaneous science courses with labs consume most of my time. Do I need to re-evaluate my schedule to accommodate three science courses in one semester? How severely does this damage my competiveness?
  3. Do I need to retake accounting specific coursework? - I am in the process of retaking F/D/C coursework from a failed attempt at an Accounting degree back in 2008. Do I need to retake accounting specific F/D/C coursework?
Overall, I want to make sure that I only retake necessary coursework, my part-time status isn't too damning and my CC A’s have value.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to look into Texas's academic fresh start option as potentially an easier way to get rid of your old course work. The down side is all the good stuff >10 years old goes away too. The other downside is that only one DO school will honor it (TCOM), but all TX MD schools, minus Baylor, honor it too. So if you are set on DO because you think grade replacement is your only shot, fresh start may be something to do consider.