CC or UC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S-Mart

Employee of the Month
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm at a CC for another year or so I'm wondering if I should take O-chem here or wait til I transfer to a UC. As far as I know the UC med schools will accept it as a pre req. I just wanted some other peoples opinions on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

You should take all your required pre-reqs at a real university

Probably better to take it at a UC for a variety of reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good. Thanks guys.

I'm in the same situation, would you mind telling me some of the reasons for going to a UC?

I'm in the same situation, would you mind telling me some of the reasons for going to a UC?
Science courses at a big university are tougher than CC courses, or atleast taht's the perception. Med schools dont like to see that you've avoided taking the harder class for the better grade.

Also you may learn more at the UC and that'll help for the MCAT.

Also you may learn more at the UC and that'll help for the MCAT.

Also, the transition from UC science courses to med school courses will be easier than the transition from CC courses to med school courses.

Since I'm at a CC for another year or so I'm wondering if I should take O-chem here or wait til I transfer to a UC. As far as I know the UC med schools will accept it as a pre req. I just wanted some other peoples opinions on the matter.

why do ppl go to CC over UC?

I went to a CC and then transferred to a UC. I took some prereqs like Calc, GChem, Physics, and Cell & Molec. Bio at CC. I took OChem and all the rest of the Bio prereqs at the UC. CC classes were actually harder, but this will depend on the CC that you go to. During interviews my CC prereqs were never mentioned. I would take as many prereqs as you can at UC though, I think it does look better to adcoms to take classes at a university. If you take all of your prereqs at CC and do well on the MCAT and your upper-div classes it probably won't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you can transfer from a CC to a UC. um...whats the point..why cant you directly go to a UC?

so you can transfer from a CC to a UC. um...whats the point..why cant you directly go to a UC?
You save money by spending two years in CC while still ending up with a UC diploma

And you should change your icon

my icon makes me memorable. hahahahahaha.

cool. i didnt know that about CC to a UC switch. So you start 3rd year in a UC i presume...

Why do you want to be memorable in this way?

CCs provide the flexibility and affordability that UCs don't especially for non-trad students or those taking classes part-time. Where else can you take weekend and online and night classes at several different locations to fit your schedule? Within 15 miles, there are 5 CCs that I can take classes at for roughly $20 per unit. You can't beat that! Then, when you are ready to take upper div classes or those not offered, you can transfer to a UC or to a CSU to finish the pre-reqs or a degree program.

I'm going to go the opposite way on this one like I always do on the CC vs UC issue. You are in Sacramento right? California community colleges as someone already mentioned are said to be tougher than most states. That being said, in my organic class we have to take the ACS (American Chemical Society) test to pass the class which is a req for UC berkeley. This as well as the MCAT which I plan to do well on will be my defense when and adcomm asks me why I took all my prereqs at a CC. I am not worried about it at all.

California CC stardards are just as rigurous as UC standards. I think its funny how California has the best college system, but the worst grade school system.

California CC stardards are just as rigurous as UC standards. I think its funny how California has the best college system, but the worst grade school system.

Actually, I think Hawaii has the worst grade school system. But I can't imagine California is too far ahead.

It appears Seabee posted this question also in the military forum...

Again, I know I'm in the wrong forum... I'd much rather hear the opinions of AD/Veterans. For some reason they seem to know so much more than 20yo premeds whose life experience seems to equate to cashing mommy's check and spewing out false info....AKA Beatrixkiddo up there.:cool:

Perhaps this forum just isn't for you Seabee.

CC's are good, in fact, I think they're great. But taking your pre-med reqs there, you'd better get A's. And even then, they're going to be viewed with a critical eye. I would save the real req's (O-Chem, etc.) for when you're actually in the UC.

It appears Seabee posted this question also in the military forum...

Perhaps this forum just isn't for you Seabee.

Let me guess... you're a 20yo premed who cashes mommy's checks and talks out of his ass?

mmm, I was expecting you to personally attack me.
This just further proves your immaturity. Just how did you formulate the idea that I talk out of my ass as you so eloquently put it? I did reply to your thread and as you will read I don't think I ever spoke out of my ass.
Also, I don't know what age you are thinking most pre-med's are, but most are well you guessed it.....in their 20's!!!
Perhaps if you are looking for pre-med students with a little more "life experience" as you say, you should probably view the non-trad forum and stop bashing on people who are just trying to help you in the pre-allo forum.

I did reply to your thread and as you will read I don't think I ever spoke out of my ass.
You don't think you ever spoke out of your ass? You don't sound very confident...

On that note... I do appreciate everyone's advice. Even yours West Nile.

Science courses at a big university are tougher than CC courses, or atleast taht's the perception. Med schools dont like to see that you've avoided taking the harder class for the better grade.

My situation is that I have to complete a year of general chem, ochem, biology and physics at the CC before I can transfer to a UC. Well, I don't have to, but assist.org said it's strongly recommended.

If I do well at the UC, will most schools mind that I took classes at a CC?

My situation is that I have to complete a year of general chem, ochem, biology and physics at the CC before I can transfer to a UC. Well, I don't have to, but assist.org said it's strongly recommended.

If I do well at the UC, will most schools mind that I took classes at a CC?

My advisor says that if you start a series at a CC, it is HIGHLY recommended that you finish the sequence at the CC, or when you transfer to the UC, you may end up re-taking the class. Remember, almost all the UC's run on a quarter system, while most CC's run on the semester system.

And I don't think (emphasis on think) the med. admissions will mind that you took courses at a CC, considering that you are a transfer student. Taking CC courses while being a 4-year student is a different story...

thanawalt, I am not sure if your CCC offers it, but where I go (Chabot) they offer a intro to physics series which transfers to Davis, but to most other UC's it does not because it requires a calculus based lab which is no longer offered. I am trying to speak with the other UC's physics department which I have recently been interested in and have yet to hear back if I will be able to transfer this series over, but I am guessing the answer will be no. Therefore, I would suggest taking the calculus based physics at your school even if a non-calculus based is offered.
Again, I don't know where you go, but just thought I would throw this out there for you or anyone in a similar situation.

Im not required to do the calculus based physics, so its gona be an A that I wont have to work too hard for. Downside is that I have to take Orgo @ Davis.

Thanks for the info.

My CC, Ventura College, offers a year sequence of calculus-based physics in addition to a regular physics class, so now I know to do calculus-based.

:thumbup:

You could contact the dean of admissions at one of the UC's and have a meeting with him / her about your situation. never hurts to ask

Thanks for the info.

My CC, Ventura College, offers a year sequence of calculus-based physics in addition to a regular physics class, so now I know to do calculus-based.

:thumbup:

yeah definately, 2 semesters > 3semesters anyway, (as it appears on assist.org).

For what it is worth. I have taken several CC classes; however, schools such as Wake Forest state on their web site that they prefer prereq. classes from a university. Why take any chances if you don't have to.

DT

i know this point has been beaten to death, but ill beat is some more. take ALL your premed prereqs at a 4 year university. Yes, this means math, english, ochem, physics, bio....) Take any other class you want (even science classes) at a CC.

i know this point has been beaten to death, but ill beat is some more. take ALL your premed prereqs at a 4 year university. Yes, this means math, english, ochem, physics, bio....) Take any other class you want (even science classes) at a CC.

oh really? Thanks for clearing that up!

What you have failed to realize is that most of us (in this thread) started out at a california community college. We are transferring to a UC, which is very selective. One of their recommendations is that we complete all undergraduate work at the community college and transfer as a junior. For most of us on here transferring as a junior into a bio related major this includes taking math, english, ochem, physics, and bio.

So, whatever. There is always going to be this confusion on the issue of CC vs. 4 yr for prereq's. I give up, this will be the last time I post on the subject.