CC to Berkeley,UCSD, UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enrvged

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read the threads previously made, but I still cannot decide based on a multitude of factors.

Ochem tutor, private tutor for other subjects
Volunteering at several hospitals
ER Scribe for a month? (Haven't really gained the experience to speak highly of it)
3.6 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa ; still need physics II and 1 bio /L

My biggest problem is the competition at a school the caliber of Cal's. Will my GPA be tarnished? I am definitely not the smartest of the bunch. I know people that are much more talented than I am that are doing not so well at Cal and ultimately regret it for its academic rigor. Since I've taken most of the pre reqs already, will the upper divisions be that hard to accommodate/ do well in? SIRs are due june first, so I'd love to decide sometime this week.

Members don't see this ad.

Current Cal student here!

What is your intended major? If it's MCB you may want to really think about your decision. MCB is the most popular major on campus and it's brimming with pre-meds.

Competition here can be pretty stiff, but it's not like it's dog eat dog. I've met plenty of other students here who were more than willing to help me out when needed. Yes, classes here can be rigorous, but eventually you learn to get through them by developing a good work ethic. I'm definitely not one of the brightest students here, but I learned how to work smart and develop study methods that work for me.

If I were you, I'd go with the school where you see yourself most fit and feel like you can thrive the most.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Ultimately, you are transferring to a UC. You will not experience any opportunity to slack off at any of the institutions which you are considering transferring to.

Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oddly, the website for transfers does not state my specific major. But, I checked my UC APP and I applied as a neurobiology major which I believe is a sub speciality of MCB. If anyone has more insight, I would love to hear it!

Are you locked into being an MCB major or can you change? You might want to consider majoring in Integrative Bio or Nutritional Science (Physio track). I went to Cal and I thought IB/ NST classes were much more interesting/applicable to medicine than MCB classes and were a lot easier to get good grades in. Message me if you want more info!

You don't have to be brilliant to do well in college, if you can maintain a good work ethic and commitment to studying/doing well you will do better than most at any institution.

All concentrations of MCB will be hard. Just be realistic of your ability and make the call. If your peers, who you consider to be more talented than you are, aren't doing well at Cal, then that might be a good indication to think of other options. Up to you.