CC to UC transition question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emttim

Addicted to SCUBA
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm posing this question to those of you guys who went from a California CC to a UC. How many units (or if you feel inclined to share, what specific classes) did you take your first quarter? How was the transition? How many units was it recommended that you take as a new transfer?

The reason I ask is I plan to transfer to a UC next fall and as it stands now, my schedule for the first year is as follows:

Fall '08
15 units
Ochem 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab
Calculus 2

Winter '08
15 units
Ochem 2 + lab
Physics 2 + lab
Intro to Genetics

Spring '08
11 or 15 units
Ochem 3 + lab? (pre-med handout states only ochem 1 & 2 need to have lab for applying to med school, although I question this since you need a full year of ochem and I don't see how 2 quarters equates to a full year)
Physics 3 + lab
Intro to Physiology

I'm aware that 3 science classes is pretty doable, especially if one of them doesn't have lab, so I'm mainly curious as to whether it's advisable to take the normal course load (15 units) the first quarter. I'm contemplating maybe taking Calc 2 during the summer, but then that leaves 11 units, so I'd probably just have to add on yet another 4-unit class to fill in, so either way it'll probably be 15. Thoughts?

Also pondering for a third class taking german instead too, since I'm contemplating double majoring in German Literature, but not decided yet, so if I did that it'd be ochem, physics and german.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll look into that site, thanks for the tip!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm posing this question to those of you guys who went from a California CC to a UC. How many units (or if you feel inclined to share, what specific classes) did you take your first quarter? How was the transition? How many units was it recommended that you take as a new transfer?

The reason I ask is I plan to transfer to a UC next fall and as it stands now, my schedule for the first year is as follows:

Fall '08
15 units
Ochem 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab
Calculus 2

Winter '08
15 units
Ochem 2 + lab
Physics 2 + lab
Intro to Genetics

Spring '08
11 or 15 units
Ochem 3 + lab? (pre-med handout states only ochem 1 & 2 need to have lab for applying to med school, although I question this since you need a full year of ochem and I don't see how 2 quarters equates to a full year)
Physics 3 + lab
Intro to Physiology

I'm aware that 3 science classes is pretty doable, especially if one of them doesn't have lab, so I'm mainly curious as to whether it's advisable to take the normal course load (15 units) the first quarter. I'm contemplating maybe taking Calc 2 during the summer, but then that leaves 11 units, so I'd probably just have to add on yet another 4-unit class to fill in, so either way it'll probably be 15. Thoughts?

Also pondering for a third class taking german instead too, since I'm contemplating double majoring in German Literature, but not decided yet, so if I did that it'd be ochem, physics and german.

Don't take physics and O-chem together...that's just freaking insane. I did it and my gpa suffered so much for it. Remember, you have to take labs with each of those courses.....O-chem and physics by themselves is enough to keep you busy for the quarter.

PlAnEjaNe

Don't take physics and O-chem together...that's just freaking insane. I did it and my gpa suffered so much for it. Remember, you have to take labs with each of those courses.....O-chem and physics by themselves is enough to keep you busy for the quarter.

PlAnEjaNe

I'm doing it now. Its ok.

O-Chem's difficulty is definitely overrated.

Yeah I hear a lot about O-chem being overrated as far as difficulty goes. It's not so much that I think 15 units is too much or anything, I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to take that many units the first quarter at a 4-year, considering how much different I'm sure the quarter system and a UC is from a semester-based CC.

Yeah I hear a lot about O-chem being overrated as far as difficulty goes. It's not so much that I think 15 units is too much or anything, I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to take that many units the first quarter at a 4-year, considering how much different I'm sure the quarter system and a UC is from a semester-based CC.
You'll live through it if you have a good work ethic. If its a quarter system, you only get 12 weeks for a given class, which isn't much longer than a summer session.

Fall '08
15 units
Ochem 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab
Calculus 2

Winter '08
15 units
Ochem 2 + lab
Physics 2 + lab
Intro to Genetics

Spring '08
11 or 15 units
Physics 3 + lab
Intro to Physiology

I took a light load my first quarter. It was Ochem I (Chem 140A), Calculus III (Math 20C), biology II (Bild 2) and a pass/no pass class for a total of 16 units. You can do physics and ochem up to 15 units and it would be doable, but I wouldn't recommend taking the labs at the same time if you can avoid it. Even though they aren't a lot of units they take up a hell of a lot of time. It may seem like only 15 units, but with 2-3 hour long labs you might die...from cancer...no...really...cancer...