CCM burn out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the burn out rate of EM docs are high so some were planning to do a fellowship in CCM so that they could split time between both to prevent burn out. Doesnt CCM have a high burn out rate too?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard about the burn out rate of EM docs are high so some were planning to do a fellowship in CCM so that they could split time between both to prevent burn out. Doesnt CCM have a high burn out rate too?

Yes.

Current Opinion in Critical Care:
October 2007 - Volume 13 - Issue 5 - p 482-488
Based on most recent studies, severe burnout syndrome (as measured using the Maslach Burnout Inventory) is present in about 50% of critical care physicians and in one third of critical care nurses.

Yes.

Current Opinion in Critical Care:
October 2007 - Volume 13 - Issue 5 - p 482-488

Thanks for the response! One EM/CCM doc was telling me that his rationale for CCM with EM was that you can avoid burn out by having a change of CCM (50-50 shifts) compared to only doing EM .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! One EM/CCM doc was telling me that his rationale for CCM with EM was that you can avoid burn out by having a change of CCM (50-50 shifts) compared to only doing EM .

I don't buy that. I think there are overlapping causes of burnout between the 2 fields (critically ill patients, stressful patients/families, long or abnormal hours, etc.) Anyone that switches into critical care as a stress reliever should seriously reconsider that idea.

I don't buy that. I think there are overlapping causes of burnout between the 2 fields (critically ill patients, stressful patients/families, long or abnormal hours, etc.) Anyone that switches into critical care as a stress reliever should seriously reconsider that idea.

Thanks for the input. How often is it where you find EM/CCM docs working 50-50 shifts between ER and CCM (or any other proportion?) Or is it true that usually when one completes an CCM residency that they just stick with CCM?
Thanks

Thanks for the input. How often is it where you find EM/CCM docs working 50-50 shifts between ER and CCM (or any other proportion?) Or is it true that usually when one completes an CCM residency that they just stick with CCM?
Thanks

No idea. I don't think there are a large number of EM/CCM docs out there, as there aren't a lot of programs and the certification process only opened up recently.

Hey!
Great! Thanks for sharing, Keep it up:)