CCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olivedjazzer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing like being the last class to get one of these going...perhaps procrastination will be the defining characteristic of our group. :sleep:

Let the posts begin.

Oh - and congrats, I can't wait to meet you people.

Members don't see this ad.

Good work, olivedjazzer! We finally got one! :thumbup:

I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone and being students together. :)

CCOM's got one of my G's so it's pretty much a sure thing lol. I've still got applications out, but can't imagine an experience better than Midwestern's interview day. I wonder if anyone from my day is on here.....

Excited for the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congrats on everyone getting in. I interviewed back in October. Has anyone started looking for places to live yet?

Hey guys, congrats on everyone getting in. I interviewed back in October. Has anyone started looking for places to live yet?

Yeah, I'm going to DG March 24-26th to look at Yorktown, International Village, and Bristol Club Apartments. I may look at some in downtown DG as well. I thought it would be nice to get a few CCOM students interested in living in the same apt complex so we could carpool to school, study together, etc. From what I hear, support systems from peers are REALLY important in med school.

Attached is a spreadsheet of the apartments I'm looking at with rent, amenities, distance from CCOM, etc.

Attachments

• livingfor20112012-update1 (version 2).xlsx
    30.3 KB · Views: 189
Check out the facebook page for our class. Lots of people are discussing it there. I ill also be in town that week for anyone who wants to meet up for a drink or something.

Yeah, I'm going to DG March 24-26th to look at Yorktown, International Village, and Bristol Club Apartments. I may look at some in downtown DG as well. I thought it would be nice to get a few CCOM students interested in living in the same apt complex so we could carpool to school, study together, etc. From what I hear, support systems from peers are REALLY important in med school.

Attached is a spreadsheet of the apartments I'm looking at with rent, amenities, distance from CCOM, etc.

Thats a great idea Daisy. Im assuming you want to be closer to convenient transportation into the city?

I'd def like to try an make it out there to look at places. I'd have to take the train from the city, but that's fine.

Hey! thanks so much for putting that spreadsheet together! I think its a great idea to try to stay in the same apt complex - I can't wait to make a trip out there to look at places =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a great idea Daisy. Im assuming you want to be closer to convenient transportation into the city?

Yes, I do. The main reason is because my long-term boyfriend is going to be living in the same complex and is going to law school in downtown Chicago. But it'd also be convenient for a fun day or night off from studying/school. :)

Hey everyone,

I added a bunch more places and cleaned the spreadsheet up a bit. I'm visiting a good chunk of them next week. For those of you who are too far to visit, I'll try to get lots of details for you and post them here. :)

Attachments

• livingfor20112012-update1 (version 2).xlsx
    42.2 KB · Views: 179
Hello all,

My first post on SDN; hopefully I'm doing this right. Glad someone started this!

I've been lookin for apartments and have found Craigslist helpful, though I know the area really well so it might be tough to do if you don't. There are cheaper places to be found there.

Lookin forward to meeting everyone!

Future CCOM studs, I'm about to graduate and have amassed an impressive collection of books I won't need during residency and don't want to move. I'm not sure what the SDN policy on selling stuff is so I'm linking out to my craigslist add. Check it out... seriously cheap prices. I didn't buy books until after the course started and it became clear I would need them- most of these are pretty useful. Also, several of them are not the most current editions- but that shouldn't matter as most (all?) exam questions are based on provided notes and powerpoints and not books. These, if used properly, are mostly for reference.

The biggest deal are the opthalmoscope and bp cuff. I think I payed close to 500 bucks for that stuff (plus stethoscope, which I need for one more year... unfortunately).

I'm not on facebook, but I would definitely make it worth somebody's while to link my craigslist add on your classes page. Also, I live in the city but would be happy to drive out to DG/ campus if somebody is looking to buy while apartment shopping out that way.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bks/2276394754.html

Hey Holdsteady, I'm sure you're busy but do you have any input on living in the city? I'm contemplating living somewhere close to 290 closer to Chicago, but not sure if it will be worth it. Do most people stay around campus for the first few years?

I've still got a few applications open so I'm going to refrain from buying anything atm but will definitely see what's left when I know for sure.

I know some people that lived in the city the first two years but for most of them it was a matter of their SO having a job in the city. If you're dead set on the idea than I think you almost have to be near 290, which eliminates Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, etc. I live in the Ukrainian Village now which is pretty convenient for the rare occasion when I need to go out to campus. Its about 35-50 minutes in traffic. There a two decent compromises: first is Oak Park which will cut your commute, and put you on the blue line. The second is to catch the metra in downtown Downers Grove. If you catch an express train you're in the heart of Chicago in 25 minutes, otherwise it's about 50-60 minutes. The vast majority of my class lived somewhat near campus. I really didn't make the time to go to the city often during my first two years, and when I did have the occasion the train or a commute was not a problem. Plus when you do into the city it's usually going to be on a weekend when rush hour doesn't usually exist. Everybody is different though. I pretty much put my social life on hold for 2 years so it wasn't a big deal to have somewhat limited access to the city. Other people place more importance on that type of thing.

Just an update on those books... many of them are spoken for but there are a few that may interest 1st/ 2nd students. My otoscope/ opthalmoscope are still up there too. I'm having trouble editing my craigslist add, so I'll just create a new one each time I cross things off the list.

Search chicago craigslist under books and enter medical school to narrow your search.

Congrats on getting into medical school and have fun for the next few months... life changes in July/ August (or whenever they have you starting now).

Thank you so much, Holdsteady.
That info is really helpful. I'm beginning to think that it might not be a good idea for me to live that far away.

Are people still considering looking at places this weekend? my schedule looks pretty clear so if there's a decent group, I'd love to join. I'm also thinking that a roommate would be pretty ideal, so the more people I can meet before class, the better.

I'm borderline mental about being clean, so if anyone else is in that same boat and looking for a roommate, let me know.

Hey everyone!! I just got accepted to CCOM (interviewed 3/8). I've been on sdn for months just reading. I thought now that I'm in (and likely going to CCOM) it's time to get to know people!!:D

I just created a "roommate discussion thingy" for the CCOM class of 2015 facebook group. It's there in order to facilitate roommate finding.

Let me know what you all think. I tried to make it as complete as possible.

And yes, I realize that "roomate" is spelled incorrectly in the title. My B.

-Matt

Last edited:
Anybody else look into living at "The Residence at the Grove"? Heading down there in a couple weeks and just wanted to see what apartments you guys were leaning towards.

valid message

Last edited:
Supposedly, there was a list of good areas to live posted a couple of years ago, by TeamZissou I think. Does anyone have a link to that? I've been searching for it for the past hour or so and no dice. Either I don't understand how to fully utilize the search capabilities of SD, or it really does suck as bad as it seems.

I think this is a great idea. I study better when surrounded by motivated people. I live across the country, so I probably will one of those people needing to rent site-unseen, so thank you for the spreadsheet.

Post again if you make any decisions or have new information.

I think this is a great idea. I study better when surrounded by motivated people. I live across the country, so I probably will one of those people needing to rent site-unseen, so thank you for the spreadsheet.

Post again if you make any decisions or have new information.

Hey! Sorry it's been a while. SDN stopped emailing me for some reason. I have a roommate who is going to CCOM and we are living in a 2 bedroom apartment in downtown Downers Grove. It's a stand alone 2 BR above a store. It's kind of ironic that I was pushing so much for living in a huge complex with a bunch of people, but when I visited all of the luxury apartments they were all so expensive and far from downtown Downers Grove, which is where a lot med students hang out to study and go to bars according to the current ones I talked to. If anyone is interested in living in downtown Downers Grove I know a few places right by the train station to downtown Chicago and I can give you contact info. The rent is substantially cheaper down here ($500 a mo.!!). Let me know. :)

Can't wait to start in August and meet everyone!

2 BDR/2Bath Roomy Condo Rent: Chicago suburbs/Elmhurst IL $1500 / 2br/2bath - Roomy Condo for rent- Near Midwestern Univ and Loyola medical center (Elmhurst, IL)

BEAUTIFUL 2 BEDROOM, 2 BATH CONDO CLOSE TO NEW ELMHURST MEMORIAL HOSPITAL!! Condo has Washer and Dryer in Unit + Oven/Range, Refrigerator, Dishwasher & Microwave. Formal Dining Room, Large Living Room, Eat In Kitchen, Master Bedroom with Bath. Wonderful balcony, Garage & Storage!

1560 squrare foot. Inlcudes water/garbage/sewer.

[email protected]

ROOMMATE NEEDED! Hey everyone me and my roommates are looking for one more person to join us in "the fortress" on 418 Wilson street in downers grove. Guy or girl, rent is $600 a month and there will be 5 other roommates to split utilities with. All other roommates are also med students of various years at CCOM. If you're interested just message me!

I currently live at Versailles on the Lakes and can give you my thoughts on these apartments if you email me at [email protected] (not on SDN often).

Hi everyone! I emailed Grant regarding Versailles on the Lakes and this is what he had to say:

Versailles is a great place, but rent is significantly higher than other apartments. Therefore it really depends upon your budget and if you'll have any roommates. Make sure you get the Midwestern University student discount (you may need a coupon or something and I can't remember where I found one but I'm sure if you ask they'll throw it in). There's also some dumb "pick an envelope" situation for a signing bonus, I received a $500. You'll have to get a credit check and possibly a background check (I had to have my parents co-sign), it's weird but worth it for the amenities this place has.

Although Versailles has a weight room, swimming pools, grills with gas-line propane, a movie theater, etc. I don't have much time to partake in them. Sometimes I go work out there, seldomly swim when the weather is nice, but otherwise much of your time will be spent studying. The clubhouse is good for studying on some days; sometimes there are a lot of people in there. One of the nice things they do have though is Errand Master, which can do dry cleaning among many other things. I was given 5 free movie rentals, $10 worth of dry cleaning, and some free stuff (but this could have been because my apartment semi-flooded the day I moved in; this is another long story but you don't have to worry about that).

The grounds are kept ship-shape, they are always planting flowers and mowing the lawn; theres a sprinkler system even. It's very clean; very safe, always patrol cars driving by, but never anything going down. As for the noise, make sure you don't get an apartment near the trash shoot or main entry; I'm sure it would be louder than usual there. I don't have many complaints for noise, but I'm sure if you lived next to a family with an infant it could get annoying. If the people above me are blaring their TV I can hear it, but otherwise it's quiet.

Also, the showcase rooms they show you in the office look spectacular. Every apartment has a slightly different layout though and nothing is exactly the same square foot measurements; obviously they will try hard to sell you with these showcase rooms, so ask if it's possible to have a tour of the apartment you are interested in. Most of the time you wont be able to do this though, unless there is nobody living there at the moment.

Another thing I need to personally consider for future apartments: I feel it would be wise to pick a ground-level floor if you'll be moving in a bunch of furniture. However, I have noticed a significant number of spiders, so I don't know if this has anything to do with me living on the ground floor or not; I don't care, my fiancée does.

Overall, this place far exceeded my expectations, but this is largely because I lived in very crappy college apartments in Champaign, IL for four years. Driving to school is easy, hardly any REAL traffic, but there is construction at 1 of the 3 intersections that you'll be using. It takes me maybe 5-10 minutes to get to school; only like 2 miles away.

Also unrelated to apartments, but only purchase $200 of lunch ("munch") money at school. Getting $400 could do, but you'll have to really try hard to buy all the food before time runs out, especially since there are a ton of free lunches from guest speakers and student group meetings.

I thought I would share the info!

Someone above mentioned Oak Park... I have been living in Oak Park for two years now and have decided to stay and commute to Downers. There are so many apartments out here that rent was just unbeatable. Anyone else looking at the Oak Park area or live here already that wants to carpool?

Quick question about munch money:

During my interview, the student amb said we shouldn't get a plan. Instead, we should just add money into as we go. Is that a good idea. I'm filling out that part of the contract right now, and I'm tempted to just not put down any money at all.

Much thanks.

During my interview, the student amb said we shouldn't get a plan. Instead, we should just add money into as we go. Is that a good idea. I'm filling out that part of the contract right now, and I'm tempted to just not put down any money at all.

Much thanks.

What contract are you referring to relating to a meal plan? Is it tied to financial aid or are you filling out another form?

What contract are you referring to relating to a meal plan? Is it tied to financial aid or are you filling out another form?

I don't think it is tied to financial aid. It's the contract that you have to fill out on the student portal. It gives you the option of 100, 200, 400...

Does anyone know of any updates on the construction of the new Science Hall? I saw that they had a ceremony where they put up the last beam a couple months ago, but all I could find was that they said it should be completed in the Spring. I know some of our classes are supposed to be there, and am very curious when it will be open (if it is not already).

Hey there Team Zissou!

Still wondering if you are looking for a roommate. Am in desperate need of digs. I am incoming student from Northern New York, to CCOM the end of July. Let me know if you want any more info about me or my style of living.

Hope all is well!

Christina

Hey there Team Zissou!

Still wondering if you are looking for a roommate. Am in desperate need of digs. I am incoming student from Northern New York, to CCOM the end of July. Let me know if you want any more info about me or my style of living.

Hope all is well!

Christina

Hey Christina,

Sorry but we already filled the spot at our house but I know there is a fellow first year girl looking for a roommate. She just posted on the Facebook group page yesterday so try giving her a shout. Best of luck and congrats on the acceptance!

Hay guys.

If a current student or one that apparently paid attention at their interview could answer this question, I'd be real happy.

What's the computer situation? Are we required to buy a specific one? or given one? I'm really confused as to why I don't know this. I've searched the site and called the admissions office, who transferred me to the IT desk, who didn't know about my specific program....

If there isn't a computer requirement, are there any compatibility issues with apples?

Thanks

There is no computer requirement, nor do you receive a laptop or anything. However, if you do not have a computer you will need to visit the library often to take online quizzes through blackboard; people have had issues with blackboard using Macs, so fair warning. Otherwise, if you have a mac, ensure that whatever you email or receive to friends is compatible.

There is no computer requirement, nor do you receive a laptop or anything. However, if you do not have a computer you will need to visit the library often to take online quizzes through blackboard; people have had issues with blackboard using Macs, so fair warning. Otherwise, if you have a mac, ensure that whatever you email or receive to friends is compatible.

I have a Mac and never had compatability issues nor can I recall my friends having them. There is a huge number of students who have macs so if you like them stay with it.

Much thanks.

if you use munch money, you can only use it in the cafeteria or the grab n go thing downstairs. t does not roll over from quarter to quarter so it is use it or lose it. if you want to put something down, go with the smallest amount if you are living off campus imho because you really do not know how much you will spend there in a given quarter. there were people in my class who at the end of every quarter were buying lunches for their friends because they had so much munch money left.

the other option is to do the declining balance which you can use at the cafeteria, the grab n go as well as the printers. this balance does roll over from quarter to quarter so if you do not use it then you just carry it over with you.

however, if you are living on campus and will be using the dining room as your primary means of food nourishment then do the munch money.

Hay guys.

If a current student or one that apparently paid attention at their interview could answer this question, I'd be real happy.

What's the computer situation? Are we required to buy a specific one? or given one? I'm really confused as to why I don't know this. I've searched the site and called the admissions office, who transferred me to the IT desk, who didn't know about my specific program....

If there isn't a computer requirement, are there any compatibility issues with apples?

Thanks

as the other guys have said, you can use whatever you want.

i think there was some minor issue with blackboard quizzes and macs but it was the first yr they were doing them. there may or may not be issues with it next year.

if you use munch money, you can only use it in the cafeteria or the grab n go thing downstairs. t does not roll over from quarter to quarter so it is use it or lose it. if you want to put something down, go with the smallest amount if you are living off campus imho because you really do not know how much you will spend there in a given quarter. there were people in my class who at the end of every quarter were buying lunches for their friends because they had so much munch money left.

the other option is to do the declining balance which you can use at the cafeteria, the grab n go as well as the printers. this balance does roll over from quarter to quarter so if you do not use it then you just carry it over with you.

however, if you are living on campus and will be using the dining room as your primary means of food nourishment then do the munch money.

Ah, thank you, thank you. I will be living on-campus. I chose 100 on the meal-plan contract. Can I add in more money as the semester goes on? Thanks.

Hi guys,

I never got any info in the mail about orientation. Now that it is less than a week away, I'm kind of worried. Did everybody else receive this info? If so, would someone mind emailing me the schedule so I know when and where to show up?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody!

[email protected]

Nevermind, forgot this was one of the attachments in that multiple attachment email a while back.

Hi guys,

I never got any info in the mail about orientation. Now that it is less than a week away, I'm kind of worried. Did everybody else receive this info? If so, would someone mind emailing me the schedule so I know when and where to show up?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody!

[email protected]

I will be taking the Master of Arts in Biomed at Midwestern (Sep 2014-May 2015) and wondering if any of you can recommend a place to live? Contacts of those interested in splitting the rooms? etc Any info is highly appreciated.
THANK YOU