CCOM class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's finally hit me that I got into medical school and that I will be CCOM Class of 2017. Officially left my deposit about a week ago and I'm sooooo stoked to meet all of you. I have a feeling this years class is gonna be the bomb.com :) I'm gonna try to make it on the 12th but I don't know if I can. Im still in school so stuff is kinda still hectic for me. I'm free most weekends though and I live in Rogers Park so hit me up if anyone wants to do anything!!! :0

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if some current students could share their experiences on the CCOM test schedule? I know that they have a lot of tests very often, and that appears to work out really nicely to keep students on top of everything. I was just wondering if the weekly tests are very manageable because they more focused material than one giant test, or is it still really difficult because the minutia is tested also?

I went to CCOM, graduated in 2009. I can tell you that the test schedule is ****. There is almost always a test MWF, if not, then T/Th. Theres also quizzes in between. You basically have to be studying for one test while studying for another. Its like finals all week, every week, for the first two years.

I rather liked the setup though. It means that each test can ONLY be over a limited amount of material as none of them are cumulative except for a few, which I cannot remember.

Allow me to just add. I applied to two DO schools. My instate school and CCOM. I chose CCOM. Your breath of rotations (i only did two at Oly, the majority at Cook County) is unparalleled. If ANYONE is on the fence, go to CCOM. You will have zero regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's finally hit me that I got into medical school and that I will be CCOM Class of 2017. Officially left my deposit about a week ago and I'm sooooo stoked to meet all of you. I have a feeling this years class is gonna be the bomb.com :) I'm gonna try to make it on the 12th but I don't know if I can. Im still in school so stuff is kinda still hectic for me. I'm free most weekends though and I live in Rogers Park so hit me up if anyone wants to do anything!!! :0

Welcome!

Allow me to just add. I applied to two DO schools. My instate school and CCOM. I chose CCOM. Your breath of rotations (i only did two at Oly, the majority at Cook County) is unparalleled. If ANYONE is on the fence, go to CCOM. You will have zero regrets.

Thanks for reiterating why this school is so great

So I know that everyone says you can get CCOM's provided class notes, which are very comprehensive and reflective of exams. I was assuming based on the way people described them, they were a hard-copy stack of paper. If this is true, does anyone know if a digital copy in word .doc/docx or .pdf format is available as well?

this really varies by department. some are better at recognizing that more and more students prefer an electronic version and will post a pdf of the notes on blackboard, some do not. some will post regular power points and some do not - it really does vary.
i have heard whispers that there is a push to make an electronic version available in lieu of the printed version but i have no clue where they are in this process since i am not dependent on lecture notes anymore.
hth some

Nothing yet. There are many suburbs around Downers Grove that would be a little cheaper. Are you guys getting studios/1 br or looking for roommates?

I've started a list of possible locations I should look into based off of advice from current students.
Clover Creek, Brook hill, Versailles on the lake, International Village, yorktown and city view.

I haven't had a chance to actually look into them though. I've been pretty swamped at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking into both. The one bedrooms are so expensive though.

Hey it was great meeting you guys the other night. Looking forward to the next get-together.

Yeah it was nice to meet up and get to know you guys. See everybody at the next meet and greet!

Terrified. Just paid the one grand deposit, looked at FAFSA loans, and realized that my parents' income is going to prohibit me from taking federal loans, and I'm looking at sky- high debt (300,000+). Is it worth it?

Terrified. Just paid the one grand deposit, looked at FAFSA loans, and realized that my parents' income is going to prohibit me from taking federal loans, and I'm looking at sky- high debt (300,000+). Is it worth it?

Your parents income should have no effect on your ability to take out student loans. It does affect any financial aid you could get.

The answer is most definitely yes! Forget for a minute that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and will allow you to do great things, but from a strictly financial perspective, although initial debt is large, you will more than likely make that and more within two-three years post-residency. Think of someone who makes $40,000/yr. Would you even question $40,000 in college loans? You have to put it all into perspective. Plus, there are other options, too. Have you thought about a military scholarship? What about those five year primary care payback or rural health payback scholarships? Also, I may be wrong, but I believe that if you file your own tax returns and do not allow your parents to claim you in theirs, then their income should not have any impact on the aid you are given; however, you're previous year's wages will. Also, even with little provided in initial aid, with good credit, I'm pretty sure you still qualify for Grad Plus loans. In summary, I wouldn't let the cost of medical school deter you from attending.

First post on SDN. Accepted CCOM class of 2017.

Thanks! Congratulations to you all as well!

BTW. Does anyone know how to access a breakdown of the cost of living? I left mine at home over the holidays.

Hi everyone! New to SDN and excited to meet you all in the fall! Congrats to everyone!!!:)

I'm already on the Facebook page! :) So what is everyone doing until classes start?

Work, volunteer, travel, and watching way to much Netflix.

Same here. Pretty much doing everything and anything productive until classes start. Have any of you guys gotten your physicals and immunization requirements started yet?

Same here. Pretty much doing everything and anything productive until classes start. Have any of you guys gotten your physicals and immunization requirements started yet?

I started the immunizations process in December and I'm still working on it because I was negative on a couple of titers and had to get the boosters; in fact, I still have another shot to get, and then I have to wait another 4-6 weeks before I can get the titers drawn again. All in all, it will have been a 3-4 month process. Moral of the story, don't wait to long! :thumbup:

I started the immunizations process in December and I'm still working on it because I was negative on a couple of titers and had to get the boosters; in fact, I still have another shot to get, and then I have to wait another 4-6 weeks before I can get the titers drawn again. All in all, it will have been a 3-4 month process. Moral of the story, don't wait to long! :thumbup:

I turned in my immunization 2 weeks ago. It was definitely a hassle!

Does anyone have any idea of what our class schedule is gonna look like? How many hours do we spend in class a day and what days do we have class?

Does anyone have any idea of what our class schedule is gonna look like? How many hours do we spend in class a day and what days do we have class?

They gave a sample schedule during the ii. Should be in your folder!

How do we find the immunizations needed? I know it's on the website because I have looked at it before, but can't remember where it was.

If you click on the student services tab, it's under forms and immunizations.

either/or works. just need a 6-pack before lab starts. anyone else working out or doing something fun?