CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II's are for sure still going out. Got an invite on 1/13 around 2:30 pm. Scheduled for March. Completed 9/15. Theres still hope! Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I submitted my application in late December (for several good reasons) and wanted to know if anyone knows when I can expect an interview or if I've submitted too late. I think I have a solid application...

Hey everyone, I submitted my application in late December (for several good reasons) and wanted to know if anyone knows when I can expect an interview or if I've submitted too late. I think I have a solid application...

No one can really predict this, though they wouldn't bother accepting applications in late December if there was no chance they would interview/accept those people, you may need to have a stand out application and a little luck to get an interview though. They do interviews through April, the last posted interview offer was on 1/13 for a March interview so they aren't full yet.

According to CCOM website: "...applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early in the cycle. Due to the large number of applications and the limited number of seats available, applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis only until all seats are filled. Typically, 50% of all admissions offers are made by the end of December."

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

i withdrew my acceptance today. I hope one of you guys who are still waiting for the interview get the spot. good luck!!

I withdrew my acceptance a few days ago. Good luck! I hope it goes to someone who really wants it :)

Hey everyone, I just cancelled my interview at CCOM for next Tuesday, January 24th. I know it's not much notice, but that morning may now be available for you to grab if you want it!

I've been applying to MD & DO schools. It seems like most MD schools are pass/fail for grading. MWU is A/B/C/D/F, right? Do any current student know if there are plans to change this? It's not a factor that's contributing to my decision, but I'm just curious why there is this difference. It seems like the P/F makes it less stressful & competitive.

I've been applying to MD & DO schools. It seems like most MD schools are pass/fail for grading. MWU is A/B/C/D/F, right? Do any current student know if there are plans to change this? It's not a factor that's contributing to my decision, but I'm just curious why there is this difference. It seems like the P/F makes it less stressful & competitive.

I can say that there aren't plans to change this, they've had this system since the olden days. It is frustrating at times that we do receive grades, but ultimately at any school your class rank is determined from scholastic performance, so whether or not a school has grades becomes immaterial for this. The only nice thing about grades is they sometimes keep you motivated to work harder to attain a certain grade. Either way, our class is not very competitive, and everybody is always helping one another out, so I can't say that grades makes us extremely competitive.

hope this helps :D

Pass/Fail generally isn't truly pass/fail either. It's usual;y something like Honors Pass/High Pass/Pass/Fail (or A/B/C/F) and Pass/Fail schools may keep more detailed grading for the purpose of class rank but just not share those with the student.

Not sure how this effects the competitiveness at CCOM but at least I get to find out this summer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can say that there aren't plans to change this, they've had this system since the olden days. It is frustrating at times that we do receive grades, but ultimately at any school your class rank is determined from scholastic performance, so whether or not a school has grades becomes immaterial for this. The only nice thing about grades is they sometimes keep you motivated to work harder to attain a certain grade. Either way, our class is not very competitive, and everybody is always helping one another out, so I can't say that grades makes us extremely competitive.

hope this helps :D

agree with this 100%.

personally i feel like if it was just pass/fail i may not work as hard. having grades makes me try to do the best i can on each exam and prepare the very best i can for each exam.
and we are by no means competitive....we are the most supportive class i have ever been a part of. classmates are constantly sharing study guides and other helpful links etc with each other.

each school will have its own personality, the key to success is finding the one that fits your personality best.

Looks like they are starting to send out rejections. I just received one in the mail today and I was complete sometime in Sept/Oct.

@LM136 Did you want to go to CCOM or why do you feel you got a rejection letter from them?

There seems to be alot of movement in the interview scheduling system. People are constantly dropping and rescheduling. I moved up a full month from my original date. Interviewing in early Feb. now. Wouldn't be surprised if some more II's went out soon.

@LM136 Did you want to go to CCOM or why do you feel you got a rejection letter from them?

I sent them a update/letter of interest in December stating that I was very interested in the school. My stats were above their avg. MCAT and GPA scores for the class entering in 2010 (as listed on their website), and I had a letter of rec. from a CCOM grad, so I'm not entirely sure why I didn't receive an interview invite. The admissions process continues to baffle me. However, I'm not too bummed because I already got accepted to my top 2 schools so life is still good.

@LM136 I also have a letter of rec. from a CCOM grad which I thought was awesome. This whole process baffles me too. I am applying late for Fall 2012 so if I don't get in this year I won't be surprised either. I do, however, really want to go to CCOM and I do really want to get into school this year. What are your top 2 choices?

Acceptances for 1/24 are out!! Congrats and good luck to all! =)

Got the acceptance email this morning!

Accepted this morning! If money werent an issue I would absolutely go here since their rotation program and match ratings are extremely good and the facility is very nice, but since it is...I am glad I have 20 days at least to mull it over before I have to shell out $1000.

Accepted this morning! If money werent an issue I would absolutely go here since their rotation program and match ratings are extremely good and the facility is very nice, but since it is...I am glad I have 20 days at least to mull it over before I have to shell out $1000.

Hi Gator and other recent acceptees. Congrats! I'm interviewing this month and am very excited but nervous. I have not had any interview invites elsewhere so I haven't had much practice which seems to be adding to my nervousness. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this is a general question but just hearing back from people who have been interviewed later in the cycle like end of January and been accepted will put me more at ease. Just worried to have the interview be this far in, especially since I was complete 9/15.

A few more specific questions I have:

-Approx how many questions is appropriate to ask the interviewers at the end of the interview? I have tons of questions but am not sure how many is okay to ask.

-Was the Interview Feedback here on SDN helpful in preparing for the interview?

-I live very close to CCOM and because I want to stay close to home this is a major factor for me. Is this a point worth bringing to the interviewers attention somehow?

Thanks so much for any help in advance!!!!!!

Hi Gator and other recent acceptees. Congrats! I'm interviewing this month and am very excited but nervous.

This is what your interview day will look like. You'll get there in the morning and meet in a room with ~10-12 other interviewees. Someone form the admissions office will be there to welcome you, give you information and guide you through the morning. During this you'll get a presentation from either the dean of CCOM or someone from her office (this is a great time to ask questions!) After that you''ll have interviews. You'll have one interview with a student and a faculty member (they interview each person individually, not a group interview). You'll then get a finachial aid presentation then a campus tour by a student and lunch. The tour has lots of walking (some outside) but they'll let you change shoes before hand if you need to.

-Approx how many questions is appropriate to ask the interviewers at the end of the interview? I have tons of questions but am not sure how many is okay to ask.

I asked three questions. My goal in choosing the questions was not as much to get information but to open up discussion about me. (In one, I asked about the attitude of students towards helping each other / competitiveness. This lead to me talking about how I am the type of student that helps others learn) I don't know if there is a solid answer to exactly how many but don't waste their time with small stuff / stuff that's on their website / stuff admissions office can answer in an email. I came with a list of about 15 questions, they Dean and person from the admissions office answered all but two (I came up with a 3rd during the interview)

It was pretty accurate but talking to the other people there that day, exactly what you will be asked seemed to vary a lot from interviewer to interviewer.

-I live very close to CCOM and because I want to stay close to home this is a major factor for me. Is this a point worth bringing to the interviewers attention somehow?

Other people may have gotten a different impression but I don't think they really care where you are from or where you plan on spending your career. If you want to say something I would frame it as you have grown up in the area and want to stay in the Chicago area after school / residency. (Helping undeserved Chicagoans perhaps) Showing them that you desire CCOM specifically is good though.

Best of luck. If you want anymore details, PM me.

Well, I just found CCOM's rotation sites http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=471052. I just want to know, how likely are you to be able to do all your rotations or near it (like Park Ridge). I really want to avoid St. James since it's so far away in Olympia Fields and Chicago Heights. It would be great to do my rotations at Stroger, Lutheran, Resurrection, Provident, etc.

Well, I just found CCOM's rotation sites http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=471052. I just want to know, how likely are you to be able to do all your rotations or near it (like Park Ridge). I really want to avoid St. James since it's so far away in Olympia Fields and Chicago Heights. It would be great to do my rotations at Stroger, Lutheran, Resurrection, Provident, etc.

This is how it was described to me... you make a list of 3-5 sites you want for each rotation (First choice, second, ect). Most people get one of their top three, MSIV gets priority.

You probably wont be able to do just one hospital but for the most part you should be able to stay on the same side of the city.

Just wanted to say good luck to all the applicants! This looked like an awesome school and the interviews were very conversational! Just know about yourself and be confident..and you will do great

Last edited:
This is how it was described to me... you make a list of 3-5 sites you want for each rotation (First choice, second, ect). Most people get one of their top three, MSIV gets priority.

You probably wont be able to do just one hospital but for the most part you should be able to stay on the same side of the city.
Yeah, I don't mind switching hospitals, as long as it isn't so far out like St. James.

Since most students have their rotations in the city for the 3rd and 4th years, do they not have cars and use public transportation for those years?

Hi Gator and other recent acceptees. Congrats! I'm interviewing this month and am very excited but nervous. I have not had any interview invites elsewhere so I haven't had much practice which seems to be adding to my nervousness. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this is a general question but just hearing back from people who have been interviewed later in the cycle like end of January and been accepted will put me more at ease. Just worried to have the interview be this far in, especially since I was complete 9/15.

A few more specific questions I have:

Thanks so much for any help in advance!!!!!!

Thanks!

A previous poster put some good good feedback to your questions so I will just add some.

My interview was actually shorter than everyone elses (which made me a bit nervous) and only last about 20 minutes. Some other students lasted up to 40. I did not get the ethical questions (some did) or the why CCOM like a lot of others. My interview was geared more towards my interactions and experience in working with people..both in good and bad situations. I suggest you prepare for the interview conscious that they are more disposed towards primary care than other fields (although they are very proud (and should be!) of the diversity of fields their graduates enter. I am not really saying that you go in there gushing about how you only want to do primary care because its your lifelong dream. Your interviewers will be a 4th year student, a DO doctor, and a PhD who have done these interviews before (and gone through them themselves) so they will be able to sniff BS like this from the beginning and could lead to a nasty twist in the interview. I am telling you to evaluate what makes a good primary care doctor and how you can exemplify those in your experiences.

Do not be thrown off if one of your interviewers is a stick in the mud as well, as one of them probably will be just to see how you react. If you are nervous (I know I was petrified on my first interview)..a little humor never hurt either and will lighten the tension in the room not to mention show a little personality. They pretty much want to see you are human and can build a personable relationship with someone you just met at this point in the process.

To answer your specifics-

About questions..do not ask questions that could be answered in a 1 second google search, a question comparing the school to another in any sort of way, or questions that could have a possible negative answer (save those for the student lunch). I asked about 2 or 3 questions. You have to have a presence of mind during the interview...if it feels like no time has gone by at all..keep the conversation going with questions it shows you are interested and that you aren't trying to get out of there asap. If the interview has gone on for a very long time then maybe you should stop asking. There is no real limit.

Yes SDN interview feedback is the best thing available to someone preparing for an interview. Go through the questions posted and make sure you could potentially answer the question if asked to you.

Although I was not asked why CCOM, I think bringing up the fact that you have family and grew up in the area is a big bonus that a lot of instate people do not recognize and take advantage of. The fact that you have a support system and are comfortable in the area supports the fact that you not only have knowledge and a sense of what life is like, but that you will be less likely to break down with the high stress of living on the verge of a major city and medical school. It also confirms that you became interested in medicine in the same type of environment they are placed in...so will probably continue practicing in the area.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

A previous poster put some good good feedback to your questions so I will just add some.

My interview was actually shorter than everyone elses (which made me a bit nervous) and only last about 20 minutes. Some other students lasted up to 40. I did not get the ethical questions (some did) or the why CCOM like a lot of others. My interview was geared more towards my interactions and experience in working with people..both in good and bad situations. I suggest you prepare for the interview conscious that they are more disposed towards primary care than other fields (although they are very proud (and should be!) of the diversity of fields their graduates enter. I am not really saying that you go in there gushing about how you only want to do primary care because its your lifelong dream. Your interviewers will be a 4th year student, a DO doctor, and a PhD who have done these interviews before (and gone through them themselves) so they will be able to sniff BS like this from the beginning and could lead to a nasty twist in the interview. I am telling you to evaluate what makes a good primary care doctor and how you can exemplify those in your experiences.

Do not be thrown off if one of your interviewers is a stick in the mud as well, as one of them probably will be just to see how you react. If you are nervous (I know I was petrified on my first interview)..a little humor never hurt either and will lighten the tension in the room not to mention show a little personality. They pretty much want to see you are human and can build a personable relationship with someone you just met at this point in the process.

To answer your specifics-

About questions..do not ask questions that could be answered in a 1 second google search, a question comparing the school to another in any sort of way, or questions that could have a possible negative answer (save those for the student lunch). I asked about 2 or 3 questions. You have to have a presence of mind during the interview...if it feels like no time has gone by at all..keep the conversation going with questions it shows you are interested and that you aren't trying to get out of there asap. If the interview has gone on for a very long time then maybe you should stop asking. There is no real limit.

Yes SDN interview feedback is the best thing available to someone preparing for an interview. Go through the questions posted and make sure you could potentially answer the question if asked to you.

Although I was not asked why CCOM, I think bringing up the fact that you have family and grew up in the area is a big bonus that a lot of instate people do not recognize and take advantage of. The fact that you have a support system and are comfortable in the area supports the fact that you not only have knowledge and a sense of what life is like, but that you will be less likely to break down with the high stress of living on the verge of a major city and medical school. It also confirms that you became interested in medicine in the same type of environment they are placed in...so will probably continue practicing in the area.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your help everyone! Much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys at Midwestern :)

this is precisely correct. you make a decision for each rotation where you want to be and rank the spots in order of preference.

so when you do your selection (which is not until second year march) you simply select sites that are nearer to where you will be living.

Since most students have their rotations in the city for the 3rd and 4th years, do they not have cars and use public transportation for those years?

i do not think this is possible because you may not get to be in the same spot or spots that are easily accessible via public transportation for this two years.
plus, certain rotations (ie surgery) are notorious for starting at insane hours in the morning which may make taking public transportation there difficult since in the early hours the trains are either far and few between or are not running at all on certain CTA lines.

hth some

What study materials do M1's use to study for the boards during the year?

I got a 26q and 27p on mcats and have science and overall gpa over 3.8. Still haven't heard anything from the committee on interview. My do letter wasn't actually matched to my file until jan 9 or so, but I'm wondering if I still have a shot and what the average time to here back about getting the interview invite might be

What study materials do M1's use to study for the boards during the year?

i think it depends on your personality.
i liked the BRS series for anatomy and physic, i found both to be helpful. I also liked high yield embryology for first year. clinical neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple is another goldmine :)
also i highly recommend gray's anomy for students (the text book not the atlas) so much better than clinically oriented anatomy, goes nicely with our notes and saved my behind in anatomy on more than one occasion :cool:

i did get a first aid before my first year but mainly used it between first and second year to secure knowledge over the summer before second year began.

hth some
:luck:

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Has anyone received an interview invite recently? My application was complete fairly late because I was waiting on a DO letter. I'd love to know of they're still inviting people though.

Has anyone received an interview invite recently? My application was complete fairly late because I was waiting on a DO letter. I'd love to know of they're still inviting people though.

+1 - I am in a similar situation. Would love to know if any interview invites are still out there...even for the waitlist.

I had everything in 12/9 and I got an invite on 1/13. I was able to interview 2/6. Does anyone know when the committee is meeting? I am hoping it is tomorow, 2/15. I had heard that sometime before presidents day would be a reasonable timetable.

Last edited:
I interviewed today. They said that the committe meets around the end of the month. All Feb interviews would be considered and they go from there.

I had everything in 12/9 and I got an invite on 1/13. I was able to interview 2/6. Does anyone know when the committee is meeting? I am hoping it is tomorow, 2/15. I had heard that sometime before presidents day would be a reasonable timetable.

we have finals next week so they will not meet then as they do not typically meet during finals week
we are off the week after for quarter break so they will not meet then either as they never meet on quarter break week to the best of my knowledge

if i was a betting woman i would say they are due to meet this week by process of elimination ;)

+1 - I am in a similar situation. Would love to know if any interview invites are still out there...even for the waitlist.
same same same here. CCOM is near the top of my list because of my family who lives there....
my DO letter was sent in rather late, probably around mid-jan.
Still haven't heard back from them. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

How's the class size looking so far, for those who have already interviewed?
And how long did it take for you (all) to get an interview after your file was complete??

AHHH NERVOUS WRECK >_<

same same same here. CCOM is near the top of my list because of my family who lives there....

And how long did it take for you (all) to get an interview after your file was complete??

AHHH NERVOUS WRECK >_<

My invite for an interview was sent Jan 10 and my application was marked complete Jan 7. I am not sure why but my invite was sent pretty quickly. They didn't really talk about the class size during the interview day. They did tell us that we should expect to hear back within 4-5 weeks. I interviewed 2/7. Sorry I couldn't help more.

CCOM started sending out letters about not granting an interview for Fall 2012...better luck next year!

AHHH NERVOUS WRECK >_<

Same here for me I live 10 min away. During the down time between interviews I remember the admissions director saying something about the class being 2/3 full. They are trying to keep the class size around 203 if I remember correctly but it can vary.
He also said they will interview all the way through march and maybe early April. I hope this helps, I was complete 9/15 and the wait was horrible since this was my only interview this cycle thus far. Hang in there.

To those of you recently accepted congrats! If you wouldn't mind, could you share your stats?

Thanks!