CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you call them for that info? i want this information :(

I second this question :( I know they pulled off the list last Thursday and also the week before (I think that Wednesday?) but haven't heard of anything happening this week. I wish I knew how they chose...

Members don't see this ad.

did you call them for that info? i want this information :(

No - I was a Masters student at Midwestern so I know a lot of people in our situation. Plus I'm a huge SDN lurker :oops: But if you call you never know what extra info you can get outta them!

Has anyone been accepted off the wait list recently? Or does anyone know how many people are still on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call this morning. I'm going to officially withdraw from AZCOM and get the ball rolling at CCOM. I'm excited because now I only live 30 miles from school instead of nearly 2000.

Good luck to the other WLers. I hope to see you in August!

I just got the call this morning. I'm going to officially withdraw from AZCOM and get the ball rolling at CCOM. I'm excited because now I only live 30 miles from school instead of nearly 2000.

Congrats!

I also just got the call yesterday morning. I am so excited to go to CCOM! Please don't lose hope if you are still on the alternate list. Just keep sending as many updates as you can, but spread them out so you don't run out of things to tell them and so they see your continued interest.

I also just got the call yesterday morning. I am so excited to go to CCOM! Please don't lose hope if you are still on the alternate list. Just keep sending as many updates as you can, but spread them out so you don't run out of things to tell them and so they see your continued interest.

Congrats guys - glad to know movement is still happening! Mind if i ask your stats?

Sure thing! 3.7 sci, 3.8 nonsci, 27 mcat (retake). I have a lot of ECs but the most important thing is that I took the year off to work in a research lab full time.

While I was on the waitlist I submitted an updated resume, letter of intent and another letter of reccomendation. Who knows how much all of that helped but I submitted it last week so if it did, that was a pretty quick turnaround!

hope that helps! good luck :xf:

Can I ask what you included in your letter of intent? Just curious. Thanks!

How many people were accepted into the CCOM Class of 2016 that completed their Master of Science program at CCOM this May? Thanks!!

How many people were accepted into the CCOM Class of 2016 that completed their Master of Science program at CCOM this May? Thanks!!

Are you referring to the 2 year masters program, 1 year masters program, or total?

Members don't see this ad :)
The one year program :)

ROUGH estimate: 8 people as of last week. I think maybe 17 interviewed (could have been more) so a little less than half right now. 7 of those people were pulled off the WL.

ROUGH estimate: 8 people as of last week. I think maybe 17 interviewed (could have been more) so a little less than half right now. 7 of those people were pulled off the WL.

Wow, so it really isn't such a seamless transition. Guess it all depends on individual performance dring the masters program, but definitely no gurantees... good to know

Wow, so it really isn't such a seamless transition. Guess it all depends on individual performance dring the masters program, but definitely no gurantees... good to know

Are you going into the masters program this year?

Yes, well not me, my hubby was accepted, in hopes to make it into the DO Class of 2017

It is DEFINITELY not a guaranteed acceptance. I would say if you do well in the program that your chances of getting in are much better for a year AFTER you finish the program, so for CCOM class of 2018. Or maybe consider doing the two year program, because I think almost all of those students got in for the year right after their program.

It is DEFINITELY not a guaranteed acceptance. I would say if you do well in the program that your chances of getting in are much better for a year AFTER you finish the program, so for CCOM class of 2018. Or maybe consider doing the two year program, because I think almost all of those students got in for the year right after their program.

I second this comment!

it is not guaranteed acceptance it is a guaranteed interview.

and the 2 yr program has a much better success rate but it is hard to judge since it is the first year of the one year program.

it is not guaranteed acceptance it is a guaranteed interview.

and the 2 yr program has a much better success rate but it is hard to judge since it is the first year of the one year program.

Well it's only a guaranteed interview if you have above a 3.0 in the program and at least a 25 MCAT

Well it's only a guaranteed interview if you have above a 3.0 in the program and at least a 25 MCAT

Thanks for all your feedback, I appreciate it!

So let's say my hubby starts the one year Masters program at CCOM this August 2012, and he maintains a 3.0 GPA, and his MCAT score was above 25, the earliest he would possibly (if accepted) matriculate into the DO program would be July 2014??

Thanks for all your feedback, I appreciate it!

So let's say my hubby starts the one year Masters program at CCOM this August 2012, and he maintains a 3.0 GPA, and his MCAT score was above 25, the earliest he would possibly (if accepted) matriculate into the DO program would be July 2014??

If he meets the requirements, then he will receive an interview in March of 2013, and it is possible that he could be accepted for the entering class in July 2013. About 7 of the 50 masters students have been accepted for the class of 2016. It is all due to timing. Admissions basically holds the masters students apps until after winter quarter is over in February, which puts the students at the end of the application cycle. If he doesn't get in, he can reapply at the very beginning of the app cycle for the class of 2017 and has a better chance of gettin in because he could interview way earlier in the cycle. Hope this makes sense.

If he meets the requirements, then he will receive an interview in March of 2013, and it is possible that he could be accepted for the entering class in July 2013. About 7 of the 50 masters students have been accepted for the class of 2016. It is all due to timing. Admissions basically holds the masters students apps until after winter quarter is over in February, which puts the students at the end of the application cycle. If he doesn't get in, he can reapply at the very beginning of the app cycle for the class of 2017 and has a better chance of gettin in because he could interview way earlier in the cycle. Hope this makes sense.

Totally!! Thanks so much!! :) I will add, 7 out of 50, ouch....

Totally!! Thanks so much!! :) I will add, 7 out of 50, ouch....

7/50 makes the percentage look worse than it actually is. 50 people in the whole class, but only a third interviewed for CCOM this spring. So almost half of the interviewed got in thus far...

I wonder how many applied though?

I wanna say there were just a few. Because there were a lot of pre-dental students and some pre-PA and some people were waiting until next cycle to apply.

Can someone describe CCOM's teaching approach? Classes are split up in block right? Mostly lecture based? PBL components?

Thats still a good sign right? When is orientation over?

Let's hope it's a good sign :) however I don't think it's healthy to be connected to my phone all day everyday just in case something happens :laugh:

Not until orientation is over. Slowly losing hope :(

actually it is through the first wednesday during the first week of classes.

so you have about a week and a half of holding your breath every time the phone rings.

good news is i heard through unofficial channels that CCOM looks very favorably on reapplicants - although i know no one wants to be in that situation.

:xf: that you all hear something one way or another soon and get put out of your wait list misery

actually it is through the first wednesday during the first week of classes.

so you have about a week and a half of holding your breath every time the phone rings.

good news is i heard through unofficial channels that CCOM looks very favorably on reapplicants - although i know no one wants to be in that situation.

:xf: that you all hear something one way or another soon and get put out of your wait list misery

Thanks! I actually found that out the other day. It made me happy because it gave me more hope, but also nervous because it gives me more time to feel this way :(

Admissions told me i have until the end of the first week of classes, so I was assuming that Friday. So it's that Wednesday for sure then?

Thanks! I actually found that out the other day. It made me happy because it gave me more hope, but also nervous because it gives me more time to feel this way :(

Admissions told me i have until the end of the first week of classes, so I was assuming that Friday. So it's that Wednesday for sure then?

not sure i had heard unofficially in the past it is wednesday but i do not know for sure

can anyone here give me a good cheap place to stay for the interview coming up? Thank you

Ideally, I looking for a hotel that has all three, but I'll be happy with just two

1. Shuttle to and from the airport
2. Free Continental Breakfast
3. Shuttle to and from the school

Thank you so much everyone

can anyone here give me a good cheap place to stay for the interview coming up? Thank you

Ideally, I looking for a hotel that has all three, but I'll be happy with just two

1. Shuttle to and from the airport
2. Free Continental Breakfast
3. Shuttle to and from the school

Thank you so much everyone
I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Downers Grove and it has 2 & 3 and is only $79 when you mention CCOM. For the airport transportation you can either take a train and the hotel will pick you up from the local station or get a taxi (I was told the best price was around $80 bucks for round trip). Hope that helps!

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Downers Grove and it has 2 & 3 and is only $79 when you mention CCOM. For the airport transportation you can either take a train and the hotel will pick you up from the local station or get a taxi (I was told the best price was around $80 bucks for round trip). Hope that helps!

ouch, 80 seems steep! maybe renting a car will definitely be cheaper

Ok, Sent in my secondary. I am 30 yrs old. Had a 3.4 gpa in college. 3.55 in graduate school (M. Div) and a 3.85 post-bac gpa. 32 MCAT (10, 10, 11). M.D. rec (still waiting on my post-bac school to send the packet though). 400+ hours of clinical experiance as a chaplain. but almost no shadowing experiance. Do you think I have got a chance?

p.s. my wife and I live about 10 minutes from Midwestern so if anyone gets an interview and wants some place free to stay we would love to have guests.
Hey I'm not sure if this offer still stands but I have an interview on Nov 27 at CCOM and am trying to figure out a place to stay. Are you still in the area?

hey so, i was looking at CCOM schedule and saw that you don't get a vacation during your 3rd year. Is this correct? Also is the 3 months of family medicine divided into any specific specialty or are they all the same?

Is there a way to check my application status? thanks