CCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed. Long day for a 30 minute interview. Overall not bad. People seemed to really like the school. The new facility is VERY nice. I was most excited to see how technology is being used in the cadaver lab. Hope they accept me. Felt like the interview went fine but not great. Fumbled a little on the 14 y/o asks for birth control question.

Want to elaborate further on your interview? How was the interviewer... personality, attitude, etc.? What other questions did they ask? etc.

If so, thanks!

Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad.

Want to elaborate further on your interview? How was the interviewer... personality, attitude, etc.? What other questions did they ask? etc.

If so, thanks!

Goodluck!

It's an interview panel. Typically 3 people: 1 DO, 1 PhD, 1 MS3/4 Student. However, in two of the three interview groups on Friday the students didn't show up and two of the groups had 2 PhD's. It was pretty formulaic for me: a few questions about my resume, an ethical question (I also had 14 y/o birth control!), and a few general interview questions. This seemed consistant accross the board. My panelists were reading off a list of questions. It was fairly formal; I kept trying to see if they were engaged, but everyone in my group was fairly stoic and kept to the script. I was a little disappointed because none of the interviewers, even the DO, were practicing physicians.

The students at CCOM were unbelievably enthusiastic and it is very clear they love their school a ton. And all the other interviewees were wonderful! A great day overall. :oops:

It's an interview panel. Typically 3 people: 1 DO, 1 PhD, 1 MS3/4 Student. However, in two of the three interview groups on Friday the students didn't show up and two of the groups had 2 PhD's. It was pretty formulaic for me: a few questions about my resume, an ethical question (I also had 14 y/o birth control!), and a few general interview questions. This seemed consistant accross the board. My panelists were reading off a list of questions. It was fairly formal; I kept trying to see if they were engaged, but everyone in my group was fairly stoic and kept to the script. I was a little disappointed because none of the interviewers, even the DO, were practicing physicians.

The students at CCOM were unbelievably enthusiastic and it is very clear they love their school a ton. And all the other interviewees were wonderful! A great day overall. :oops:

I definitely agree with all of this, particularly the part about the stoic interviewers and very enthusiastic students. I was hoping for a more relaxed interview but it did not turn out that way. They seem to really like that 14 y/o birth control ethical question but they threw me a loop with a pot smoking medical school roommate question.

The highlight of the day was getting to talk to the students. The tour guides were great and very informative. We also had a lot of students pop into the room where we waited before and after interviews and they were fun to meet as well. Good luck everybody! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The highlight of the day was getting to talk to the students. The tour guides were great and very informative. We also had a lot of students pop into the room where we waited before and after interviews and they were fun to meet as well. Good luck everybody! :)

we try :)

and i promise the faculty here are really calm and approachable....

we try :)

and i promise the faculty here are really calm and approachable....

Honestly, after today I really don't doubt that at all!

Really gorgeous facilities (that anatomy lab was posh!), friendly students and faculty that are there because they LOVE being there. Can't wait to hear back from CCOM next month! :xf:

Thanks for being our tourguide m2three! :)

I definitely agree with all of this, particularly the part about the stoic interviewers and very enthusiastic students. I was hoping for a more relaxed interview but it did not turn out that way. They seem to really like that 14 y/o birth control ethical question but they threw me a loop with a pot smoking medical school roommate question.

Haha, you guys got the whole panel treatment with the MS1. We had like 8 people there to talk to you guys. Too bad we had classes during that time, if not, we probably would have stayed longer.

Is the curriculum at ccom an evidence-based approach? I know that it's not a systems-based one...

Is the curriculum at ccom an evidence-based approach? I know that it's not a systems-based one...

i would not say strictly speaking that it is evidence based no.
we definitely do not do systems but they do try to keep things relatively together (at lease in second year)

each class has its own method for approaching the material, everything is lecture based with a few problem sessions thrown in for good measure

It's been almost 4 weeks since I submitted my secondary application. Hope this isn't bad news :/ Do you guys think I should call them and check on my status, or just wait it out?

It's been almost 4 weeks since I submitted my secondary application. Hope this isn't bad news :/ Do you guys think I should call them and check on my status, or just wait it out?

wait it out. i waited FOREVER while everyone around me was getting interview invites and it sucked. I eventually got one. It was frustrating but it worked out.

wait it out. i waited FOREVER while everyone around me was getting interview invites and it sucked. I eventually got one. It was frustrating but it worked out.

Same, it's been a few weeks for me and I still haven't heard anything either.

Well that's good to know. I guess I shall wait it out then. Does anyone else check their email every 5 minutes?! lol The waiting process is quite nerve-wrecking.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would not say strictly speaking that it is evidence based no.
we definitely do not do systems but they do try to keep things relatively together (at lease in second year)

each class has its own method for approaching the material, everything is lecture based with a few problem sessions thrown in for good measure

Thanks again!

I was complete July 1st and I STILL haven't heard anything... called the admissions office 8/30 and they said they were still reviewing..... ugh.

Honestly, after today I really don't doubt that at all!

Really gorgeous facilities (that anatomy lab was posh!), friendly students and faculty that are there because they LOVE being there. Can't wait to hear back from CCOM next month! :xf:

Thanks for being our tourguide m2three! :)

you are more than welcome :)

:ninja::ninja::whoa::whoa:
and i am going to go back behind my door now ;)

Thanks for all of the help mommy2three (I sat with you for lunch :) ). I was there on the 19th to interview. I felt it was the way everyone has been describing theirs. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm of the students, the facilities were gorgeous, and I just keep on hearing the best things about the professors. I really hope to receive an acceptance here.

Anyone staying at Stay Inn in Lombard for Sept 26 interview? :)

Thanks for all of the help mommy2three (I sat with you for lunch :) ). I was there on the 19th to interview. I felt it was the way everyone has been describing theirs. I was very impressed with the enthusiasm of the students, the facilities were gorgeous, and I just keep on hearing the best things about the professors. I really hope to receive an acceptance here.

you are more than welcome

being an ambassador is something I honestly love :love:

glad you enjoyed it here

GL :luck:

If anyone is staying at the Holiday Inn tonight and wants to meet up, let me know!

anybody with October 25-28th interview willing to switch to Oct 4th or 21st (they are open now) so I can change from Nov 1?

Last edited:
Just got to the Holiday Inn. If anyone needs a ride to CCOM or a ride to the airport after the interview, let me know

good luck :)

i will say hi to you all tomorrow so i give you about five seconds to figure out who i am :laugh:

Interviewing tomorrow!!!...I am nervous and excited:D:scared: Does anyone know how long the interview is? Do we interview with 3 people fo 30 min?

O'Hare International Airport

If no one else is going to Midway, I might catch a ride with you, if that's okay. :) I'm going back into the city, but I can take the train from O'Hare to where I need to go.

I am going to drive to the interview tomorrow morning..where can I park?I know that the west parking garage is by the littleJohn Hall..Can I park there?

just wondering if anyone brought their luggage to the interview? i read that the school can call a taxi for you. did anyone use this option and was it american taxi? thanks in advance!

just wondering if anyone brought their luggage to the interview? i read that the school can call a taxi for you. did anyone use this option and was it american taxi? thanks in advance!

someone brought their suit and a change of clothes to the interview. you'll be in a study room most of the time and they can hold your stuff for the day.

Out of curiosity, did you guys receive a letter via snail mail after receiving your online secondary, reminding you to submit your secondary?

Ah nevermind, found the answer earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Plan on withdrawing today, opening up a 10/24 interview slot if anyone wants it. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats on the other acceptance- I had a little chuckle when I saw this because I remember reading your posts about how you were getting anxious/irritated because they took so long to offer you an interview..

Has anyone received an interview offer recently?

Last edited:
Had a great experience here yesterday:love::love::love:..the campus and the facilities were very nice. Interview itself was rather conversational..For me it was application specific:)

Is it cheaper to rent a car or to just take taxis? I feel like Im wasting money on rental cars when I just drive them to and from the airport...

Is it cheaper to rent a car or to just take taxis? I feel like Im wasting money on rental cars when I just drive them to and from the airport...

i am not sure...you may be cheaper renting a car (a sub compact) than taxi.

i think there was a gal last week who did one of those zip cars (you can rent for a day from a central station) i am not sure of the cost for that though.

Definitely rent a car! Taxis are expensive, especially if you get stuck in rush-hour traffic

Definitely rent a car! Taxis are expensive, especially if you get stuck in rush-hour traffic

It's a flat rate to O'hare (from Downers Grove), which is between $30 - $40 depending on where the school is located. You can call ahead and reserve a ride. American Taxi and 303 Taxi are the biggest company in the area.

I'm flying in and out of Midway..do they have a flat rate as well? I mean i might as well rent a car since I have 5 hours between the interview and my flight...