CCOM vs. MU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bitternsweetxo2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have to decide by 12/14 whether to send in my deposit for CCOM or MU-COM. Money really isn't a factor here b/c CCOM is close to home and I would be commuting. I am leaning towards CCOM b/c of its reputation, great rotation sites, location, etc. However, MU-COM has great facilities, Indiana is a great place to practice medicine in the future, and it seems like there really should be no complaints about MU-COM, except that it is new and does not have a track record. What do you think?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :) Especially from current students/alumni.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks you have already decided on CCOM. If I had the same situation CCOM all the way, screw MUCOM (the rejected me pre-interview and took my $100-aholes, sorry for the bias).

Doesn't matter where you practice, medicine will be necessary everywhere. Not sure what makes Indiana so special...

From what I have learned from med students, reputations of schools/rotation might matter alot more in the very near future with the merger.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks you have already decided on CCOM. If I had the same situation CCOM all the way, screw MUCOM (the rejected me pre-interview and took my $100-aholes, sorry for the bias).

Doesn't matter where you practice, medicine will be necessary everywhere. Not sure what makes Indiana so special...

From what I have learned from med students, reputations of schools/rotation might matter alot more in the very near future with the merger.

Thank you for your prompt response! I appreciate it. The reason I say Indiana is a great place to practice medicine is because it has/will have a physician shortage in the future and has one of the lowest malpractice insurances in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit surprised that you even are questioning it. I'd go CCOM even if it weren't so convenient for you. Throw that in and it seems like a no-brainer.

CCOM for sure especially if you can live at home! MUCOM is probably great, but I wouldn't take my chances on a new school (unless, perhaps, you were from the city the school is located in or had a particularly good reason to want to move there). You can practice in Indiana after you graduate from CCOM if you wish.

If money is not a concern, then CCOM because it is an established school with great rotation sites in the Chicago area, and they have a great matchlist. MUCOM probably haven't even graduated their first class yet.