Cdn, but a US medical grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahblah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm finding tons of info on being an IMG and visa issues for getting US residencies, but how hard is it to get H1-B or J-1 visas if you are a CDN US med grad? I spoke to a lawyer who said it isn't that bad if you're a Cdn US grad even if you get stuck with the J-1. Is this true? If I want an H1, how should I approach asking programs about their stand on giving these out during interviews? I've already called programs, and came up with some that sponsor H1 visas. Do I not apply to those not offering this visa?

I also read that you should be super competative to get the H1B visa in another thread. Is this true? What if you're an average Cdn US medical grad?
Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you want to go into. If you want to do internal med, then it should not be that bad... if you want to do derm, optho, etc. then it might be that case that you have to be a superstar.

thanks for the reply
what about anesthesia or pm&r?

They're relatively non-competitive at the current time... Shouldn't be that difficult, however I have not looked into those specialties specifically. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about this. As a US grad, you WILL be able to get a residency. May not be where you want to be but you will get one. There are lots and lots of Canadians from Carib schools who get residencies routinely every year, and who also get H1b's.