CE for your practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm wondering if there are CE courses that help you in running/establishing a practice (mainly b/c even though many schools offer practice management..i can't imagine they teach you all you will ever need). I know i'm jumping the gun, but I'm curious. I ask b/c I'm taking the military route for d-school and the one disadvantage that I see is that I wont be getting that "business" experience that's ever so important in dentistry. If anyone knows anything about this that'd be awesome. And no...I do not want to start a "military pro vs con" argument. Just want to know that, while in the military, if there are CE courses offered that help you with business ventures. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically I'm wondering if there are CE courses that help you in running/establishing a practice (mainly b/c even though many schools offer practice management..i can't imagine they teach you all you will ever need). I know i'm jumping the gun, but I'm curious. I ask b/c I'm taking the military route for d-school and the one disadvantage that I see is that I wont be getting that "business" experience that's ever so important in dentistry. If anyone knows anything about this that'd be awesome. And no...I do not want to start a "military pro vs con" argument. Just want to know that, while in the military, if there are CE courses offered that help you with business ventures. Thanks everyone!

There are tons of CE courses on business management and building a business. When you become a dentist, most don't open or buy out a practice right away, so you will have some time. For you, you will have 3-4 years in the military and you will probably have time to take CE courses on business management. The courses happen at the ADA conference, the state conferences, other dental conferences and are offered all throughout the year at hotels and other spots all throughout. Business management CE's usually aren't worth as much (as far as the required yearly CEs), but they are available...you'll get lots of mailers for CE stuff when you're a dentist...I'm sure some of it will be for management stuff.

There are even people who run businesses dedicated to helping new dentists create a business or take over a business or improve an already established business. Don't worry, when you need it...the CE courses and help will be there.