Cebu Doctor's College vs. Cebu Institute of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We've already warned a lot of future med students (especially those coming from overseas). In the Philippines, it's not that hard getting into medical schools even in the so-called competitive schools (as med school applicants are dwindling in numbers). It's surviving that will be tough for some especially those accustomed to a lot of hand-holding. Board performance is the result of better student selection rather than the actual teaching. Just choose carefully, and if you are not prepared, just pick a program that will allow you to have some form of deceleration or slower pace.

Members don't see this ad.

hi!im from iligan.. can anyone help me what to do? i would just like to ask you guys whether the nmat thing has an expiration date? i took the nmat last dec2007 and i am planning to take up med in cebu. pwd po ba gamitin ung nmat results ko? nung dec2007? base po sa mga blogs maganda talaga ang cim..

hi both schools are excellent. IMHO, THEORY - CIM.
theory, work, patient-doctor relationship and facilities- goes to Cebu doc. personally, i would go to cebu doc for the WHOLE package.

you should try going on duty(as senior clerks and interns) with CIM students and you'll know what i mean :laugh: . About the board exam ratings, it depends on the students.

Members don't see this ad :)
CDU-CM;MS3 here.. :)

Forget the things you hear about the glamour that comes along with med school.. (esp at my school..have you been to the new building/campus? :thumbdown:)

but then again, CDUCM>CIM. :love:

hi ,
I'm going to study medicine in philipines I'm not sure which university is best,
I'm looking for a well known and reasonable medical university ,DO you think cebu doctors university is good?Whats its advantages and disadvantages?
could you please guide me?
Thanks

Both schools are PBL and that's a good choice for someone with a strong paramedical background. It's a poor choice if you've never been exposed to anatomy or histology in the past, because nobody will teach you the basics - you will rely only on your classmates for your teacher's job. Some have referred to this phenomenon as the blind leading the blind. On the flip side, if you've got a solid background in the medical sciences, PBL will allow you to have a clinical perspective earlier on. It will also teach you to think independently, vocalize your knowledge, and you will review the material constantly through teaching it to your classmates.

In terms of CIM vs. Cebu Doc, a CIM student who failed with a score of 60% or better can transfer to Cebu Doc, but not vice versa. Also, CIM has lower tuition, and negligible foreigner fees. CIM has (in my opinion) a rather silly way of teaching anatomy - by system rather than region. As a result, by the time you've dissected for the muscular system, you've probably done irreversible damage to the nervous system of the cadaver. See above: If you don't have a solid background in basic medical sciences, PBL will prove frustrating, counterproductive, and you'll often travel far down the wrong road before turning back. Cebu Doc's hospital kicks ass over Velez (the hospital of CIM) - like night and day. Cebu Doc's got more non-fil-am foreign students. Cebu Dollar's (I mean Doctor's) is more expensive.

Bottom line: both have pluses and minuses. Visit the two schools and talk to the students, not just just the administrators. Also visit some traditional schools and compare.

Bumping this thread.

In the fall 2016 physician's licensure examination, CIM at #3 and CDU at #8. Board performance doesn't necessarily matter, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

Another thing to keep in mind ... alumni networks and school reputation. If applying for residency in the US, University of the Philippines and UST have a proven record of infiltrating the US system and thriving, and consequently their networks are strong in the US. So when programs sift through applications, the familiarity and knowledge of the quality of residents the school produces will make them more likely to give you a look. And you'll have a large pool of alumni advisors who would be willing to help you out.

To further my point ... Google "[school name] pgy resident faculty" or any combination of those words, and you'll find you have a ton more hits at US programs for some Filipino schools than others. Board scores can indicate good teaching, USMLE scores matter to make the program cutoffs, but who you know / who's willing to help out is what gets your file moved up the stack when applying for residency.

Trying to trail-blaze a good reputation in the US for your foreign institution is a noble cause, but it's another uphill battle in a series of uphill battles as an IMG. Choose wisely!