Cell Bio or Biochem for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGLoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that both cell bio and biochem are crucial for the new MCAT, but I fear I have time to take only one of them this Fall semester.

In preparation for the MCAT this Spring, which would be better? I searched for their relative importance on the MCAT, but it seems that most of the threads pertain to the old MCAT.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry by far.

Concepts like Kd, Km, etc. are taught in biochem and are crucial for the MCAT.

In addition, Biochem is now a pre-req at many schools.

I would recommend you to take at least a semester of biochem for the MCAT and also a semester of either microbiology or cell bio before you graduate (I recommend microbiology. There is a lot of overlap between cell bio and microbio in some areas, and micro would help you more for medical school).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks!

So is cell bio even necessary for the MCAT? Or merely helpful?

Both are necessary but Biochem yield >>>> Cell Bio

Reactions: 1 users
Biochem for sure. Cell bio I would say you could easily study on your own (downstream actions of G protein receptors is a good one to know)

Not relevant, but I just wanna ask if anatomy is one of the requirements too? Thanks.

*I mean is anatomy a pre-req for med?

Last edited:
Not relevant, but I just wanna ask if anatomy is one of the requirements too? Thanks.

*I mean is anatomy a pre-req for med?
No, it is not a requirement. And some med schools, UCLA for example, actually suggest you do NOT take it.

"Courses overlapping in subject matter (e.g. human anatomy) with those in the school of medicine are not recommended. However, basic or advanced course in biological science (e.g. cellular physiology) are desirable."
http://medschool.ucla.edu/apply-prerequisites

Reactions: 1 user
the "cell biology" covered in general biology is enough in terms of information

even your biochemistry course will go way more in depth than the MCAT tests on

take biochem