Cerego - Anki on steroids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamsEph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a new, free website that seems to be a more refined, easier to use version of anki. The site is called Cerego (cerego.com). Elsevier struck a deal to use this company's technology. There's also an iOS app for the site. Users have already uploaded quite a few USMLE Step 1 related sets. Here is a youtube video about the site:

Members don't see this ad.

About the Elsevier Partnership: I'm skeptical, probably like most others, not so much of the theory behind it which I personally think works, but of their ability to generate useful, all thriller no filler content that is worthwhile to train on. No matter how fancy they make it look, garbage in garbage out.

A well written syllabus or clear, concise text (all too rare) + no frills Anki is about the most IMO you can benefit from spaced repetition. I also think that making the cards and thinking critically about what exactly is important and testable is half the benefit, as it turns all reading into active reading. Plus the key conceptual frameworks that you need to build in your head in order to have a place to put and retain all the minutiae are not made with "spaced rehersal" but with old school, painful, frustrating, ass-in-chair time till it finally clicks.

But if they have really solid content and don't oversell its utility by trying to make it into something it isn't, I do think it could be a great thing for medical education; students will try it, and if it actually works, schools will follow. If only because almost anything would be an improvement on the way they try to do things now.

Last edited:
just tried it. It's really not a more refined version of anki. It's a less powerful web app that shows you cards back and forth, then times you while you do auto-generated multiple choice quizzes where the question is one side of a card and the distractor answers include 'none of the above' and a random set of the other cards in the set. It's not correct to say that users have uploaded quite a number of decks. It's one user named Donald Williams that uploaded a bunch of decks. It still pales in comparison to the amount of Anki decks floating out there that are higher quality. waste of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, the best part about anki is that I make my own cards. I have a little over 700 in my personal step 1 deck right now, and I add in 10-20 a day. Now, it is certainly not comprehensive for step 1 in any sort of way and I wouldn't recommend anyone else use my deck. There are broad topics that I feel confident on, or that I don't feel are appropriate for flash card type learning, that I don't have to review on flash cards. So, basically, 700 and counting may not seem like a lot compared to the 6000 card FA deck, but it's 700 facts I didn't know before I started doing questions.

It's a more advanced version of Anki in that the algorithm is more advanced, i.e., it does not rely on the user's judgment for mastery of the fact instead it uses numerous variables such as time it took to answer the fact, whether it was answered right or wrong, and more to judge whether one knows the fact or not. I like the simplicity and ease of use of the interface compared to Anki, especially considering the Anki interface on Mac OS X is rather cumbersome to use.

Anyways, here are my flashcards that I've made going through various high yield sources (world, pathoma, fa); I constantly add facts to this: https://cerego.com/sets/730395