Certification of ID and Authorization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robotsonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty basic question. To complete my step 2 application, I need the certification of id and authorization form (the one where you attach the photo and get your school to stamp it). It says on the form that it will be used for a test I take in the next five years. I remember sending this form in last year for step 1. Does this mean that I don't have to send the form in again? Or do I need to do one for each step I take? I tried to find this info on the NBME site but couldn't.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to send in a new cert/ID form. I had this same question and had to call them to get the answer. They told me the form changed 12/31/04. If your form for Step 1 was submitted before that, the form was actually slightly different and so it needs to be resubmitted. Those who are submitting forms for Step 1 after 12/31/04 will not have to submit a new form for Step 2 if they take Step 2 within 5 years.

Thanks for the info!
Why don't they just say that on their web site? What a pain.