cervical facet joint injections for cervical radiculitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted79235

I have attached two recent articles reviewing the effectiveness of cervical facet joint injections for treating cervical radiculitis. Interesting technique with reasonable contrast flow in both studies.

Anyone else using these techniques?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• facetvsforamen.pdf
    633.4 KB · Views: 109
  • cervicalfacetinj.pdf
    243 KB · Views: 92
Haven't done it. Seems like it could work though. It seems a lot easier to do paramedian C7/T1 IL ESI and use appropriate volume to get to the level you want. I'd like to see a head to head, between that (paramedian C7/T1 IL ESI) and the technique you're describing (intraarticular facet inj for cervical radic).

"The exact mechanism of the apparent beneficial effect of IFSI for the treatment of cervical radiculopathy remains uncertain and unclear."

"The exact mechanism of the apparent beneficial effect of IFSI for the treatment of cervical radiculopathy remains uncertain and unclear."

It does not remain unclear. It remains inexplicable. Stupid study (the first one). Included 4 WC patients in the IA group. Also used spondylosis and disk herniation as criteria. Should have excluded all patients without concordant disk herniation or compressive pathology. Should exclude all patients without an objective deficit and sensory alteration don't count for ****.

The second article proves IA facets leak into the epidural space making them nondiagnostic but potentially therapeutic. I'm sure folks bill for the TFESI and IA facet injection together.