cGPA 2.93, sGPA 2.32, MCAT 29Q Yes, seriously

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1012526fs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what you're thinking about those stats, but please let me elaborate...

First bacc: Bio major, Chem minor, really bad GPA around 2.6, long story and just a bad time; all I wanted to do was graduate, and that's what I did, in 2004

Second bacc: Got my life back on track; retook a bunch of science prereqs with all A's and magically got accepted to a PA program; BS cGPA 3.70, sGPA 3.84, in 2008

Masters: also in PA studies; GPA 3.77 in 2009; been practicing for 3 yrs now and still wanting to go to med school.

Any real hope for me with those stats? Of course, I will be retaking the MCAT in the spring, if I don't get in this cycle, and I am definitely hoping to reasonably pick up a few more points on that.
I am hoping someone sees some redemption in my work since my first undergrad. Unfortunately, that can never be erased.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think there is hope. You'll need to figure out your cGPA with UG and PA combined, and make sure you dont' get autoscreened out. Do some research into what schools will be most friendly to you.

First bacc: Bio major, Chem minor, really bad GPA around 2.6, long story and just a bad time; all I wanted to do was graduate, and that's what I did, in 2004

Second bacc: Got my life back on track; retook a bunch of science prereqs with all A's and magically got accepted to a PA program; BS cGPA 3.70, sGPA 3.84, in 2008

Masters: also in PA studies; GPA 3.77 in 2009; been practicing for 3 yrs now and still wanting to go to med school.

Any real hope for me with those stats? Of course, I will be retaking the MCAT in the spring, if I don't get in this cycle, and I am definitely hoping to reasonably pick up a few more points on that.
I am hoping someone sees some redemption in my work since my first undergrad. Unfortunately, that can never be erased.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck man. I applaud your persistance and passion.

If I was an adcom at a school that doesn't need a high MCAT I'd think you were great. I was talking with my dad the other day and asked what he would look for when hiring engineers. A big part of it was "someone who will get the job done and has proven dedication". You've definitely shown you will stick with a project and I think some adcoms will really like that.

Maybe I'm being optimistic about this process but I think if you can get to know a few admissions people so that you are not just a name and numbers you should be desirable. I actually really want to see how this pans out because I think it tests the man vs machine admissions process.

If I was an adcom at a school that doesn't need a high MCAT I'd think you were great. I was talking with my dad the other day and asked what he would look for when hiring engineers. A big part of it was "someone who will get the job done and has proven dedication". You've definitely shown you will stick with a project and I think some adcoms will really like that.

Maybe I'm being optimistic about this process but I think if you can get to know a few admissions people so that you are not just a name and numbers you should be desirable. I actually really want to see how this pans out because I think it tests the man vs machine admissions process.

Believe me, I'm hoping those adcoms will see past the numbers too and maybe get an ii. Thanks for the encouragement. I will just keep hoping and apply to many more schools next year as well, if I need to.

Sometimes we do, but that's after the interview step. You gotta get that interview in the first place, and with all of the stellar applicants, it's hard to pick the right ones. But we always keep in mind "can this person make it through our curriculum" because no matter how nice your are, or whether you'll be a great doctor, you still have to make it through medical school, boards and rotations.

Believe me, I'm hoping those adcoms will see past the numbers too and maybe get an ii. Thanks for the encouragement. I will just keep hoping and apply to many more schools next year as well, if I need to.

I can definitely see it happening. I would suggest calling LECOM and getting in contact with someone there. When they understand your case, I think they will want to help you.

Don't give up.

Thanks for all the support out there. I appreciate it. I actually didn't apply to any DO schools this year, and I did have my heart set on a specific MD school this year. But I'm definitely open to pursuing my goal of becoming a physician however I am able to make it. Next year, I'll be applying pretty broadly to both MD and DO schools. Just hoping, by chance, there doesn't have to be a next year. :)

Just wanted to update my own thread due to my overwhelming excitement and amazement... I am sitting on 1 DO acceptance and 1 MD acceptance as well as a couple of other MD II's that I plan to withdraw from. :luck:

Thank goodness for adcoms that were willing to meet with me, talk to me about my application, and encourage me to apply. Interviewing seemed to be the easy part. Good luck to everyone out there on their own journey towards med school!

Reactions: 1 user
This is pretty awesome! Congrats. I have a long path and I really enjoyed reading a great motivating story. Congrats.

Reactions: 1 user