cGPA 3.0 / sGPA 3.2 - Best route from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhua

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at the following on my application:

B.S. Biological Sciences
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.2

Final 3 Semesters: 171 QP/45 Hours = 3.8 GPA (Somewhat of a positive trend)

Haven't taken the MCAT, but based on several practice MCAT scores (Mid-30's) I'm hoping to score anywhere from a 30-33 on the MCAT after more intensive studying. Looking to land my LizzyM around the 60 mark.

EC's include the following:

-200+ Volunteer Hours at local Medical Centers
-2 Years working as a Clinical Research Assistant at a local lab
-Eagle Scout
-Membership in several clubs (No officer positions)

For MD, I know it's a long shot; statistically speaking, if I score 33+ (Which I'm not banking on) I'm only looking at around ~25-35% acceptance rates.

For DO, the chance of me getting accepted to a low-mid tier DO program is much higher than any allopathic school, but considering I'm not URM my application is still mediocre at best.

What should I do from here? At this point I was thinking about testing the waters and applying to some low tier MD/DO schools and see if I get lucky, but I'll most likely have to resort to a back-up plan.

Would maintaining a high GPA (3.7+) during an M.S. in a science related field balance out my low undergraduate GPA? And coupled with a 30+ MCAT and more EC's, how much would it increase my chances into getting an acceptance letter from a Med School?

Or would I qualify for an SMP which would funnel me into a med school given I perform well. Would a 3.0 cGPA/3.2 sGPA/30+ MCAT land me into an SMP program?

Or if you guys have any other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. Looking to travel down the M.D. route still, and I know my chances are slim, but any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You could waste your time and money with an SMP (60k+ and a year of your life), or you can do retakes and get that cGPA to a 3.25+ (if you do it of pure science your sGPA goes up), save up on debt, and become an equally licensed, equally reimbursed D.O. physician. Your choice.

Hey guys, I'm looking at the following on my application:

B.S. Biological Sciences
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.2

Final 3 Semesters: 171 QP/45 Hours = 3.8 GPA (Somewhat of a positive trend)

Haven't taken the MCAT, but based on several practice MCAT scores (Mid-30's) I'm hoping to score anywhere from a 30-33 on the MCAT after more intensive studying. Looking to land my LizzyM around the 60 mark.

EC's include the following:

-200+ Volunteer Hours at local Medical Centers
-2 Years working as a Clinical Research Assistant at a local lab
-Eagle Scout
-Membership in several clubs (No officer positions)

For MD, I know it's a long shot; statistically speaking, if I score 33+ (Which I'm not banking on) I'm only looking at around ~25-35% acceptance rates.

For DO, the chance of me getting accepted to a low-mid tier DO program is much higher than any allopathic school, but considering I'm not URM my application is still mediocre at best.

What should I do from here? At this point I was thinking about testing the waters and applying to some low tier MD/DO schools and see if I get lucky, but I'll most likely have to resort to a back-up plan.

Would maintaining a high GPA (3.7+) during an M.S. in a science related field balance out my low undergraduate GPA? And coupled with a 30+ MCAT and more EC's, how much would it increase my chances into getting an acceptance letter from a Med School?

Or would I qualify for an SMP which would funnel me into a med school given I perform well. Would a 3.0 cGPA/3.2 sGPA/30+ MCAT land me into an SMP program?

Or if you guys have any other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. Looking to travel down the M.D. route still, and I know my chances are slim, but any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :thumbup:
Considering you have an upward grade trend, and assuming that includes upper-level Bio, you are a viable candidate for an SMP. Here is a list of programs with links: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

Members don't see this ad :)
You could waste your time and money with an SMP (60k+ and a year of your life), or you can do retakes and get that cGPA to a 3.25+ (if you do it of pure science your sGPA goes up), save up on debt, and become an equally licensed, equally reimbursed D.O. physician. Your choice.

agree, not to mention there are some cheap DO smps now (in case you were unable to still get into do school for some reason) that guarantee you entrance into their school i.e leecom smp. I think its only like 12k too? Which isnt really that bad considering others are more then double that

Afraid I'm not eligible for any re-takes, lot of C's my freshmen/sophomore year. It was completely my fault and I'll own up to it, and looking back there was really no reason why I was cruising with a ~2.5 GPA in introductory science courses/GE's if I'm able to maintain a 3.8 in upper level sGPA classes today. I would be elated if I received an acceptance letter from a DO program, however even with a solid MCAT score of 30+ I'm still at a disadvantage due to my sub-par GPA and mediocre EC's.

Considering you have an upward grade trend, and assuming that includes upper-level Bio, you are a viable candidate for an SMP. Here is a list of programs with links: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=640302

Thanks Catalystik. Classes which I landed A's in are Organic Chemistry I & II, Physics II, Physics II Lab, Cell Biology, Genetics, Genetics Lab, Neuroscience, General Ecology Lab & Vertebrate Embryology Lab. Finished Physics I with an 87 and Ecology & Evolution with an 88, and ended up with B's in both of those classes. Organic Chemistry Lab was a killer for me, and I ended up with a C, hoping that won't look too bad since it was only 1 credit hour :xf:

What else should I work on to better my chances of landing in an SMP program? And what MCAT range should I be shooting for?

agree, not to mention there are some cheap DO smps now (in case you were unable to still get into do school for some reason) that guarantee you entrance into their school i.e leecom smp. I think its only like 12k too? Which isnt really that bad considering others are more then double that

Albeit a tad optimistic, I would prefer a SMP that would funnel me into an MD program should I maintain good standings, and I was hoping that a strong MCAT (30+) would turn some heads after I submitted my application.

I haven't really looked into DO SMP's sans PCOM/VCOM/LECOM, but those programs seem quite promising as well, definitely gotta dig a little deeper and weigh my options at this point.

What else should I work on to better my chances of landing in an SMP program? And what MCAT range should I be shooting for?
A 30+ MCAT score would satisfy most program's entry requirments, and while there are some that take one that's lower, the chances of getting into an MD program with the lower score definitely decrease. Your chances would be much better with a 32+.

Keep in mind that to make an expensive SMP worth the high price tag, you'll aim to get (ideally) a 3.7+.

SMPs aren't my forte, but I'm thinking that Now is the time to be applying to them, and possibly some deadlines have passed already, so do your research fast. You might look into this further in SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum. When did you plan to take the MCAT?

Afraid I'm not eligible for any re-takes, lot of C's my freshmen/sophomore year. It was completely my fault and I'll own up to it, and looking back there was really no reason why I was cruising with a ~2.5 GPA in introductory science courses/GE's if I'm able to maintain a 3.8 in upper level sGPA classes today. I would be elated if I received an acceptance letter from a DO program, however even with a solid MCAT score of 30+ I'm still at a disadvantage due to my sub-par GPA and mediocre EC's.
Just do them at a community college. With the upward trend in upper level bio and a 30, it won't be questionable for you to retake the courses at a CC. Your problem is not ability but rather keeping schools happy having their high averages.