cGPA 3.1/sGPA 3.2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First timer here. I would like to get some input for my chances for MD schools.

Non-traditional student (33 yrs.) with a BSN degree; I work as a RN on a cardiac unit, so have plenty of clinical experience. My low GPA is due to low grades my first go at college in early 2000s, which is explainable, but still looks bad, I know. I went back to school after a 5 year break, got my nursing degree and graduated at the top of my class. So the picture I'm trying to paint is that my grades have skyrocketed after the earlier mistakes. PbGPA is 3.5. I haven't taken OChemII yet or MCAT, but I'm assuming I will need 30+.

EC's are good/great: have plenty of awards, volunteer experiences, tutoring, TA, class president, etc.
I also did one semester of research at Vanderbilt University alongside the chief of their cardiovascular research department.
I won't have time to up my GPA prior to applying (shooting for this June), but will be able to take classes in Summer, Fall if necessary to increase the GPA more.
Any advice is welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

The research and clinical experience will be helpful, but to be honest, the post bacc was your opportunity to pull up your GPA and a 3.5 post bacc GPA is mediocre. With your current cumulative GPA and science GPA, I think you will be hard pressed to be admitted to an allopathic medical school without additional coursework. Your GPA is also a bit low for osteopathic medical schools, but if you retook courses, they would exclude the first grade so your GPA for DO schools could be higher.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA's are just still too low for MD. In my opinion, to have a realistic shot at MD you'd need at least a 3.3-3.4 and 32+ on MCAT. I highly encourage you to look into DO for the reasons knv2u mentioned. If you're set on MD, then take more classes to raise the GPA and rock the MCAT. Either way, I still think you should apply to some DO schools. Lastly, you didn't mention it, but I hope you have some shadowing. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! First timer here. I would like to get some input for my chances for MD schools.

Non-traditional student (33 yrs.) with a BSN degree; I work as a RN on a cardiac unit, so have plenty of clinical experience. My low GPA is due to low grades my first go at college in early 2000s, which is explainable, but still looks bad, I know. I went back to school after a 5 year break, got my nursing degree and graduated at the top of my class. So the picture I'm trying to paint is that my grades have skyrocketed after the earlier mistakes. PbGPA is 3.5. I haven't taken OChemII yet or MCAT, but I'm assuming I will need 30+.

EC's are good/great: have plenty of awards, volunteer experiences, tutoring, TA, class president, etc.
I also did one semester of research at Vanderbilt University alongside the chief of their cardiovascular research department.
I won't have time to up my GPA prior to applying (shooting for this June), but will be able to take classes in Summer, Fall if necessary to increase the GPA more.
Any advice is welcomed!
If only MD will do, then you need additional academic work in the 3.7+ range to put adcomm minds at ease regarding your capability. Completing an 1-year SMP would be a fast way to do this. An MCAT of 34+ would be nice to see as well. Unfortunately, acquiring all these assets still doesn't guarantee an MD acceptance.

Concur with my colleague here, and the other posters that your best bet will be to go the DO path. Your numbers as they are are fine for any DO program, so rock the MCAT!

If only MD will do, then you need additional academic work in the 3.7+ range to put adcomm minds at ease regarding your capability. Completing an 1-year SMP would be a fast way to do this. An MCAT of 34+ would be nice to see as well. Unfortunately, acquiring all these assets still doesn't guarantee an MD acceptance.

Thank you everyone...great advice! I will do more research on DO schools. My sGPA jumps to 3.5 with them.