cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 2.6 Grad GPA: 3.8 Post-bac: 4.0 MCAT: 519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enginerd2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I majored in systems engineering in undergrad but took most of the pre-reqs for medical school just because I always thought about applying to medical school (bad decision). I went through really tough time my sophomore year when my dad was in the hospital on life support for 5 months. I don't want this to sound like a typical "pity me thread." It happened, and I should have withdrawn from my coursework because I didn't do my homework, literally showed up for the exams and went back to the hospital. Of course I took the majority of my pre-reqs during this time (Biochem, Genetics, Ochem I and II) as well as a couple math courses (Linear Algebra, Applied Engineering Statistics, Diff. EQ) and got C's in all of them. Naturally, I dismissed any chance to apply to medical school, which was probably a good thing because I couldn't have answered, why medicine?

Fast forward to now. I graduated in 2013 with my undergrad degree and am working as a software engineer. I am currently am working on my Master's in Systems Engineering, and without getting into a really long story about reigniting a drive to help people in the medical field, I and am retaking my pre-reqs while I'm working full time (luckily my company has a flexible work schedule). I've matured a lot and my time management skills have increased exponentially (working full time + grad school + post bac classes + volunteering = tired me).

Summary: did bad in undergrad due to lack of maturity/family situation, graduated, working and trying to retake classes (DIY), grad school, volunteering

State of Residence: OK

uGPA: (3.2 undergrad ) 3.35 with Post-bac added in
sGPA: (2.6 undergrad) 3.10 with Post-bac added in
-Trend looks like a big U.

Systems Eng. Masters, grad GPA: 3.8 (made one pesky B…)

DIY Post-bac: 4.0 (Ochem 1/2, Biochem, Genetics…)

MCAT: 519

ECs
Clinical volunteer:
-working in a hospital ED (70 hours, will continue)
Non-Clinical:
-Dean’s Leadership Council Tutor: 800 hours
-Dean’s Leadership Council TA: 3 years
-Freshman Mentor: 3 years
Shadowing:
-50 hours (mostly surgical)
Research:
-6 months in undergrad (bioengineering) = no pub
-10 week grad. Independent study + master’s thesis
----One pub, second author
---- Potentially two more as 2nd/3rd author

Employment history: too many hours to list
-Worked 30+ hours a week while in undergrad
----Lifeguard
----Study hall monitor
----Tutor
----Intern experiences
-Working full time as a systems engineer
Other:
-Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
-Intern for 1 year at an incubator
-Two provisional patents

Chances for schools? I’m going to still take classes until I get in somewhere but will schools look past my (sGPA: 2.6) from undergrad?

Even with DO replacement, my sGPA is like a 3.4. I really don’t want to retake the math classes if I can avoid it (Calc 1: A, Calc 2: A, Calc 3: B, Calc 4: C, Diff EQ: C, Linear Algebra: B).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can add more post bacc classes and ace them it will really help your cause. Even if it doesn't change your numerical gpa that much it's about establishing a trend of consistent success. I'm not sure 4 classes even if they are important pre reqs is enough to do that

As is with a 3.35/3.1 and 37 you do have a chance. How much to say is rather hard for discordant stay applicants but if you can't take any more post bac classes it's definitely worth applying and seeing how it goes. Your state of residence is important here. I would strongly recommend boosting the clinical exposure and clinical volunteering. You'll be fine for DOs

If you can add more post bacc classes and ace them it will really help your cause. Even if it doesn't change your numerical gpa that much it's about establishing a trend of consistent success. I'm not sure 4 classes even if they are important pre reqs is enough to do that

As is with a 3.35/3.1 and 37 you do have a chance. How much to say is rather hard for discordant stay applicants but if you can't take any more post bac classes it's definitely worth applying and seeing how it goes. Your state of residence is important here. I would strongly recommend boosting the clinical exposure and clinical volunteering. You'll be fine for DOs

Sounds like what I expected to hear. I'm looking into taking some upper division bio classes next semester or in the summer/fall. Gotta get past my thesis defense first. What do you suggest to boost my clinical exposure/volunteering? I currently volunteer about 3 hours a week and could realistically up that to around 6-8 but most of my time goes straight to working/grad school/post-bacc classes. I have to use Saturday as a day off or I'll go insane. Thanks for your insights!

My current plan is to just apply to my state school in the upcoming cycle and see how it goes. I'm okay with waiting another year to apply other places. I just want to strengthen my application and try to fill the many holes in it. I also have no idea where to apply for obvious reasons lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like what I expected to hear. I'm looking into taking some upper division bio classes next semester or in the summer/fall. Gotta get past my thesis defense first. What do you suggest to boost my clinical exposure/volunteering? I currently volunteer about 3 hours a week and could realistically up that to around 6-8 but most of my time goes straight to working/grad school/post-bacc classes. I have to use Saturday as a day off or I'll go insane. Thanks for your insights!

My current plan is to just apply to my state school in the upcoming cycle and see how it goes. I'm okay with waiting another year to apply other places. I just want to strengthen my application and try to fill the many holes in it. I also have no idea where to apply for obvious reasons lol.

If you are applying next cycle taking classes in the summer/fall of 2016 isn't going to help you. It wouldn't hurt to take a number of upper level science courses in the spring. Now instead of 12 credits of post-bacc work if you take another 4 classes or so and ace them, you'll have 24 credits and 8 science classes worth of A's including several key pre-reqs. That would help your case for sure.

For clinical exposure/volunteering just keep doing the hospital volunteering. Doing service with those less fortunate and that like will help you a lot also; think volunteering with the disabled or the homeless as an example.

I'll also throw out there I get you have to have a real life and a real job completely. But in terms of what will get you into medical school improving your grades and volunteering experience>>>>>>>work experience and a masters in non medical related fields in terms of importance for med school admission. Like I said I totally get the need to work full time, make ends meet etc. And I'm not saying drop those other commitments. I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought. Do with it, or don't do anything with it, as you may.

I don't recommend planning on just applying to a state school and then preparing to re-apply. Apply once when you are at your best. Don't make yourself a re-applicant and don't put yourself through this process twice. If you find you want to wait until cycle of 2017-18 to apply and have several semesters of DIY post-bacc in the bag and to increase your GPA even more, that would be a very solid plan if you choose it.

As for schools, invest in MSAR. It's always hard to recommend schools for those with discordant stats but obviously start with your state programs. Identify schools 10th percentile GPA's and how far away you are from them. A couple schools to maybe get you started with: Jefferson, Dartmouth, Hofstra, Va Tech, Cincinnati, Boston U, Tufts.

If you are applying next cycle taking classes in the summer/fall of 2016 isn't going to help you. It wouldn't hurt to take a number of upper level science courses in the spring. Now instead of 12 credits of post-bacc work if you take another 4 classes or so and ace them, you'll have 24 credits and 8 science classes worth of A's including several key pre-reqs. That would help your case for sure.

For clinical exposure/volunteering just keep doing the hospital volunteering. Doing service with those less fortunate and that like will help you a lot also; think volunteering with the disabled or the homeless as an example.

I'll also throw out there I get you have to have a real life and a real job completely. But in terms of what will get you into medical school improving your grades and volunteering experience>>>>>>>work experience and a masters in non medical related fields in terms of importance for med school admission. Like I said I totally get the need to work full time, make ends meet etc. And I'm not saying drop those other commitments. I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought. Do with it, or don't do anything with it, as you may.

I don't recommend planning on just applying to a state school and then preparing to re-apply. Apply once when you are at your best. Don't make yourself a re-applicant and don't put yourself through this process twice. If you find you want to wait until cycle of 2017-18 to apply and have several semesters of DIY post-bacc in the bag and to increase your GPA even more, that would be a very solid plan if you choose it.

As for schools, invest in MSAR. It's always hard to recommend schools for those with discordant stats but obviously start with your state programs. Identify schools 10th percentile GPA's and how far away you are from them. A couple schools to maybe get you started with: Jefferson, Dartmouth, Hofstra, Va Tech, Cincinnati, Boston U, Tufts.

Ah, if only it were that easy. I have to take three grad courses in the spring to graduate in May. I was planning on taking one upper division bio with the hopes of increasing the amount to two or three in the subsequent summer/fall, sorry for being unclear. I really do enjoy my graduate work but I am looking forward to finishing the degree off and dusting off my hand with it for sure. But I see your point. I know that I need to start thinking about my long term goals with regards to working full time and whether or not it helps me reach medical school. As per my situation, I'll have to keep working for my company for at least a year (since they are paying for my grad school). At least I will be able to save some money though, engineering is not a bad field to work in.

So applying to just one school is a bad idea? Honestly, I didn't see it as being that stressful if I go into thinking that I probably wont get it the first try. Is there some sort of stigma attached with reapplying? Realistically I know that my best chance is probably two cycles from now when I have a legitimate track record of success under my belt and I'll probably end up waiting until my application is much stronger. I have seen other adcoms mention schools that reward reinvention so hopefully they can chime in!

I really do appreciate all the advice though!

Ah, if only it were that easy. I have to take three grad courses in the spring to graduate in May. I was planning on taking one upper division bio with the hopes of increasing the amount to two or three in the subsequent summer/fall, sorry for being unclear. I really do enjoy my graduate work but I am looking forward to finishing the degree off and dusting off my hand with it for sure. But I see your point. I know that I need to start thinking about my long term goals with regards to working full time and whether or not it helps me reach medical school. As per my situation, I'll have to keep working for my company for at least a year (since they are paying for my grad school). At least I will be able to save some money though, engineering is not a bad field to work in.

So applying to just one school is a bad idea? Honestly, I didn't see it as being that stressful if I go into thinking that I probably wont get it the first try. Is there some sort of stigma attached with reapplying? Realistically I know that my best chance is probably two cycles from now when I have a legitimate track record of success under my belt and I'll probably end up waiting until my application is much stronger. I have seen other adcoms mention schools that reward reinvention so hopefully they can chime in!

I really do appreciate all the advice though!

You sound like someone who would be a lot better off just waiting until the summer of 2017 to apply

It's a good idea to take more upper level science courses(hint more than 1 or 2) and no I just don't think there's any point in applying to one school. a) the odds at one school will never be that high b) yes a number of schools there is a level of stigma you could say against re-applicants. Just do it once when you are at your best. The alternative is honestly you could even apply this cycle still to DO programs and have a good chance of finding an acceptance somewhere, nonetheless next cycle. But if MD is the goal, I think waiting until 2017, racking up as many science courses to boosts the GPA and prove an upward trend, is the way to go.

What state are you a resident of

Last edited:
I concur. And there are MD schools that do reward reinvention.

You sound like someone who would be a lot better off just waiting until the summer of 2017 to apply

It's a good idea to take more upper level science courses(hint more than 1 or 2) and no I just don't think there's any point in applying to one school. a) the odds at one school will never be that high b) yes a number of schools there is a level of stigma you could say against re-applicants. Just do it once when you are at your best. The alternative is honestly you could even apply this cycle still to DO programs and have a good chance of finding an acceptance somewhere, nonetheless next cycle. But if MD is the goal, I think waiting until 2017, racking up as many science courses to boosts the GPA and prove an upward trend, is the way to go.

I think you're right. I could see myself going the DO route! I was planning on applying to both MD and DO in the summer of '17 anyways. I'm a resident of Oklahoma and would love to go to OU for med school if I had the opportunity. Just to stay close to my family.

UTx SA (IF you have tons of clinical hours)
BU
Tufts
Albany
Drexel
NYMC
GWU
Case
Duke
UCSF
Vandy
Dartmouth
U Miami
Columbia
Your state schools

Thanks! I appreciate the input!

I concur. And there are MD schools that do reward reinvention.

Does state of residence matter? Oklahoma though.

Does it matter what job I've had after undergrad? Just curious if it matters. My systems engineering job is quite unique and I work for a well known military aircraft company on a super cool/unique plane. I'll end up being a little non-trad by the time I apply. Eh, probably not but just curious.

Does state of residence matter? Oklahoma though.

Does it matter what job I've had after undergrad? Just curious if it matters. My systems engineering job is quite unique and I work for a well known military aircraft company on a super cool/unique plane. I'll end up being a little non-trad by the time I apply. Eh, probably not but just curious.

An engineering job isn't going to really help you for Ned achool admission

About 38% of Oklahoma applicants will end up matriculating IS. That's a very high number which is good news for you. Now your GPA is low for OU and you only have one state school but you definitely have a chance there

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro

When did you add UTHSCSA to your list of reinvention? It is definitely a good call!

Reactions: 1 users
When an out-of-stater with tons of clinical hours and reinvention got a II from them.

I have seen them take folks with a high MCAT low gpa dissonance too.

Definitely. I am a prime example of low GPA/high MCAT/ lots of clinical work applicant - and they accepted me!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely aim for U OK

An engineering job isn't going to really help you for Ned achool admission

About 38% of Oklahoma applicants will end up matriculating IS. That's a very high number which is good news for you. Now your GPA is low for OU and you only have one state school but you definitely have a chance there

Will do! Thanks for all the help! I know my stats are super awkward looking but I appreciate your opinions!

Does it change anything if I am part native American? I mean, I'm like an 1/8 or a 1/16. Just found out about it due to my family doing some cool genealogy projects.

Edit: I don't have a roll number. @Goro @GrapesofRath

Last edited:
How do medical schools view native americans? based on roll numbers? or based on being recognized by the government?

I am confused.

Last edited:
I majored in systems engineering in undergrad but took most of the pre-reqs for medical school just because I always thought about applying to medical school (bad decision). I went through really tough time my sophomore year when my dad was in the hospital on life support for 5 months. I don't want this to sound like a typical "pity me thread." It happened, and I should have withdrawn from my coursework because I didn't do my homework, literally showed up for the exams and went back to the hospital. Of course I took the majority of my pre-reqs during this time (Biochem, Genetics, Ochem I and II) as well as a couple math courses (Linear Algebra, Applied Engineering Statistics, Diff. EQ) and got C's in all of them. Naturally, I dismissed any chance to apply to medical school, which was probably a good thing because I couldn't have answered, why medicine?

Fast forward to now. I graduated in 2013 with my undergrad degree and am working as a software engineer. I am currently am working on my Master's in Systems Engineering, and without getting into a really long story about reigniting a drive to help people in the medical field, I and am retaking my pre-reqs while I'm working full time (luckily my company has a flexible work schedule). I've matured a lot and my time management skills have increased exponentially (working full time + grad school + post bac classes + volunteering = tired me).

Summary: did bad in undergrad due to lack of maturity/family situation, graduated, working and trying to retake classes (DIY), grad school, volunteering

State of Residence: OK

uGPA: (3.2 undergrad ) 3.35 with Post-bac added in
sGPA: (2.6 undergrad) 3.10 with Post-bac added in
-Trend looks like a big U.

Systems Eng. Masters, grad GPA: 3.8 (made one pesky B…)

DIY Post-bac: 4.0 (Ochem 1/2, Biochem, Genetics…)

MCAT: 519

ECs
Clinical volunteer:
-working in a hospital ED (70 hours, will continue)
Non-Clinical:
-Dean’s Leadership Council Tutor: 800 hours
-Dean’s Leadership Council TA: 3 years
-Freshman Mentor: 3 years
Shadowing:
-50 hours (mostly surgical)
Research:
-6 months in undergrad (bioengineering) = no pub
-10 week grad. Independent study + master’s thesis
----One pub, second author
---- Potentially two more as 2nd/3rd author

Employment history: too many hours to list
-Worked 30+ hours a week while in undergrad
----Lifeguard
----Study hall monitor
----Tutor
----Intern experiences
-Working full time as a systems engineer
Other:
-Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
-Intern for 1 year at an incubator
-Two provisional patents

Chances for schools? I’m going to still take classes until I get in somewhere but will schools look past my (sGPA: 2.6) from undergrad?

Even with DO replacement, my sGPA is like a 3.4. I really don’t want to retake the math classes if I can avoid it (Calc 1: A, Calc 2: A, Calc 3: B, Calc 4: C, Diff EQ: C, Linear Algebra: B).

I'm pretty much in the same boat with you except I'm taking my MCAT January 22 and starting a post bacc program in spring 16. I ended up with a 2.98 cGPA with an upward trend in all upper division sciences, and have a little more clinical experience. Congrats on the phenomenal MCAT score! Hope everything will work out!

Does it change anything if I am part native American? I mean, I'm like an 1/8 or a 1/16. Just found out about it due to my family doing some cool genealogy projects.

Edit: I don't have a roll number. @Goro @GrapesofRath
This is happening a lot lately.
Without a roll number or evidence of commitment to this community this would not have a positive effect at my school.

Reactions: 2 users
My perception is that being on the tribal roll AND having evidence of commitment to the NA community is what counts.

I have an advisee who had tons (> 15) on IIs and tons of rejects because they saw this white kid show up who had checked the NA box (for a valid reason. I believe that the kid was on a tribal roll, but had no evidence of ever setting foot in an NA nation.

NA applicants are URM, and hence desirable as applicants.

Having fractional NA heritage doesn't do you any favors. Ditto for any URM demographic.

How do medical schools view native americans? based on roll numbers? or based on being recognized by the government?

I am confused.

My perception is that being on the tribal roll AND having evidence of commitment to the NA community is what counts.

I have an advisee who had tons (> 15) on IIs and tons of rejects because they saw this white kid show up who had checked the NA box (for a valid reason. I believe that the kid was on a tribal roll, but had no evidence of ever setting foot in an NA nation.

NA applicants are URM, and hence desirable as applicants.

Having fractional NA heritage doesn't do you any favors. Ditto for any URM demographic.

Gotcha. It is pretty interesting finding out where I come from though! I'll just stick to putting down Caucasian. Thanks for being honest! I appreciate the input @gyngyn @Goro

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty much in the same boat with you except I'm taking my MCAT January 22 and starting a post bacc program in spring 16. I ended up with a 2.98 cGPA with an upward trend in all upper division sciences, and have a little more clinical experience. Congrats on the phenomenal MCAT score! Hope everything will work out!

Thank you! I think school got much easier the older I've gotten. It's all about understanding how you learn! I went from my rough undergrad days to making all A's . It is interesting sitting in class with a bunch of 18-21 year olds and hearing them complain about things though haha.

Reactions: 1 user