cGPA: 3.29 and sGPA 3.43, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doingmybest86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just wanted some input as to what one may think of my chances of getting in with the following stats:
cGPA :3.29
sGPA :3.43
MCAT: PS:7 VR:7 BS:9

For extracurricular:
1.) Served in the Army as a combat medic for almost 5 years (1 deployment to Iraq)
2.) Currently serving as a combat medic in the Army reserves
3.) 2 weeks of experience working in a Gastroenterology clinic (more patient contact)

My ec's are numerous but I feel like that are weighty. When I started school (post Army) I wasn't doing the best until I met a Chemistry professor mentor that helped me believe that I had what it took to pursue my dream. With that being said I had 2.4 my first semester and it was lower than that the following semester; however, since my first year I've worked hard and have increased my GPA substantially. The schools that I plan on applying to (all DO) are:
CUSOM (Top school)
VCOM (Edward Via)
ACOM (Alabama)
WCUCOM (William Carey University)
LUCOM (Liberty University)

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that CUSOM and LUCOM are screening for 24 minimum. You should be fine for ACOM and VCOM campuses. WCU favors people in region, so you'd know if you fall into that category or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks for your service to your country. One of my best and favorite students was also a combat medic. I think you'd be best served by re-taking the MCAT.

Hello I just wanted some input as to what one may think of my chances of getting in with the following stats:
cGPA :3.29
sGPA :3.43
MCAT: PS:7 VR:7 BS:9

For extracurricular:
1.) Served in the Army as a combat medic for almost 5 years (1 deployment to Iraq)
2.) Currently serving as a combat medic in the Army reserves
3.) 2 weeks of experience working in a Gastroenterology clinic (more patient contact)

My ec's are numerous but I feel like that are weighty. When I started school (post Army) I wasn't doing the best until I met a Chemistry professor mentor that helped me believe that I had what it took to pursue my dream. With that being said I had 2.4 my first semester and it was lower than that the following semester; however, since my first year I've worked hard and have increased my GPA substantially. The schools that I plan on applying to (all DO) are:
CUSOM (Top school)
VCOM (Edward Via)
ACOM (Alabama)
WCUCOM (William Carey University)
LUCOM (Liberty University)

Hello and thank you for your gratitude. My goal is to retake it in January but I'm submitting my primary with the 23 and will update with the higher score next year. Thank you for your advice!

Hello and thank you for your gratitude. My goal is to retake it in January but I'm submitting my primary with the 23 and will update with the higher score next year. Thank you for your advice!
If you note on your application that you're going to retake, they will hold it until that new score comes in.

Got acceptances from CUSOM and LUCOM. Going to attend CUSOM.

Reactions: 1 users
First of all congratulations.

If you don't mind sharing. Were you accepted for your first MCAT or you retook it? when did you submit your application?

Got acceptances from CUSOM and LUCOM. Going to attend CUSOM.

Congrats! !
Thank you
First of all congratulations.

If you don't mind sharing. Were you accepted for your first MCAT or you retook it? when did you submit your application?

Thank you. I didn't retake the MCAT and I submitted my primary application sometime in SEP and was verified in OCT I believe. I submitted all of my secondaries in DEC and interviewed at both schools in JAN. Heard back from LUCOM in FEB and CUSOM in MAR.