cGPA 3.3, sGPA 2.97 MCAT 24 help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdschoolmrs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm posting as my husband and I are at a crossroads in deciding if he should still apply this cycle, or wait until the next.
A little backstory..
My husband went to college after High School, and was not focused. He ended up just quitting mid-semester for no apparent reason and received all F's for that semester. Bad, bad choice.
After we got married in 2009 he decided he wanted to return to school. In order to do so, he applied for academic forgiveness and had to start fresh..College Algebra and all. His credit hours were zero'd out on his transcript, but the bad grades were still there. He had been working in an ER as a tech and had really grew interested in medicine, so he changed his major to pre-med. He was not aware that his former grades would haunt him like the plague in the upcoming years.
Since then, he has gone to school full time (12+ hours a semester), worked full time in the Emergency Room (40+ hrs a week) and we have an 8 month old son.
He took the MCAT in May and unfortunately got a 24. We were kind of at a crossroads then as well, because we weren't sure if he should re-take before applying (next available wasn't until August) and he was retaking Org Chem II for the summer semester so there really wasn't any time this summer.
Anyway, after plugging in his #'s into the AACOMAS they were roughly: cGPA 3.3, sGPA 2.97. I don't even know about AMCAS, probably way too low.
Our conflict is, I think he should wait until next cycle to apply. He has plans on re-taking a course that he had previously failed this fall semester. Then I feel he should re-take the MCAT in the spring. He will graduate in May 2014.
He wants to apply, as is, to a few DO schools in December after the fall semester grades are posted. I feel that will be too late in the game and a waste of money.
Any advice? Sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to level-headed and realistic about this process.
Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you. He should be realistic about his chances. I think MD school is out of the question with that GPA (unless he gets 37+ on the MCAT). As far as DO, he is still below average but not out of the running. He should retake the MCAT because that is much easier and faster to fix than his GPA. With a 27+ score, he has a realistic chance of getting admitted to a DO school. It is kind of late to apply this cycle and early application would be VERY beneficial to him especially with below average stats. I would recommend waiting till next cycle. In the meantime, work on getting that MCAT score up, beefing up EC and getting a head start on application information (such as personal statement). Submit primary on the first day next cycle with a higher MCAT and better EC to give a fairly good chance of admission.

If he does not listen to you, point him to this site to do his own research.

He should re-take all F/D/C science coursework to boost the sGPA >3.0.

As of right now, the low sGPA and the low MCAT might net a few interviews, but no accepts. STRONGLY suggest he re-take MCAT as well.

There is no chance for MD schools.

Hi all,
I'm posting as my husband and I are at a crossroads in deciding if he should still apply this cycle, or wait until the next.
A little backstory..
My husband went to college after High School, and was not focused. He ended up just quitting mid-semester for no apparent reason and received all F's for that semester. Bad, bad choice.
After we got married in 2009 he decided he wanted to return to school. In order to do so, he applied for academic forgiveness and had to start fresh..College Algebra and all. His credit hours were zero'd out on his transcript, but the bad grades were still there. He had been working in an ER as a tech and had really grew interested in medicine, so he changed his major to pre-med. He was not aware that his former grades would haunt him like the plague in the upcoming years.
Since then, he has gone to school full time (12+ hours a semester), worked full time in the Emergency Room (40+ hrs a week) and we have an 8 month old son.
He took the MCAT in May and unfortunately got a 24. We were kind of at a crossroads then as well, because we weren't sure if he should re-take before applying (next available wasn't until August) and he was retaking Org Chem II for the summer semester so there really wasn't any time this summer.
Anyway, after plugging in his #'s into the AACOMAS they were roughly: cGPA 3.3, sGPA 2.97. I don't even know about AMCAS, probably way too low.
Our conflict is, I think he should wait until next cycle to apply. He has plans on re-taking a course that he had previously failed this fall semester. Then I feel he should re-take the MCAT in the spring. He will graduate in May 2014.
He wants to apply, as is, to a few DO schools in December after the fall semester grades are posted. I feel that will be too late in the game and a waste of money.
Any advice? Sorry this is so long. I'm just trying to level-headed and realistic about this process.
Thanks for any help.