cGPA 3.37 sGPA 3.4 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have a cGPA of 3.37, sGPA of 3.4, and I have not taken my MCAT yet. I think it is important to mention that I have an increasing GPA trend (I played a varsity sport freshman year and I got a 3.1 and 3.2 but sophomore year I got 3.55 and 3.65.)
Some more information on my application:
EC: I am a white female. I am in a service fraternity (50 hours on nonclinical volunteer work), 100 shadow hours (includes DO, MD, and PA), 200 volunteer hours (direct patient contact), 50 biology research hours, pre-health club, played a varsity sport my freshman year, I am on my school's campus life and community standards committee.
Work: summer 2013 I was a cook, summer 2014 I was a caregiver at a nursing home, Sophomore I was a chemistry TA.
Although I have not taken that MCAT I got a 494 on the Kaplan diagnostics exam (I still have a year until I take the actual exam and hope to get above a 500.)I also am taking a class that will make me a licensed health coach, followed by an 2 credit internship where I coach a patient in my area.

I plan to apply to both MD and DO schools but I have my heart set on MD. Do you think I have a chance at a lower tier medical school?

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a cGPA of 3.37, sGPA of 3.4, and I have not taken my MCAT yet. I think it is important to mention that I have an increasing GPA trend (I played a varsity sport freshman year and I got a 3.1 and 3.2 but sophomore year I got 3.55 and 3.65.)
Some more information on my application:
EC: I am a white female. I am in a service fraternity (50 hours on nonclinical volunteer work), 100 shadow hours (includes DO, MD, and PA), 200 volunteer hours (direct patient contact), 50 biology research hours, pre-health club, played a varsity sport my freshman year, I am on my school's campus life and community standards committee.
Work: summer 2013 I was a cook, summer 2014 I was a caregiver at a nursing home, Sophomore I was a chemistry TA.
Although I have not taken that MCAT I got a 494 on the Kaplan diagnostics exam (I still have a year until I take the actual exam and hope to get above a 500.)I also am taking a class that will make me a licensed health coach, followed by an 2 credit internship where I coach a patient in my area.

I plan to apply to both MD and DO schools but I have my heart set on MD. Do you think I have a chance at a lower tier medical school?

Thanks for any feedback!
A 500 is not good enough for your GPA. That is equivalent to something like a 25-26 on the old MCAT. You need to be over 90th %tile. If you have your heart set on MD then you may need to do something in the way of GPA redemption.

I plan to have a 3.5 or 3.6 by the end of junior year, and I am about to start a Kaplan test prep course so hopefully the that will help me get the score I need.

I plan to have a 3.5 or 3.6 by the end of junior year, and I am about to start a Kaplan test prep course so hopefully the that will help me get the score I need.
Ahh didn't see that you were a junior. You still have time to correct your GPA. You might want to consider taking a gap year, so as to maximize your GPA when you apply. Do NOT rush the MCAT, take it when you are ready.

Reactions: 1 user