cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.3 MCAT 507

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pesho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my MCAT score today and its around my average for the practice exams. It was not shocking but it didn't make me happy. I'll give you the break down of my application, at least the pieces of it, I haven't fully developed my application yet.

Academics

UCSC Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology Major

cGPA 3.4 (Currently in my last year, could change but not by much)
sGPA 3.3 (Could change but not by much)

Strong upward trend upon transfer to UCSC, was at Community College for awhile (Family Issues)

MCAT score 507 PS:127 VR:127 BS:127 Psych:126

Extracurriculars

Shadowed family physician as well as cardiologist at a private practice and UC Davis.
1 publication under my belt, a 2nd hopefully soon.

Volunteered in Afghanistan for foundation that helped the impoverished there gain access to local health services as well as other basic necessities.

Worked in Vietnam for foundation that rebuilt homes and replanted forest for local communities in former minefields

That's the gist of my application, there is probably some more detail I am omitting but i think these are my strongest points. My main concerns are my academics, should I take a post Bach? Retake the MCAT? (Oh dear god please no). I am heavily invested in going to an MD school as opposed to DO, so any advice on which schools to apply/ what course to take after my graduation will be much appreciated! Also on another note I read that there are lower tiered MD schools, but that is a term that makes no sense to me. All MD schools are quality competitive schools to get into. Is there a list of these schools somewhere I can find?

Members don't see this ad.

California (Yikes I know) and I am Afghan. I don't know if that is an under-represented minority.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also i plan sending my application in June 2017.

Since you are a CA resident your chances are low for MD school with your stats. You could try these schools:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
any private schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Henricopolis, Carle Illinois, etc.).
Realistically, you should apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools. Shadow a DO in the coming year since some DO schools require a DO LOR>