MD & DO cGPA 3.41 sGPA 3.55 Upward Trend 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bbroush

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE LOOK AT LATEST POST FOR UPDATED LIST OF SCHOOLS. MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPS OUT HERE IN WAMC!
Happy to finally have my MCAT score, so, here we go!
My question is what are my chances OOS for most mid level MD schools?
I'll add my list later.

I thought I'd be detailed in my thread and I hope to get some great feedback from everyone.
I plan on applying broadly to MD schools (20-25 according to LizzyM score and other factors) & to 3-7 DO schools I feel like would be a good.

I hope to focus on serving hispanic communities here in the US because of my experiences. I also am interested in pursuing a MD/MPH or DO/MPH. I'm also really interested in clinical research and want to be involved in that in Med school.

Background: White, Male UT Resident ( I might be considered a CA Resident, haven't figured it out yet.)

Bi-lingual and fluent in Spanish. Served a 2 year mission for the LDS church in Oregon exclusively with the hispanic community in the Portland Area.

Non-Traditional 25 years old, married with one kid. I've worked anywhere between 20-30 hours all through school. Gone to school full time normally 16-18 credits a semester. Volunteering, research, or leadership responsibilities usually have taken 10-20 hours a week depending on the semester.

AAMCAS GPA
cGPA 3.41 sGPA 3.55

AACOMAS GPA
cGPA~3.7 sGPA~3.78

MCAT 33 1/25/14 exam
10 PS / 12 VR / 11 BS

My trend has been 3.8 - 4.0 over the last couple years. Straight As in Ochem, Physics, Biochem, Biology, Physiology, anatomy, etc.
When I was a freshman I had a semester of E's. (I have since retook all of those classes) It was my first semester after the death of a parent, and I wasn't prepared for college, not an excuse, but when asked I'll explain how I've since learned how to be a better student.

Clinical Volunteering: ~180 hours total

Intern in Cardiac Rehab Unit at local Hospital: 6-8 hrs/week Total: ~124 hours by May
Working with two couples with high risks of heart disease in the cardiac rehab unit.
My focus is mainly on their workout regimen and working with the cardiologist, dietician and cardiac rehab director to make sure they are lowering their risk factors.

Volunteer in ER at Local Hospital 6 hours a month Total 20 hours
Just like any other ER Volunteering, change sheets in rooms, getting patients water, snacks, etc.
Stopped volunteering there because of scheduling issues and getting the internship listed above

Volunteering with Med School Students through CUNORI Med School Exchange ~40 hours over two weeks in August 2013.
(Only a small part of what we did in Guatemala.)
Spent full shifts with Med Students in the ER in Chiquimula, Guatemala. Also spent time in the ICU and OR. Mainly we were just speaking with patients and observing. (Like a volunteer in a hospital stateside)
Also spent time working in rural health outposts with the med students.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: I have a lot of different experiences with a ton of hours (400+)
To name a few:
Meals on Wheels Driver for 6 months
Feeding the Homeless for the last two years ~2 times a month
Over 100 hours as an Anatomy TA
Planned and organized a regional pre-medical conference for may of 2013 and 2014. over 100 hours

Also I could include the volunteering from when I served a two year LDS mission where we spent 4-6 hours a week doing community service, (ESL classes, feeding the homeless, etc.) That would be another 400 hours.

Leadership:

I was the Marketing VP for the Pre-Medical Club at my university for a year about two years ago.
Hours: 120
I was the Pre-Medical Club President at my university for over a year. I started a mentoring program for new students, worked with school administration to start a shadowing program, and coordinated visits from several physicians and medical schools and did a lot of other stuff helping committees to coordinate
Hours: 250+
I'm also an advisor to young men ages 12-17 at my church and have been doing this for over a year.
Hours: 80+

I also helped plan an exchange with students from a Guatemalan medical school, I found participants to help with their housing and transportation here in Utah, I also helped to plan clinical opportunities at local hospitals and recreational activities for the nights and weekends.
Hours: 40+

Shadowing: Currently focusing on finding shadowing opportunities. Planning on having 50+ hours by the time I apply.

Specialties I've been scheduling to shadow (Or have shadowed)
D.O. Sports Med/Family Med
M.D. Sports Med
M.D. Anesthesiologist
(Also will give me an opportunity to shadow many surgical specialties in the OR)
D.O. Orthopod
M.D. Orthopod
M.D. ENT

Research: 2 different projects over the last two years 200+ hours by the time I apply. Several Abstracts. I personally will be presenting at ACSM in May and submitting 2 publications. (I won't give specifics of subject)
Both research projects are with human subjects, based on exercise science.

1st project: heavily involved (around 8 hours a week) from the data gathering stage all the way thru analysis and now we are working on publishing our findings from last year in two separate papers. Hopefully will have it submitted or published soon. (I will probably be 1st or 2nd author on one or both papers). Also an abstract I personally submitted has been accepted to ACSM, while there are 3 other abstracts being presented that I'm an author on for ACSM as well. (I don't know if these count).

2nd project: Created most of the process for testing our hypothesis (worked on this about 2-4 hours a week). I was one of the leaders who recruited students to help with the research as well. Currently still working on this research, from our preliminary findings my professors have filed a patent. (Is this something to include in my application?) It's really awesome original research in the field.

Employment: Product Manager for a consumer electronics company. I do market research to find new products to add to our site. I work with factories overseas, negotiate pricing, production, and manage marketing strategies during and after product launch. I also manage these products once we have them. Currently manage over 200 products.
It's been a great college job. I've worked here for almost 2 years, it's really demanding but I think it's unique and has given me a great perspective on balancing my life, and correlates with medicine. (i.e. managing an inventory of products is like managing a high case load, maybe?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry it looks like a wrote a novel

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your question?

What are my chances for MD? I mainly am applying to MD schools OOS and with a LizzyM score of under 70. Here is my list of schools I am thinking of applying to. Any feedback would be welcome. This list will most likely change:

UPDATED 3/5/14:

Baylor

UCSF

Mayo

UCSD

St. Louis U

U of Miami

U of N. Carolina

UC Irvine

UT Houston

Loma Linda

LOYOLA-STRICHT

Tufts

OHSU

U of Washington

U of Toledo

Wake Forest

Indiana U

U OF OKLAHOMA

U of Arizona Pheonix

U of Louisville

U of Utah

Penn State

U of Arizona Tucson

VIRGINIA TECH

W. Virginia

Virginia Commonwealth

Marshall

Michigan State

Western Michigan

DMU

PCOM

LECOM

TCOM

NSUCOM

Last edited:
There are 16 schools on your list where your chance of an interview is good. That is more than enough.
Yeah I will definitely whittle this list down a lot. Probably to about 20 or less. Do you think some of those schools at the top of the list I have any chance at? Any others I should add? These are the ones I feel like are my reaches: Baylor UCSF Mayo UCSD U of N. Carolina UC Irvine UT Houston

Keep Irvine.
good to hear that. My family lives 10 minutes a way from that campus. Also I know there are a lot of hispanic communities (and other communities) in that area that are definitely underserved. Should I not apply to those other schools?

good to hear that. My family lives 10 minutes a way from that campus. Also I know there are a lot of hispanic communities (and other communities) in that area that are definitely underserved. Should I not apply to those other schools?
That depends on how many donations you want make.

Anyone have suggestions for mid tier schools I should add/delete?

List is pretty good. Mayo is kind of a stat school and they love research heavy applicants and I think their class size is like 50 so that's would def be a reach. I did research over the summer there and Mayo is also gonna be my top reach school lol. If you don't mind S Fl, and since you added UMiami to the list you can add NSUCOM to your DO list.

Members don't see this ad :)
List is pretty good. Mayo is kind of a stat school and they love research heavy applicants and I think their class size is like 50 so that's would def be a reach. I did research over the summer there and Mayo is also gonna be my top reach school lol. If you don't mind S Fl, and since you added UMiami to the list you can add NSUCOM to your DO list.
Great idea! I will have to look into NSUCOM. Yeah Mayo is definitely my reach school, but I hope I at least just interview. I really need to cut down on the amount of schools I have because right now it will cost 1200 for primaries and anywhere between 1500 & 2000 for secondaries depending on how many schools send me secondaries.

I'm spending a lot of time right now researching the curriculum, match lists, and research opportunities of each school. Also I'm researching the towns to find out cost of living, crime, schools (for my daughter who will be a kindergartner my 3rd or 4th year).

If anyone has any insight on these schools please feel free to chime in.

Seems like you would have a good shot at Temple, Jefferson & Drexel if you're willing to move.

Seems like you would have a good shot at Temple, Jefferson & Drexel if you're willing to move.
Thanks for the advice! Do you mean move during the 4 years of medical school? Or move to go to med school there? I'm definitely willing to move anywhere, while my wife is willing to move anywhere as long as it's not too much colder than utah. (She said if I get into Mayo she'd be okay because it's mayo)

Thanks for the advice! Do you mean move during the 4 years of medical school? Or move to go to med school there? I'm definitely willing to move anywhere, while my wife is willing to move anywhere as long as it's not too much colder than utah. (She said if I get into Mayo she'd be okay because it's mayo)
I mean moving to go there. I saw you mentioned you had a family and some people don't want to raise a family in a city environment. Of course there are suburbs to every city. But I think you're a good match for Jeff, Temple & Drexel and those schools are quite OOS friendly (~50% I think).

I mean moving to go there. I saw you mentioned you had a family and some people don't want to raise a family in a city environment. Of course there are suburbs to every city. But I think you're a good match for Jeff, Temple & Drexel and those schools are quite OOS friendly (~50% I think).
Thanks! I'll add them to my list. I think 4 years of a city environment is perfectly fine. Especially if that's one of the best med school options.

Goro's suggested list

MCW

Creighton

St. Louis U

U of Miami

UC Irvine (as per gyngyn's suggestion)

U Utah

UT Houston

Loma Linda

Tufts

U of Toledo

Wake Forest

Penn State

U of Arizona Tucson

VIRGINIA TECH

W. Virginia (only if you're a VA or WV resident)

Virginia Commonwealth

Western Michigan

DMU

PCOM

LECOM

TCOM
RVU
TUNCOM-NV
AZCOM
AT Still-AZ
Western
TUCOM-CA

University of Washington does not favor OOS applicants. I think their class is something like 95% IS, 5% OOS. Loma Linda is a good school, but they are hyper-christians so be prepared to write about how religion has a prevalent influence on your life for their secondaries. I also believe they discourage alcohol consumption (regardless of age). Just in case you were wondering...

University of Washington does not favor OOS applicants. I think their class is something like 95% IS, 5% OOS. Loma Linda is a good school, but they are hyper-christians so be prepared to write about how religion has a prevalent influence on your life for their secondaries. I also believe they discourage alcohol consumption (regardless of age). Just in case you were wondering...
Thanks for the advice!
Yeah Washington is one of the schools I'm probably going to take off my list. Loma Linda wouldn't bother me because I'm LDS. So, I don't drink anyway.

Goro's suggested list

MCW

Creighton

St. Louis U

U of Miami

UC Irvine (as per gyngyn's suggestion)

U Utah

UT Houston

Loma Linda

Tufts

U of Toledo

Wake Forest

Penn State

U of Arizona Tucson

VIRGINIA TECH

W. Virginia (only if you're a VA or WV resident)

Virginia Commonwealth

Western Michigan

DMU

PCOM

LECOM

TCOM
RVU
TUNCOM-NV
AZCOM
AT Still-AZ
Western
TUCOM-CA

Thanks Goro! I will add some of these schools and get rid of some others I have listed. Some of these DO schools listed I know nothing about so I'll have to research them some more.

Hey Bbroush, well done on everything and congratulations for making it this far! I think Goro's list is spot on. Depending on your state residency I would add UC Riverside and possibly UC Davis. Davis might be a stretch with your GPA... What leadership experiences were you planning on listing?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Bbroush, well done on everything and congratulations for making it this far! I think Goro's list is spot on. Depending on your state residency I would add UC Riverside and possibly UC Davis. Davis might be a stretch with your GPA... What leadership experiences were you planning on listing?

I think I will be a Utah resident, but I'm not sure yet. I will add riverside for sure. During A lot of my previously mentioned ECs I was involved in leadership, but here are my leadership experiences that I haven't already mentioned:

I was the Marketing VP for the Pre-Medical Club at my university for a year about two years ago.
Hours 120
I was the Pre-Medical Club President at my university for over a year. I started a mentoring program for new students, worked with school administration to start a shadowing program, and coordinated visits from several physicians and medical schools and did a lot of other stuff helping committees to coordinate
I'm also an advisor to young men ages 12-17 at my church and have been doing this for over a year.

I also helped plan an exchange with students from a Guatemalan medical school, I found participants to help with their housing and transportation here in Utah, I also helped to plan clinical opportunities at local hospitals and recreational activities for the nights and weekends.

Last edited:
I think I will be a Utah resident, but I'm not sure yet. I will add riverside for sure. During A lot of my previously mentioned ECs I was involved in leadership, but here are my leadership experiences that I haven't already mentioned:

Hours 120

Sounds great bro. Nice work! I'd recommend leaving callings out of your EC's list (fellow RM here). My friends had some bad experiences with their interviews' focus being church stuff instead of medicine (among other things). You have enough other good EC's that I doubt you'd even have space for stuff like this. I'd also recommend you to apply the first day available. Good luck with everything!

Okay here is my latest list (I haven't taken Baylor or USD off since they are my two dream schools) :
Baylor

UCSD

St. Louis U

U of Miami

UC Irvine

UT Houston

Loma Linda

Tufts

OHSU

U of Washington

U of Toledo

Wake Forest

Indiana U

Creighton

U of Utah

Drexel

Penn State

U of Arizona Tucson

Virginia Tech

Virginia Commonwealth

UCR

Western Michigan

DMU

PCOM

LECOM

TCOM

Last edited:
Sounds great bro. Nice work! I'd recommend leaving callings out of your EC's list (fellow RM here). My friends had some bad experiences with their interviews' focus being church stuff instead of medicine (among other things). You have enough other good EC's that I doubt you'd even have space for stuff like this. I'd also recommend you to apply the first day available. Good luck with everything!
Yeah that probably won't make it on there once I list out my 15 activities. That is my most church focused EC. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
UCR's mission is to provide physicians for the inland empire. If you can make a case that you will dedicate yourself to this region, I would add it.
That's great! That is an area I would love to practice. I'll add it to my list.

UCR's mission is to provide physicians for the inland empire. If you can make a case that you will dedicate yourself to this region, I would add it.
I just found one issue with UCR and actually all UC schools. I have not taken calculus nor do I plan to; the MSAR shows it was a requirement for last years admission for UCI and UCR. Will it still be a requirement for this next application cycle?

Also does anyone know if stats can fulfill that requirement for schools?

I just found one issue with UCR and actually all UC schools. I have not taken calculus nor do I plan to; the MSAR shows it was a requirement for last years admission for UCI and UCR. Will it still be a requirement for this next application cycle?
It's been this way since I can remember.

Any suggestions for the following list? So unless I take Calc this summer or sometime next year. (not likely) my school list will be the following:

Baylor

UCSD

St. Louis U

U of Miami

UC Irvine
UT Houston

Loma Linda

Tufts

OHSU

U of Washington

U of Toledo

MCW

Wake Forest

Indiana U

Creighton

U of Utah

Drexel

Penn State

U of Arizona Tucson

Virginia Tech
Virginia Commonwealth

UCR
Western Michigan

DMU

PCOM

LECOM

TCOM
AZCOM

Hey recognized you from the Jan. 2014 MCAT. Anyway, I see that you have VCU and Tech listed-- what about EVMS? they have an MD/MPH 5 year program, and I think 50% is out of state (though don't quote me on that).

Hey recognized you from the Jan. 2014 MCAT. Anyway, I see that you have VCU and Tech listed-- what about EVMS? they have an MD/MPH 5 year program, and I think 50% is out of state (though don't quote me on that).
Oh really? I'd absolutely apply there if it accepts that many OOS.

Let's see if I can get some feedback now that I've submitted AMCAS and TMDSAS

This is my list of MDs. PLUS ALL TEXAS SCHOOLS. I was planning on applying to these schools and if I start getting lots of rejections, few II I will apply to some DO schools from my previous list. Let me know what you guys think!

Baylor College of Medicine

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Indiana University School of Medicine

Loma Linda University School of Medicine

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Quinnipiac University SOM

The Commonwealth Medical College

The University of Miami School of Medicine

University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix

University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson

University of Central Florida COM

University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine

University of Louisville School of Medicine

University of Utah School of Medicine

University of Washington School of Medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center

Western Michigan University School of Medicine

Happy to finally have my MCAT score, so, here we go!
My question is what are my chances OOS for most mid level MD schools?
I'll add my list later.

I thought I'd be detailed in my thread and I hope to get some great feedback from everyone.
I plan on applying broadly to MD schools (20-25 according to LizzyM score and other factors) & to 3-7 DO schools I feel like would be a good.

I hope to focus on serving hispanic communities here in the US because of my experiences. I also am interested in pursuing a MD/MPH or DO/MPH. I'm also really interested in clinical research and want to be involved in that in Med school.

Background: White, Male UT Resident ( I might be considered a CA Resident, haven't figured it out yet.)

Bi-lingual and fluent in Spanish. Served a 2 year mission for the LDS church in Oregon exclusively with the hispanic community in the Portland Area.

Non-Traditional 25 years old, married with one kid. I've worked anywhere between 20-30 hours all through school. Gone to school full time normally 16-18 credits a semester. Volunteering, research, or leadership responsibilities usually have taken 10-20 hours a week depending on the semester.

AAMCAS GPA
cGPA 3.41 sGPA 3.55

AACOMAS GPA
cGPA~3.7 sGPA~3.78

MCAT 33 1/25/14 exam
10 PS / 12 VR / 11 BS

My trend has been 3.8 - 4.0 over the last couple years. Straight As in Ochem, Physics, Biochem, Biology, Physiology, anatomy, etc.
When I was a freshman I had a semester of E's. (I have since retook all of those classes) It was my first semester after the death of a parent, and I wasn't prepared for college, not an excuse, but when asked I'll explain how I've since learned how to be a better student.

Clinical Volunteering: ~180 hours total

Intern in Cardiac Rehab Unit at local Hospital: 6-8 hrs/week Total: ~124 hours by May
Working with two couples with high risks of heart disease in the cardiac rehab unit.
My focus is mainly on their workout regimen and working with the cardiologist, dietician and cardiac rehab director to make sure they are lowering their risk factors.

Volunteer in ER at Local Hospital 6 hours a month Total 20 hours
Just like any other ER Volunteering, change sheets in rooms, getting patients water, snacks, etc.
Stopped volunteering there because of scheduling issues and getting the internship listed above

Volunteering with Med School Students through CUNORI Med School Exchange ~40 hours over two weeks in August 2013.
(Only a small part of what we did in Guatemala.)
Spent full shifts with Med Students in the ER in Chiquimula, Guatemala. Also spent time in the ICU and OR. Mainly we were just speaking with patients and observing. (Like a volunteer in a hospital stateside)
Also spent time working in rural health outposts with the med students.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: I have a lot of different experiences with a ton of hours (400+)
To name a few:
Meals on Wheels Driver for 6 months
Feeding the Homeless for the last two years ~2 times a month
Over 100 hours as an Anatomy TA
Planned and organized a regional pre-medical conference for may of 2013 and 2014. over 100 hours

Also I could include the volunteering from when I served a two year LDS mission where we spent 4-6 hours a week doing community service, (ESL classes, feeding the homeless, etc.) That would be another 400 hours.

Leadership:

Hours: 120

Shadowing: Currently focusing on finding shadowing opportunities. Planning on having 50+ hours by the time I apply.

Specialties I've been scheduling to shadow (Or have shadowed)
D.O. Sports Med/Family Med
M.D. Sports Med
M.D. Anesthesiologist
(Also will give me an opportunity to shadow many surgical specialties in the OR)
D.O. Orthopod
M.D. Orthopod
M.D. ENT

Research: 2 different projects over the last two years 200+ hours by the time I apply. Several Abstracts. I personally will be presenting at ACSM in May and submitting 2 publications. (I won't give specifics of subject)
Both research projects are with human subjects, based on exercise science.

1st project: heavily involved (around 8 hours a week) from the data gathering stage all the way thru analysis and now we are working on publishing our findings from last year in two separate papers. Hopefully will have it submitted or published soon. (I will probably be 1st or 2nd author on one or both papers). Also an abstract I personally submitted has been accepted to ACSM, while there are 3 other abstracts being presented that I'm an author on for ACSM as well. (I don't know if these count).

2nd project: Created most of the process for testing our hypothesis (worked on this about 2-4 hours a week). I was one of the leaders who recruited students to help with the research as well. Currently still working on this research, from our preliminary findings my professors have filed a patent. (Is this something to include in my application?) It's really awesome original research in the field.

Employment: Product Manager for a consumer electronics company. I do market research to find new products to add to our site. I work with factories overseas, negotiate pricing, production, and manage marketing strategies during and after product launch. I also manage these products once we have them. Currently manage over 200 products.
It's been a great college job. I've worked here for almost 2 years, it's really demanding but I think it's unique and has given me a great perspective on balancing my life, and correlates with medicine. (i.e. managing an inventory of products is like managing a high case load, maybe?)