cGPA 3.45 MCAT 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtothel0104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 years of hospital volunteer, walking to recovery, where I walk patients after surgery and report back to med students (UCSF)

2 years of research at UCSF. focusing on clinical toxicology. Includes writing up some grants.

70 hours of shadowing an ER Doctor, 70 hours of shadowing a pediatrician, 70 hours of shadowing a cardiologist

Hosted 8 blood drives all over San Francisco

Haiti Medical Mission Trip - performed over 70 teeth extractions (on my own) and assisted in 10 surgeries.

Have my massage therapy license

CA Resident Age 20

What do you think guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be careful how you word your ECs in applications! I would not say you performed extractions on your own and I'm not sure what you mean by help with surgery but be careful about that too. The way medical schools see international trips---- if you are not allowed to perform something in the US you shouldn't do it abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar stats, but less impressive ECs. I would recommend applying to the top SMPs or DO programs as a backup.

2 years of hospital volunteer, walking to recovery, where I walk patients after surgery and report back to med students (UCSF)

2 years of research at UCSF. focusing on clinical toxicology. Includes writing up some grants.

70 hours of shadowing an ER Doctor, 70 hours of shadowing a pediatrician, 70 hours of shadowing a cardiologist

Hosted 8 blood drives all over San Francisco

Haiti Medical Mission Trip - performed over 70 teeth extractions (on my own) and assisted in 10 surgeries.

Have my massage therapy license

CA Resident Age 20

What do you think guys?

As usual, I concur with my learned colleague, and want to add that with the below avg cGPA, you should aim for low tier MD schools like Rosy Franklin, Drexel or NYMC, and any DO program, including mine.

As long as you apply early to 15 OOS schools where you have a good chance at an interview, you will be fine.

(You might want to leave out the extractions).

What is OOS mean? I am trying to figure that out. Thanks man

What is OOS mean? I am trying to figure that out. Thanks man

Out of State

As in, schools that take out of state residents. Some schools don't at all, some heavily favor in state residents and others (private schools) don't give any preference to state of residence.

The MSAR has this information. Check it out.

School list with your GPA in their range, from the MSAR:
EVMS (public, but 50% of their class is OOS)
Tulane
Albany
Drexel
TCMC (private, but want strong ties to Pennsylvania - about 37% OOS matriculation rate)
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Wake Forest
Hofstra
NYMC
U of Vermont (public, but 70% of their class is OOS)
Tufts
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth (public, but 50% of their class is OOS)
USC